Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiring/Renting Guns in Dublin

Options
  • 14-05-2009 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello, I hope that I've posted this in the right forum but if not can a moderator move it to the correct one for me? Thanks.

I was listening to a podcast earlier which was an interview with Neil Jordan and what he said in it caught me off–guard. He said: "I live in Dublin and it's awash with weapons at the moment because they closed down the IRA basically and all those weapons had to go somewhere, and what they do there is they hire them. If you want to get a gun, you hire it for an evening."

Before anyone says it: I am not trying to rent a gun or anything like it! I've been writing a piece about the rise in guns in Ireland (specifically Dublin) and in my few weeks of researching never came across anything like what Neil Jordan has mentioned. He sounded fairly sure of it, but is that really true, or fabricated? Is it arm dealers that are doing this? Any info at all would be very much appreciated. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

*sound of head slowly banging on table*
    No.
    That.
    Is.
    Not.
    Being.
    Done.
    By.
    Registered.
    Firearm.
    Dealers.

Feck's sake. Look, just because some druggie sticks a needle in his arm to inject heroin, you don't go pondering whether we should shut down hospitals to stop the spread of needles, do you?

If you really want information on legally held firearms, there are literally thousands of threads in this forum on that topic. If you want information on gun crime, try the Emergency Services forum. We're a sports forum, not a crime forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

ah ya the old you have "guns" so you must know all about the criminal world attitude lol

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Sparks wrote: »
    Feck's sake. Look, just because some druggie sticks a needle in his arm to inject heroin, you don't go pondering whether we should shut down hospitals to stop the spread of needles, do you?

Spot on. Next you will have to apply for a license to keep a kitchen knife in the utility room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

rugby89 wrote: »
    I was listening to a podcast earlier which was an interview ........

Hi rugby89,

Don't be surprised if people are a little 'touchy' in this forum about criminal activitiy with guns. This forum is for people with licences and we go through a series of background checks by the Gardaí to get a firearm for target shooting etc.

At the moment there's a Bill published by the Minister for Justice which could harm the sport of target shooting and other shooting sports; some people incorrectly think that legal sports shooting is in some way linked to criminal activity, this is by inaccurate/lazy reporting in the media and a lack of knowledge about the sport(s).

Any licensed sporting shooter who heard of a gun being for sale or for rent, would dial 999 and ask for the Garda Emergency Response Unit to resond. We LOVE seeing criminals going to jail, especially for firearm offences.

Licensed shooters love their sport/clubs etc. and that's why we're very quick to defend it in the most vehement terms.

So your question is best asked in The Emergency Services forum, perhaps a Garda working in Dublin might have heard of such activity?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Sorry, but you are talking about Neil Jordan the film director?
    The guy makes movies and hangs out in Castletownbere, what would he know about renting illegal firearms?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I would also suggest you go and speak to some of the licensed Firearms Dealers maybe a shooting club and at first hand see the requirements placed on them with regards shooting and shooting ranges. Talk to the members, Please if your writing an article get all the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Plus the fact it is old hat to be renting a gun for criminal purposes!
    Back in the 1980s maybe.Nowadays,appx 3 grand gets you a new ,never fired,never used in a crime , freshly imported 9mm from Europe.
    So your source,mr Jordan is a tad behind the times on his info as well.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Spot on. Next you will have to apply for a license to keep a kitchen knife in the utility room.

You have a kitchen knife :eek::eek:

And a utility room!!! is that where your criminal gang hangs out?????:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

is that where your criminal gang hangs out?????:eek::eek::eek:

I'm afraid not, there isn't place to swing a 12 bore in it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

OP,

Why do you assume that we would know about illegal firearms activity. Have you found "Guns for hire" in our for sale/wanted forum. If you have, well maybe its something the mods missed and you should tell them about it.

Crims and scummers have very little interest in our past time. They get their guns with the drug shipments. I feel you have been listening to the Minister for Injustice, Dermie Aherne for too long. This man cannot differentiate between licensed firearms holders and scummers.

