Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing a run

Options
  • 14-05-2009 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going to start keeping a couple of chickens for eggs. Been doing a lot of reading up on the topic as it'll be a new venture for me. I'm probably going to make a roost and run with an old rabbit hutch I have which should be big enough for 2 hens and attach a homemade run made from timber and chickenwire. (That's the plan anyway - I may just end up buying an ark :D).

I also have a rabbit and guinea pig who are sharing a larger hutch. Would they be able to share the run with chickens? They're all vegetarians and I can't imaging either of the four legged guys attacking the hens but not sure of the other way around. The plan would be to have the rabbit hutch at one end of the run and the roost at the other with a shared grass space between them. Anyone got an opinion on this? Am I crazy or would they be ok together?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

I've seen rabits and chickens share a hutch in an animal farm down in Leitrim. (or is it up?:D)
    They seemed to get on fine and there were never any fights that I saw but I have heard that guinea pigs shouldn't be kept with rabbits. I think its because guinea pigs are quite delicate and bounding bunnies can hurt them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Hey its worth a try, see how they get on, i have a rabbit also and when he is in the his pen my cat gets in to play with him, terrified me the first time he got in but they get on great, i couldn't believe it a cat and a rabbit, doesn't make sense. And as you know yourself cats are deffinelty not vegitarians. mide you i dont know anything about chickens, but try it and supervise them the first few times. it might work :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Guinea pigs and rabbits get on great. At least our ones do. And in pet shops they're always together.

Thanks Lauragoesmad - at least I know it's workable in theory. So I'll put it in practice and see - it's not the end of the world if they need separate runs but it would be a great spacesaver if they get on.

Advertisement