Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affordable Housing Offers

Options
  • 14-05-2009 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭

hi all. we are just getting on the affordable housing lists now. Im slightly confused about how properties are offered.Are the properties offered to a random selection/those on the list longest/suitability/families priority or is it all going down the route of open viewings?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

hi all. we are just getting on the affordable housing lists now. Im slightly confused about how properties are offered.Are the properties offered to a random selection/those on the list longest/suitability/families priority or is it all going down the route of open viewings?
    thanks

it used to be a lottery, but recent ones have been first come first served

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

And whoever has the most money. The needs of the person comes second class in AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

ntlbell wrote: »
    it used to be a lottery, but recent ones have been first come first served

thanks. do you know if this will continue to be the case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Salome

I applied to Fingal - there seems to be different lists - there's a General list for people who don't live in Fingal and there's a Local list for people who have lived in the area for 5 years or more. The Local list is obviously smaller. You are offered a viewing for all properties as they arise but you are offered a property on the basis of your position on the lists.

thanks. do you know if this will continue to be the case?

I'm not sure but I would think you will find somewhere a lot cheaper with no conditions than the affordable housing scheme

prices on the open market are more affordable these days

• Advertisement

I'm not sure but I would think you will find somewhere a lot cheaper with no conditions than the affordable housing scheme

prices on the open market are more affordable these days

possibly, but sadly there is no possibility of saving for a deposit these days with all the cuts

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

possibly, but sadly there is no possibility of saving for a deposit these days with all the cuts

Just so I have this straight .. Affordable Housing is now priced ABOVE the market, and with 100% Mortgages????

:eek:

I don't want to get into your situation but I have a bit of a problem with this

if someone can't affordd to save up a deposit and considering houses are falling at a staggering rate so the deposit required is getting smaller and smaller

rents are falling, ESB/GAS/Food is falling that if one makes the right adjustments they should be very capable of saving a deposit and if they can't afford to save a deposit they probably can't afford a mortgage.

what i'm hearing is i can't afford house A but I can afford house B that costs a hell of a lot more it doesn't make any sense

for your own good, your future and your families future have a look at your outgoings and see what changes can be made to start saving.

if you want you can put your details here and I and others I'm sure will be happy to show you where you can save money which you can use later as a deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 duffer08

Hi, i am going through the process of looking at all the affordable homes also..

i first got the chance to view mellowes quay and the letter read..

"please arrive early as the system is run on a first come first served basis, if in the instance there is multible interest in a particular property then priorty goes to date of application"

this doesnt even make sense but i went along on the day and someone had been queing since that morning and they gave her first choice of the apartments, even though the letter said "in the instance there is multible interest in a particular property then priorty goes to date of application".

i went mad because if it didnt say that on the letter i would have been there in the morning... they didnt listen to what i had to say and gave the apartment to the girl who was there first. but then changed the wording in all the other letters that where sent out afterwords... this just goes to show i was rite...

the whole system was very unorganised and there where alot of complaints.. but wont go into it because i think they have it sorted now.

so now they do it "first come first served". so say hello to a few early mornings!!!

im still debating whether to go with the affordable housing.. everyone is telling me to wait a while as the prices will go down again and that they cant get rid of the affordable housing apartments...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

if someone can't affordd to save up a deposit and considering houses are falling at a staggering rate so the deposit required is getting smaller and smaller

rents are falling, ESB/GAS/Food is falling that if one makes the right adjustments they should be very capable of saving a deposit and if they can't afford to save a deposit they probably can't afford a mortgage.

what i'm hearing is i can't afford house A but I can afford house B that costs a hell of a lot more it doesn't make any sense

for your own good, your future and your families future have a look at your outgoings and see what changes can be made to start saving.

if you want you can put your details here and I and others I'm sure will be happy to show you where you can save money which you can use later as a deposit.

i totally agree with NTL here. hes bang on the money

• Advertisement

D3PO wrote: »
    i totally agree with NTL here. hes bang on the money

:eek::eek::eek:

I do save some money indeed. but i wudnt be in a position to get the deposit for a few years. I need to rent near the dart line and so the rent is higher there and not coming down too much yet anyway. After doing the sums by having a mortage we would save 400euro a month at current rates. I wont really go into my situation but we would be well able to afford the mortgage. We are applying for affordable housing(and do qualify) in the hopes of getting a house while we save.

:eek::eek::eek:

I know its a friday I think something wierd is happening :D:D

cheers only saw that now :D

duffer08 wrote: »
    Hi, i am going through the process of looking at all the affordable homes also..

i first got the chance to view mellowes quay and the letter read..

"please arrive early as the system is run on a first come first served basis, if in the instance there is multible interest in a particular property then priorty goes to date of application"

this doesnt even make sense but i went along on the day and someone had been queing since that morning and they gave her first choice of the apartments, even though the letter said "in the instance there is multible interest in a particular property then priorty goes to date of application".

i went mad because if it didnt say that on the letter i would have been there in the morning... they didnt listen to what i had to say and gave the apartment to the girl who was there first. but then changed the wording in all the other letters that where sent out afterwords... this just goes to show i was rite...

the whole system was very unorganised and there where alot of complaints.. but wont go into it because i think they have it sorted now.

so now they do it "first come first served". so say hello to a few early mornings!!!

im still debating whether to go with the affordable housing.. everyone is telling me to wait a while as the prices will go down again and that they cant get rid of the affordable housing apartments...
    the process sounds quite confused....

I do save some money indeed. but i wudnt be in a position to get the deposit for a few years. I need to rent near the dart line and so the rent is higher there and not coming down too much yet anyway. After doing the sums by having a mortage we would save 400euro a month at current rates. I wont really go into my situation but we would be well able to afford the mortgage. We are applying for affordable housing(and do qualify) in the hopes of getting a house while we save.

The dart line is a pretty wide area and should be able to find somewhere cheaper if the landlord is not buding then put more preasure on them, it's cheaper for them to lower your rent than risk having an empty place the rental market is flooded.

remember current rates are not permanent these rates will rise and you should stress test the repayments against rates of around 5% they won't stay this low

Be very very careful don't let your want for a home rule basic financial sense.

The dart line is a pretty wide area and should be able to find somewhere cheaper if the landlord is not buding then put more preasure on them, it's cheaper for them to lower your rent than risk having an empty place the rental market is flooded.

remember current rates are not permanent these rates will rise and you should stress test the repayments against rates of around 5% they won't stay this low

Be very very careful don't let your want for a home rule basic financial sense.
    of course, i realise that about the rates. we are going to buy a house and looking at the affordable housing as an option. the purchase of the house whenever that might be will be throughly considered make no mistake!!! :D

This might be head off a brick wall stuff here, but, I presume you are allowing for interest rate rises of at least 3-4% in your calculations?

Also what term is the mortgage you are talking about? Please don't say 35-40 years....

spockety wrote: »
    This might be head off a brick wall stuff here, but, I presume you are allowing for interest rate rises of at least 3-4% in your calculations?

Also what term is the mortgage you are talking about? Please don't say 35-40 years....

indeed taking interest into account. i wont go into specifics but suffice to say we are looking at affordable housing and just feeling our way really.there seems to be a hugely anti housing buying vibe coming through here.but dont worry all financial aspects will be covered (just not on boards.ie :D )

indeed taking interest into account. i wont go into specifics but suffice to say we are looking at affordable housing and just feeling our way really.there seems to be a hugely anti housing buying vibe coming through here.but dont worry all financial aspects will be covered (just not on boards.ie :D )

35 year mortgage then...!

There is no huge anti housing buying vibe here.. there is a huge "lessons learned from the last 10 years" vibe going on.

• Advertisement

spockety wrote: »
    35 year mortgage then...!

There is no huge anti housing buying vibe here.. there is a huge "lessons learned from the last 10 years" vibe going on.

hehehe nope!!!!
    ah well lessons learned are valuable indeed.Im not complaining or anything FYI. Tats why im on this board to find out more info from actual people!!!!

well we could always bullsh|it you tell you to go 100% mortgage over 40 years on an overpriced dogbox that you prob will never get out of and be stuck their for life.

Or you can have a bit of honesty.

Do you think people who are now entering 100k+ of negative equity would of liked to hear a bit of honesty a year or two ago? ;)

there seems to be a hugely anti housing buying vibe coming through here.

I wouldnt say that. I think the vibe is more one of ensure lessons have been learned and to ensure others dont make similar mistakes.

i mean hosue buying needs to start again at some stage otherwise we would never get out of the rut were currently in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I wouldnt say that. I think the vibe is more one of ensure lessons have been learned and to ensure others dont make similar mistakes.

i mean hosue buying needs to start again at some stage otherwise we would never get out of the rut were currently in
    To be fair, although the 'rut' we are in is largely due to our sick over-reliance on the housing / construction sector, anyone who thinks Ireland Inc will get back on the road to recovery because of increased activity in this sector is delusional. We need to accept that the past 10 years were madness and economic suicide and get on with promoting and building a real economy. Lower house prices are part of the cure, not part of the disease!

ionapaul wrote: »
    To be fair, although the 'rut' we are in is largely due to our sick over-reliance on the housing / construction sector, anyone who thinks Ireland Inc will get back on the road to recovery because of increased activity in this sector is delusional. We need to accept that the past 10 years were madness and economic suicide and get on with promoting and building a real economy. Lower house prices are part of the cure, not part of the disease!

I never said that the rut will dissapear due to increased construction

I never said that the rut will dissapear due to increased construction
    Sorry if it looked like I was implying you did - just wanted to state for the record that I think we need to look elsewhere for solutions to our problems! :) Too many people seem to believe that the end of the recession = how it was in 2005 / 2006. That just isn't how it will be...

ionapaul wrote: »
    Sorry if it looked like I was implying you did - just wanted to state for the record that I think we need to look elsewhere for solutions to our problems! :) Too many people seem to believe that the end of the recession = how it was in 2005 / 2006. That just isn't how it will be...

sorry i phrased my post badly on rereading it but Im not one of those in denial.

When we get out of this I think its fair to say house prices will be in and around the year 2000 levels and will then shuld go through a phaze of stabilisation before gradually growing at normal levels in line with inflation.

I agree - I think 2000 prices are quite likely - I can't see them any lower or much lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 stauntj

I've just made it to the top of the list of the city council affordable housing scheme. What the hell was the point in waiting, prices are astronomical for so called affordable. I also see a set of two storey houses on the clybaun road up for grabs...from other board comments i can see that these are being refused since the middle of last year.

Houses on Headford Road, 216,000, supposed market value 240,000
    Houses in ballybane 210-220k, no market value stated.

I guess the reason I and probably lots of other people have made it to the top of the list is because lots of others have already refused them.

So much for my almost 3 year wait.

• Advertisement
Advertisement