Notice how we use the word firearm and not weapon, as weapon signifies the intention to inflict pain.

It would be more in your line to do an article about how law abiding citizens, who, just because they possess licensed firearms are being discriminated against.

As G17 said this is a touchy subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Jonty wrote: »
    OP,

Why do you assume that we would know about illegal firearms activity. Have you found "Guns for hire" in our for sale/wanted forum. If you have, well maybe its something the mods missed and you should tell them about it.

Crims and scummers have very little interest in our past time. They get their guns with the drug shipments. I feel you have been listening to the Minister for Injustice, Dermie Aherne for too long. This man cannot differentiate between licensed firearms holders and scummers.

Notice how we use the word firearm and not weapon, as weapon signifies the ability to inflict pain.

Well said Jonty and if rugby89 wants a true insight into shooting sports maybe he might visit some of the ranges and put a positive article together.

Sikamick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

OP,

Notice how we use the word firearm and not weapon, as weapon signifies the ability to inflict pain.

It would be more in your line to do an article about how law abiding citizens, who, just because they possess licensed firearms are being discriminated against.

As G17 said this is a touchy subject.
    + 1 gazillion on the above, with one amendment:
    I would change "weapon signifies the ability to inflict pain" to "weapon signifies the intention to inflict pain"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Sparks wrote: »
    *sound of head slowly banging on table*
    No.
    That.
    Is.
    Not.
    Being.
    Done.
    By.
    Registered.
    Firearm.
    Dealers.
    Don't think he said that, he said ex-IRA are hiring out guns. I'd assume you'd have to know the guys to rent it off them. Don't think this would go unnoticed though. A bunch of lads with fully automatic AKs would be suspicious out duck hunting. Irelands just to small for this to happen I think. More likely the IRA would sell on the guns to other terrorist organizations overseas.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

ScumLord wrote: »
    More likely the IRA would sell on the guns to other terrorist organizations overseas.

Or have them de-commissioned as part of the peace process. You know the one they were constantly on about for a few years back. I'm sure the decommissioning body didn't allow the Ra de-commission by selling there stuff on to ETA etc.

Anyhow most of the guns being used in Dublin are coming in along with the Drug Shipments. The only thing being provided by ex-provos may be the skills required to pull the trigger and get away.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I've been writing a piece about the rise in guns in Ireland
    Please if your writing an article get all the facts.
    Why do you assume that we would know about illegal firearms activity.
    Looks like he came for info. Posting questions about guns in the Shooting forum guns would get more of a informative than posting in the Consumer Issues forum.

=-=

OP: look into how some of the pipe bombs turning up in Blanchardstown look the same as those made by the INLA and the PIRA. What you're looking for may be found down that line of investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

ScumLord wrote: »
    Don't think he said that
    Yes he did.
    Is it arm dealers that are doing this? Any info at all would be very much appreciated. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

the_syco wrote: »
    Looks like he came for info. Posting questions about guns in the Shooting forum guns would get more of a informative than posting in the Consumer Issues forum.

=-=

OP: look into how some of the pipe bombs turning up in Blanchardstown look the same as those made by the INLA and the PIRA. What you're looking for may be found down that line of investigation.

I know about vetting horses. Does that mean I know what performing enhancing drugs make horses go faster?

I'd bet if the OP posed a question about how to dope horses and make them go faster/slower in the equestrian forum, he/she would get a similar response.

Nobody here is attacking the OP, its just we're sick of the "Oh Jonty goes deerstalking and lamping foxes sure he must know about gunslinging and where to get illegal guns"

The emergency services forum might get a better response.

Shooting Forum = Responsible Law Abiding Citizens using LICENSED firearms in a legal manner.

Scummer on Streetcorner = Knack that slings dope and throws in a few "UNLICENSED" glocks to seal the deal.

I can't put it any simpler

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I probably should have done this earlier, but now there really isn't anywhere this thread can productively go, so I'm closing it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement