Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-Machines Upgrade ???

Options
  • 14-05-2009 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hello, I have an E Machines 550 that is about 6 or 7 years old. The specifications of it are as follows - E Machines 550. 1.60 GHZ, 256 DDR RAM, 40GB Hard Drive, 3D Graphics, Pentium 4 Processor. I am just wondering if I can increase the RAM (it has a spare slot), also any other hints or tips as to increase performance as it is slowing up a bit. It has been defraged & cleaned on an ongoing basis. Many thanks :confused::confused::confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

Don't bother upgrading anything on that machine tbh, it is so old it probably use's a near extinct version of RAM, that would cost ALOT of money.

Your best bet is to just get a new computer, even if you did buy new RAM, you could only buy about 1-2GB and that just wouldn't be noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

FyFyTa wrote: »
    Hello, I have an E Machines 550 that is about 6 or 7 years old. The specifications of it are as follows - E Machines 550. 1.60 GHZ, 256 DDR RAM, 40GB Hard Drive, 3D Graphics, Pentium 4 Processor. I am just wondering if I can increase the RAM (it has a spare slot), also any other hints or tips as to increase performance as it is slowing up a bit. It has been defraged & cleaned on an ongoing basis. Many thanks :confused::confused::confused:

1) 512mb of sdram will cost you around 50 euro and would make a big difference to the running of windows.

2) a full wipe and reinstall of windows wouldn't be a bad idea either.

All in all if your old pc does what you need it to do: ignore the advice of the previous poster.

For a little money and a little elbow grease your pc will be back up to speed.
    Buying a new pc is a waste of money if you do not use the extra power.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭FyFyTa

Thanks a million uberpixie, will I not have to get DDR ram, rather than sdram, as that is what originally came with the machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

If you were happy with the performance of your PC when you first got it, then you will not need to get a new PC. It will do everything today that it did 6/7 years ago.

Reinstall Windows and it will run pretty much like it did ran on day 1.

Buy second hand RAM off ebay, no point getting new parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭FyFyTa

Thanks Godskitchen, I,m off to ebay as we speak!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

If you were happy with the performance of your PC when you first got it, then you will not need to get a new PC. It will do everything today that it did 6/7 years ago.

Reinstall Windows and it will run pretty much like it did ran on day 1.

I think Windows Update would put a stop to that lol.gif

Mmm... bloatware... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭thepcgp

Hi, I hope I can help you with this.

It appears that, as you mentioned, your eMachines 550 notebook uses DDR SDRAM. From what I have read, this model should support at least 1GB total, or 2 x 512MB chips. I'm not certain, as information on this model is very scarce, but it appears that this is correct. If you combine the memory upgrade with a reinstall of Windows and some configuration tweaking (page file settings, windows display effects, startup configuration), you should be able to squeeze a lot more power out of this machine.

You can get 2 x 512MB chips for €70 plus vat. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, rates vary for Windows reinstall. I do everything for €99 all in, including fitting the RAM.

I would advise against using 2nd-hand memory. The guarantee, if there is one, is usually only 7-30 days. Good RAM that is new comes with a lifetime guarantee.

Hope this helps. If you need more information, post again, or PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

That doesn't make alot of sense if the OP is on the internet, as he seems to be, running a modern browser(which is a must from a security point of view) will chew up far,far more resources , never mind the cost of flash on sites like youtube and so on....

I'm not saying he has to get a new machine, but its worth pricing the alternative/vs increase in performance. if he's looking at 100e for just ram and the machine would run at maybe 1/3 or less of the speed of a el-cheapo machine costing ~200 a newer machine is worth looking at.... never mind the MTF of the hd's would be a concern amongst other parts potentially die'n.

Though that said, for a pc that old i would use ebay and get ultra cheapo second hand ram, for ~15/20euro or something who cares if it fails after a year then? (ebay's seller rules would cover DOA from last look)

Advertisement