Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you born gay or is it a "choice"?

Options
  • 14-05-2009 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭

Gay men and women.....I'd be interested in hearing your views on this

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Theres an active thread here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

Yea gay people chose it the same way as hetro people chose to be hetro ..
    Cmon now get real will you ....................

Were you also born rude? There's no need for to be taken the defensive stance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

Boston wrote: »
    Were you also born rude? There's no need for to be taken the defensive stance.

Rude ? Where exactly was i rude ?Plus i would like to point out that its not a defendsive stance .Perhaps Its more a sense of incredulous to hear in 2009 people ask such a question about gay people .

oisindoyle wrote: »
    Rude ? Where exactly was i rude ?Plus i would like to point out that its not a defendsive stance .Perhaps Its more a sense of incredulous to hear in 2009 people ask such a question about gay people .

Telling someone to "get real" is rude, and defensive. Just because you've heard the question a hundred times doesn't mean everyone else has.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭smileykey

I don't really think its a question anyone can answer, everyone can only speak from their own point of view and not for everyone. If its a choice I don't know of anyone who remembers making it, I definately don't. Having said that, I'm not opposed to the possibility that I may have chosen it subconsciously at some stage, although I would have been very young doing it if I did.
    I don't understand why people get so defensive about the idea that it may be a choice. If it were a choice, would that make it may more or less acceptable. People defend homosexuality by saying its not our fault, its how we are born - as if to say that if it were any other way it would be perverse, others should tolerate us because we're just victims of some genetic glitch, not because we aren't doing anything wrong.

smileykey wrote: »
    People defend homosexuality by saying its not our fault, its how we are born - as if to say that if it were any other way it would be perverse, others should tolerate us because we're just victims of some genetic glitch, not because we aren't doing anything wrong.

I've never heard that argument being made. People get defensive about the idea that it's a choice because it leads others to challenge them to make a decision not to be gay/bi/trans/whatever. Which is often an affront to the persons sense of identity.

Advertisement