Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's everyone at then in the world of FM?

Options
  • 14-05-2009 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭

Just went through a long period of not being able to play, only finally got to boot up the game a week or so ago and am now into my third season (the longest game I've played yet!) with (guess who?) Arsenal! ;)

Currently I've won the league twice in a row but can't get anywhere in the cups. Think it's down to over confidence so i'm putting a lot of time and effort into those stupid team talks and press conferences (i.e. not skipping them).

so just wondering what people are at now the forum's gone so quiet. are the usual suspects still playing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Managing Fleetwood Town at the moment in the Blue Square North. Finished 7th in my first season so no playoffs there. Leading the league by 4 points after 16 games this time around though.

A loan linkup with Blackburn has done me wonders to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Managed to stay away from FM for the past month due to wanting to study. Then last night, 3 days before my last exam I start another game with Arsenal... :pac:
    Really unsure of formations, want to play 4-3-3 but would need to pick up some wingers and I find it very hard to play with Vela on his own up top. which means he sits on the bench or gets sold. And that just doesn't sit right with me :cool:

Wanted to play my Birmingham game but I started it before the third patch and not bothered spending another season just getting to the Premiership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Frisbee wrote: »
    Managed to stay away from FM for the past month due to wanting to study. Then last night, 3 days before my last exam I start another game with Arsenal... :pac:
    Really unsure of formations, want to play 4-3-3 but would need to pick up some wingers and I find it very hard to play with Vela on his own up top. which means he sits on the bench or gets sold. And that just doesn't sit right with me :cool:

heh, that's exactly what i'm doing. Arsenal with 4-3-3. i don't player with proper wingers for the most part, I put one of Nasri/Vela on the left and Walcott/Ninis on the right. I like finishers in those positions anyway (as opposed to crossers of the ball), as it can be difficult to get the most out of a lone forward in 9.0.3 imo. It doesn't let them achieve their full potential i guess, but it works for the team :)

heh, that's exactly what i'm doing. Arsenal with 4-3-3. i don't player with proper wingers for the most part, I put one of Nasri/Vela on the left and Walcott/Ninis on the right. I like finishers in those positions anyway (as opposed to crossers of the ball), as it can be difficult to get the most out of a lone forward in 9.0.3 imo. It doesn't let them achieve their full potential i guess, but it works for the team :)

It's more of a 4-2-1-2-1 that I'd play really to be technical.
    I just feel someone the likes of Vela is completely wasted out on the wing

It's more of a 4-2-1-2-1 that I'd play really to be technical.
    I just feel someone the likes of Vela is completely wasted out on the wing

meh, mine is pretty similar 4-1-2-2-1

typically...

Asenjo
    Sagna-Leo-Toure-Clichy
    Veloso
    --Fabregas--Camacho--
    Walcott
    Vela
    Ade

i just have the ball being played through the middle and the arrows going forward on Walcott/Vela. that tends to cause them to come narrow and play around the edge of the box when the ball's in the final third. he'll never win world player of the year this way, but he gets around 15 goals a season, and a shed load of assists so i'm happy enough this way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

In the same boat as Frisbee. Exams meant that I couldn't play for a while. Back playing now though. Going to start a new game, but can't decide who to be.

meh, mine is pretty similar 4-1-2-2-1

typically...

Asenjo
    Sagna-Leo-Toure-Clichy
    Veloso
    --Fabregas--Camacho--
    Walcott
    Vela
    Ade

i just have the ball being played through the middle and the arrows going forward on Walcott/Vela. that tends to cause them to come narrow and play around the edge of the box when the ball's in the final third. he'll never win world player of the year this way, but he gets around 15 goals a season, and a shed load of assists so i'm happy enough this way.

Jayzus, almost snap:

Almunia
    Sagna-Fazio-Toure-Clichy
    ----Veloso---Camacho--
    Fabregas
    Walcott
    Vela
    Ade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

I'm coming to the end of my second season with Sheffield Wednesday (but game is in 2013), say I'll finish in 8th place which would be a slight improvement on 9th last year.:pac: The board accepting a bid for Ched Evans on the 31st of August scuppered my promotion chances and around 4 of my first team are refusing to sign new contracts so summer will be a time for rebuilding methinks...

Jayzus, almost snap:

Almunia
    Sagna-Fazio-Toure-Clichy
    ----Veloso---Camacho--
    Fabregas
    Walcott
    Vela
    Ade

lol, what's left in your squad then?

my reserve team would be

Grillo (regen)
    Santon-Djourou-Hoyte-Insua
    Haruna
    ----Denilson---Ramsey--
    Ninis
    Nasri
    Balotelli

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

3 successive promotions to get Bradford City back into the premiership. In pre-season now and building a squad capable of finishing top half. With sales and my prudence in the lower leagues i have 24m to work with as well as some already decent free transfers.

Also, started a game with Harrogate Town in the Conference North and got them promoted at a canter first season. Then, one of my local clubs was promoted to the Conference North (i.e. not previously in my game) so I resigned and have begun again in the Conference North with Guiseley. Roll on Premiership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Just left Stirling Albion in the Scottish First Division to try revive Darlington who find themselves in debt and stuck in the relegation zone of the Blue Square Premier after 10 games. That was 3 weeks ago. Havn't played since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

I've started playing FM08 again... Any ideas on what team I should manage? Nothing too hard like, I want to ease myself back in

I've started playing FM08 again... Any ideas on what team I should manage? Nothing too hard like, I want to ease myself back in

PSV are without a doubt the easiest team to play as in FM08. winning the Champions League can be a bit difficult though, but the rest is a snooze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Mac Masters

From my experience I found AC Milan to be a nice easy team to be. In all competitions they are easily capable of winning, they have uefa and so they shouldn't have tough european opposition! There prediction is like 3rd or 4th too and they are nice and rich, I won everything in my first season and I was given about £160 million to spend in the summer after! Plus Pato if you use him wisely, can become the best player in the world! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Currently managing Sociedade Esportiva Ypiranga Futebol Clube in the Brazilian First Division having taken over when they were promoted to the 3rd division, 128 teams chasing 4 promotion places. The quality of the regens in Brazil is great although the number of injuries and sendings off is a bit crazy.
    All part of one of the challenges on the SI forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Started a new game as Cork City a couple of days ago. Got to the first round of the UEFA cup before being beaten 8-0 on aggregate by Man City. I won the Setanta cup and came second in the league.

Not bad considering i had a small squad and a load of injury problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

PSV are without a doubt the easiest team to play as in FM08. winning the Champions League can be a bit difficult though, but the rest is a snooze.
    I was thinking more Feyenoord-type. Easy, but not PSV-domestic easy.
    Might give Feyenoord or Djurgardens a go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

DSB wrote: »
    Managing Fleetwood Town at the moment in the Blue Square North. Finished 7th in my first season so no playoffs there. Leading the league by 4 points after 16 games this time around though.

A loan linkup with Blackburn has done me wonders to be fair.

2 successive promotions here, upto League 2, have gone full time. Still don't think I was able to find the right quality of player though, and I reckon I've a battle to stay up this year.

Advertisement