Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lethal Crossbow for sale in city shop.

Options
  • 14-05-2009 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭

A certain store in the city is selling a lethal crossbow for €70. Couldn't believe what I was seeing. Also some of the other stuff for sale in there is seriously dodgey - vicious looking knives, swords and airsoft guns.

Can't believe this stuff is legal. I know for a fact that some of it is ending up in the hands of children too.

The crossbow is the worst thing though. The bolts would kill you no problem and judging by the other stuff for sale there I'd hate to see the type of person that these are being sold to.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

RonMexico wrote: »
    A certain store in the city is selling a lethal crossbow for €70. Couldn't believe what I was seeing. Also some of the other stuff for sale in there is seriously dodgey - vicious looking knives, swords and airsoft guns.

Can't believe this stuff is legal. I know for a fact that some of it is ending up in the hands of children too.

The crossbow is the worst thing though. The bolts would kill you no problem and judging by the other stuff for sale there I'd hate to see the type of person that these are being sold to.

Thankfully these people are more likely to kill themselves with these weapons than to be capable of using them properly and hitting another person.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Well a well known chain of sport stores were/are selling compound bows with five arrows for 50 quid.

A friend of mine brought her son there to get some stuff with his birthday money, and she was waiting by the door while he picked out something for himself. He went to the till with the bow and was served and then was caught with it by my friend, who went straight back with it and got a refund.

He is 12 years of age and he was not asked about his age at the till. Went in myself a bit after it for a look and the bows are for adults and the arrows/bolts are metal tipped. The packaging had an age warning on it, and when I asked one of the workers there about them, he laughed and said they were great craic and that some of the guys working there had used one in a storeroom upstairs and said it went right into the plaster wall they had.

To me that kind of thing would be a handy weapon for a scumbag. Granted they may not have the best aim over distance, but at close range they could be deadly.

Thankfully these people are more likely to kill themselves with these weapons than to be capable of using them properly and hitting another person.

A crossbow is quite easy to use, far easier than a bow. It is basically point and pull the trigger. At close range it is harder to miss than to connect with your shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

And the shop on william street "darkside2 that sells all the swords and crossbows and replica guns is run by a guy running in the local elections

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Torches and pitchforks at the ready folks :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

An File wrote: »
    Torches and pitchforks at the ready folks :rolleyes:

Well in a big town that is better known by the rest of the country for murder and crime rather than it's good points, I would have thought that the selling of such items without age checks or similar, is something that should be flagged.

But maybe you are right and it is a storm in a teacup. It is not as though there are plenty of scum in this town who would think nothing of using such items on an animal or on another person. Oh wait.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

I am totally getting that crossbow, but don't worry guys. I'm not a sick weirdo who will use it on animals. That's just wrong. People will do just fine. Animals don't express the pain enough for my liking.

the guy running for election that owns the shop is xxxxxxxxxxxxx running as an independent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

You serious?? Jesus...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx will get a fright when he reads/listens to todays news whereby the minister has made handguns and swords along with other lethal implements illegal.

• Advertisement

About time too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

xxxxxx is one of the soundest guys you could meet. His shop doesn't solely revolve around knives and airsoft guns, and anytime I've spoken to the guy, he has been nothing but polite and helpful. I wish him well if he is running in the election, its nice to see someone getting involved for the sake of their community.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Seriously do banning those samurai swords etc is just a token gesture to say look what we are doing,for feck sake all you have to do is go to your kitchen and pull out a stake knife if you realy want to do damage to another human being!
    A hurley, a screwdriver, a baseball bat, a crow bar, a shovel, a hammer, an axe, a strimmers, a babys pram you could kill a person with just about any random object lying around the house every day!
    You need to deal with the people who have the ability to carry out the act in the first place!
    I mean there are millions of cars passing up and down the countrys roads all potential weapons in the wrong hands!

anything is a weapon but a scummer is going to love the idea of a crossbow or a replica gun or a big sword.that guy is a clown from what alot of people say and he got a dodgy claim but can run a shop

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

anything is a weapon but a scummer is going to love the idea of a crossbow or a replica gun or a big sword.that guy is a clown from what alot of people say and he got a dodgy claim but can run a shop

Your correct but the same people will just find another weapon if their intentions are bad anyway!

How many parents hand their child a steak knife to play with? On the other hand I have seen too many kids with these airsoft guns, bought for them by their knuckledragging parents or older brothers/sisters.

I can understand that some of the swords are replicas from movies.

But what is the reason for selling a crossbow? I have seen too many kids gawking in the windows of these places as well as browsing inside no doubt entralled by the various weapons, bongs and other crap for sale.

Nothing positive about these places and they attract a seedy scummy element.

I'm sure as hell wouldn't vote for someone who runs one of these places, not my idea of a good community representative but each to their own I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭dingdong1

i love the amount of assumptions being made here, gets me everytime :pac:

the 'knives' he sells wouldn't even cut butter, let alone a person - i've seen them in person. even though they are non-functional he requests for ID all the same[+18 stickers plastered all over the place] they are purely decorative, hence the display cases and elaborate sheaths etc that are sold with them.

when it comes to knifes 99% of scumbags either make their purchase from the local supermarket or hardware store.lets be realistic here people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

i'm amazed by the amount of people bothered by a crossbow for sale. Are ye aware how easy it is to get a gun lads

That doesn't make it ok.

I think these shops should be shut down.

i doubt a gun is easy to get..fellas talking crap..like you see on the news yeah i could get you a gun in 15 min bud kinda type

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

i doubt a gun is easy to get..fellas talking crap..like you see on the news yeah i could get you a gun in 15 min bud kinda type

How many crossbow related murders have there been in this country in the past 10 years? Now, how many gun related murders have there been in the same period? Think about it.

