Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Test Text Message Scam

• 14-05-2009 3:42pm

Earlier I received a text from no number with the message "Testing to see if you get this message" the name comes up as WMM and if you try to extract the data it says there is no number.

I rang O2 and they said it sounds like a subscription scam and to keep and eye on my credit over the next while etc and certainly not to reply to it (which I wasn't going to do anyway!) I, for some reason thought they woudlbe interested in the scam but they're not too bothered!

My friend then received the same text this afternoon, she's with vodafone.

So, just warning that if you get a similar text, don't reply!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I, for some reason thought they woudlbe interested in the scam but they're not too bothered!
    Well it does earn them money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

a friend on O2 got this today as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

This post has been deleted.

Nope they make massive massive money..

A couple of years back back Vodafone were making 800k a month just from Opera Telecom.

Never knew that they earned money out of it.

How Naive I am eh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Nope they make massive massive money..

A couple of years back back Vodafone were making 800k a month just from Opera Telecom.

That's a pretty impressive claim, I'm sure you can back it up...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Gillo wrote: »
    That's a pretty impressive claim, I'm sure you can back it up...

Well I've worked for all the mobile operators bar 3, I've seen the figures I think to be exact it was 860k, that was just for Opera who were the biggest and the rest were a bit lower but not much.

Frankly I was astounded at the value of it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

And is that the actual profit they made or the money they took in (how much then get passed on to opera)?

Gillo wrote: »
    And is that the actual profit they made or the money they took in (how much then get passed on to opera)?

No the premium operators pay the mobile operators a percentage of every message that is trafficked across, VF charge the most followed by 02 then Meteor.

Basically the money is deducted from your credit say 2 euro VF will get around €1.20 of this.

Sorry yes to answer your question thats profit,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Thanks for the warning OP. Not a lot more to this thread so I'm gonna close it off before we get into the whole mobile networks / premium texts debate again.

Thanks

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement