Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stainless steel thermos turning soup into evil vinegar?

• 14-05-2009 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭

I have a Stanley stainless steel food jar thingymabob and I've noticed lately that any tomato based soups I have from it are coming out tasting a lot more vinegary than they went in and also with a bit of a foamy thing going on. The first few times it happened I thought I'd gotten fairy liquid into it out of sheer dosiness but it doesn't taste like soap. Just weirdly acidic and foamy. I seem to remember that there are some foods you shouldn't keep in metallic containers, could that be what's going on here? I nearly cried throwing my evil smelling lunch into the bin today!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

It's probably the acid in the tomatoes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I too would say it's the acid in the tomatoes reacting with the metal. I'm not a fan of the steel thermos, even tea isn't the same from them. I prefer the old-fashioned thermos flasks. They keep your drinks and soups hotter for longer too.

Advertisement