There's a stink of over-reaction in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

You think that's bad? I was in Dunnes the last day and they were selling pillows.... all the scumbags would have to do is wait til their nemesis is asleep and then smother him. I was so shocked I went to find the manager to give out. As I was going through the store, still somewhat in a daze, I saw an entire aisle dedicated to the sale of water!! FFS, don't Dunnes know about how many people drown every year?

Hell in a handbasket, that's what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

i could think of a at least 20 things in a toolbox or shed that could be just as dangerous as a crossbow... fair enough a crossbow has no other defined purpose than to cause harm but im sure someone charging at you with a pitchfork could be just as dangerous:D

i'm not in anyway condoning the selling of a crossbow or its use but there is a bit of an overreaction here. sure whats stopping someone from getting a slingshot from a euro2 shop and firing a few nails or whatever....

i agree it shouldn't be sold but i wouldn't go alerting the village elders..... i'd be more concerned with the vast amount of easily obtainable guns on irelands streets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Cant belive this is even up for discussion. Can nobody remember 5 yrs ago when about ten people from the 'fued' were arrested, prosecuted outside suprmacs onthe ennis road?
    About ten more re believed to have escaped. oh yeah the riot thats it, weapon of choice - golf cues, hurleys and guns? dunno but i think there was one.
    Get a grip poeple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

i could think of a at least 20 things in a toolbox or shed that could be just as dangerous as a crossbow... fair enough a crossbow has no other defined purpose than to cause harm but im sure someone charging at you with a pitchfork could be just as dangerous:D

i'm not in anyway condoning the selling of a crossbow or its use but there is a bit of an overreaction here. sure whats stopping someone from getting a slingshot from a euro2 shop and firing a few nails or whatever....

i agree it shouldn't be sold but i wouldn't go alerting the village elders..... i'd be more concerned with the vast amount of easily obtainable guns on irelands streets[/quo
    I agree Limericklad, sometimes peoples priorities get lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

But what is the reason for selling a crossbow?

you really are narrow minded ron.. crossbow's are used in sport in every country in the world.. why would gangsters bother with crossbows when the are on a shelf behind their ak's and mini uzi's.. if these people wanna hurt you they would take off their shoe and beat you to death with it..

WAKE UP......... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭WuuZii

But what is the reason for selling a crossbow?
    Sport?
    Nothing positive about these places and they attract a seedy scummy element.
    What like these people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

there are over 200,000 licensed guns in ireland , and probably a few thousand more illegal ones. i m sure a lot of the scum could get their hands on one within 15 mins if they wanted to. id say if you, or i were to put our mind to it you would be able to get your hands on one with in a week easily enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

You think that's bad? I was in Dunnes the last day and they were selling pillows.... all the scumbags would have to do is wait til their nemesis is asleep and then smother him. I was so shocked I went to find the manager to give out. As I was going through the store, still somewhat in a daze, I saw an entire aisle dedicated to the sale of water!! FFS, don't Dunnes know about how many people drown every year?

Hell in a handbasket, that's what's going on.

lol i think this answer deserves an award :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Bows/Compound bows are perfectly Legal to sell.
    (They can only be used for Archery, to Hunt with one is not legal)

Airsoft guns under 1j of energy that fire the plasticl 6mm BB's are legal too
    (illegal are the ones that fire the 4mm Metal pellets)
    the sport is one of the fasted growing sports in the world.
    Unfortunately shops like you mentioned currently are allowed to sell them.

There are new laws coming into place regarding airsoft and
    regulating which shops can sell them. So this will eliminate
    all the type shops like the OP described from selling them.
    (Criminal Justice Bill (Misc) 2009)

Cross Bow's however you need a firearms licence for.
    In order to legally purchase a Cross Bow, you need
    to go through the same procedures as you would for
    buying a Shotgun or Rifle.

The Shop in foxs bow was illegally selling Cross Bow pistols
    around Christmas time, I was going to complain about the place at the
    time but they only had the one and it disappeared the next morning.
    The X-Bow in question was a cheap Replica of a real Cross Bow no-where near
    the power of the real thing. Bit it did have brass tipped bolts which would have been
    potentially dangerous. I do know that shop has had the Gardai into them in the past,
    It could have something to do with the type of stuff they carry.

The airsoft gear they have are all real cheap springers, and they have switched
    from selling full sized ones to smaller than the real thing, and brightly painted
    ones mostly.

Up to now Airsoft guns have been perfectly legal to sell as long as their power is under 1j
    of energy. Tests have proven that a plastic BB fired from a device at (even 2j) 1j
    of energy does not have enough power to penetrate the skin. I think there was a mention
    of the most vulnerable part being your eye.

As an Airsoft Collector shops like this are trouble for us.

With Real Firearms there are a hell of a lot of restrictions and the amount of Pain and torture
    and regulations you need to go through to become a target shooter are
    scary. The Average drug dealing scumbag gets an Illegal gun in with there drug supply.

With Airsoft there are very strict guidelines where you cannot brandish one in Public,
    You cant use them on public land or in view of the public where by someone may
    feel threatened, All sorts of precautions are taken in Airsoft venues where the guns
    are tested to make sure they are at the correct power, Face/Eye protection is worn.

People into Airsoft HATE to see these type of shops sell airsoft products because:
    typically they owners of these shops sell indiscriminatingly to anyone scumbags, kids under 18 etc anyone.
    Kids then go running around the place acting the ejjit , The also may sell over the 1j guns.

~B

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement