Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lethal Crossbow for sale in city shop.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I personally have two airsoft weapons and used them for that "SPORT" specifically.

He is not selling them for sport and this thread seems to believe that although there is a legal right to sell them using "sport" as a use should be respected.

He is marketing his store to a specific demographic and it is wrong for him to sell these products.

I know the owner of that store. I know him to a certain extent and I doubt he cares for the views of this forum and whether he will make a good councillor is another topic completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Bullets & Berty I agree with what you are saying and thanks for posting sensible thoughts on the matter.

I don't have a problem with responsible airsoft hobbyists nor do I have a problem with people using crossbows for sport (on another point where can you do that in Limerick out of interest?)

I do however have a problem with irresponsible stores targeting impressionable kids and a certain type of undesirable section of the public with products that can be used to intimidate or worse.

No kids should be allowed in stores that sell these products, especially airsoft and replica weapons.

I wouldn't be pissed off only for the fact that I have seen kids in my area shooting these guns at other kids, pets and people walking the street. The guards took them off them at one point but their idiot parents got them new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭WuuZii

Then dont blame the shops blame the idiot parents.

As for Archery, UL have a club, it should be open to anyone but maybe not

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Yep I totally agree with Both Berty and RonMexico.
    (They'd crucify you over on the airsoft board if they caught you calling
    and airsoft device a weapon Berty :-P )

I've been in the store a few times out of curiosity,
    All I heard was the bloke behind the counter talking about all the
    different forms of highs with whatever rubbish they sell.

Have talked to the bloke in the shop about the gun like objects he sells,
    before, and he put up over 18's signs but I am still of the opinion
    they WILL sell to anyone.

The Crossbow I reckon is the straw that broke the camels back totally
    illegal.

having Kids wander in there oogleing at all the stuff and exposing them to
    guns, bongs, swords, fluffy pink steering wheel covers and Elvis Mirrors
    just is not right. Cant blame the parents as a lot of the time these kids
    wander in to the shop on their own while in town with friends.

BTW while were on the subject of City Shops and shops that sell crap like this
    (Are they called "Head shops") anyone know why that Mmmad shop was
    closed down in Limerick? did people object to it?

With regards to Archery, yep my brother does it out in UL.
    Bow only though,
    (There are extremely few Cross Bows that are Licensed in the entire country I think
    I think the figure may even be under ten for the whole country)

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

i think its def up to the shopkeeper to not allow under 18's into the shop.. but to remove the option for a law abiding citizen to purchase any of the above mentioned is totally draconion.. freedom of choice people remember that??

• Advertisement

bullets wrote: »

BTW while were on the subject of City Shops and shops that sell crap like this
    (Are they called "Head shops") anyone know why that Mmmad shop was
    closed down in Limerick? did people object to it?

I presume people probably objected to it.

It was owned by a group from Cork whom own a Mmmmad Shop on North Main Street.

They were staying in Jurys Inn whilst building it. I was working there at the time and spoke to them a lot about it. I called into them a few times in the shop and they said that Limerick was not ready for a shop selling that kind of product so just gave up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Folks, as Bullets said a crossbow requires a rifle licence and as a consequence I can well imagine you need a firearms dealer licence if you want to sell them. If you want to have one you'll have to convince your local Superintendent that you have a legitimate need for one and as they're illegal for hunting the only need can be target shooting. As for handbows : not a firearm.

Someone in here expressed their satisfaction with handguns being made "illegal". Sorry to shatter the illusion but that whole rigmarole smells a lot like the minister playing to the gallery. What the minister is doing is trying to introduce legislation putting a stop to licencing handguns which is completely different from tackling the proliferation of illegaly held handguns. May I draw your attention to the fact that since the UK has stopped licencing handguns for sports shooters ( pistol target shooting in controlled and perfectly above board circumstances on controlled and safe ranges ) only law abiding people have handed in their pistols and revolvers or relocated them to ranges on the continent. Criminals in the meantime have been responsible for an increase of around 800% in the rate of crimes involving handguns. Sparkling success if you ask me.

What minister Ahern is doing is probably done with the best intentions but the only result is that law abiding people ( remember, licencences are and were issued on the judgement and responsibility of the local Superintendent of An Garda Siochana for all privately held firearms) are going to be deprived of their sports equipment and prefered passtime.

In the meantime the scum shooting people with handguns that were illegal ( unlicenced and kept with malicious intent ) anyway are just going to carry on as they were. Their weapons, be it handgun, shotgun, or rocketlauncher were illegal anyway. Strongly enforcing the law as it was would have been sufficient without inconveniencing law abiding sports shooters.

And as for the myth of handguns being stolen from their legitimate owners by gangsters for criminal use : a myth is all it is. Since 2004 ( don't quote me on the year I could be slightly off the mark ) when the licencing restrictions on handguns were relaxed the amount of stolen handguns used in further crime ( remember the possesion of an unlicenced handgun is crime as such ) can probably be counted on the fingers of one hand. Think for a moment folks, there's a lot more people killed with cuttlery since 2004 than with stolen handguns. Are we going to ban knives and forks tomorrow ? You don't really need them either, you can always eat with your hands and teeth.

Signing of as the proud and law abiding owner of three shotguns and a rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

You'll probably find that putting these items in the window with a price on em doesn't actually mean that they are legally for sale... tis an invitaiton to treat...

Law needs to be addressed...

loctite wrote: »
    You'll probably find that putting these items in the window with a price on em doesn't actually mean that they are legally for sale... tis an invitaiton to treat...

Law needs to be addressed...

Patience my dear friend. Time itself will heal this shop and your worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Moved to Shooting forum as there are more knowledgeable people on the applicable legislation there..

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

[MOD BIT]
    And on that note, can I ask people who normally don't post here to read the Shooting Forum Charter before replying? Thanks.

Also, for the "locals", many of the above posts were made by people in another forum so please take it easy on them. Any fighting or name calling will be harshly dealt with.
    [/MOD BIT]

I don't know where the shop is but unless the person selling that crossbow has a firearm certificate for it or is a registered firearms dealer he's breaking the law. If he's selling it "by way of business" he'd need to be a registered firearms dealer. Crossbows can't be sold "over the counter" as they are legally a firearm in Ireland.

Regular bows are not regulated at all, so they can be sold by anyone, to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

It amazes me ,that on head shops that are selling [1] drug prapheniala under the scantily clad notice of "to be used with tabacco only" [2] seeds for growing a Class A drug [3]are selling books on how to grow your own pot [4]the equipment and growing mixtures [5] are letting in underage children into the premises.Are not raided on a weekly basis and shut down permantly,along with their druggie owners being banged up for intent to supply,or aiding and abetting in supplying drug manufacturing media.Is beyond me.
    You would think they would at least say like the sex shops,either be 18 or be gone!But then again I guess a lot of Grass smoking doesnt help clarity of thought in busisness:rolleyes:

Were this happening in a Gun shop and the owner was selling "firearm kits"
    IOW say a UZI SMG,but missing a vital component part to make it an active gun, but was also selling a book titled;"How to make your UZI kit into a real working SMG",and selling a bit of metal,that only needs three holes drilled in it with your average drill. But this is only for "display purposes".You could be sure the ERU,Gardai,Army and media would be down there to raid,ransack and report on this henious chacter who was breaking the law....And proper order too.
    Wonder whats the difference....???Might as well not persucute anyone selling illegal firearms either,after all sauce for the goose...
    Bullets,
    MMMadd closed down because [1] it was crap mostly [2] the rent was daft and [3] a stupid place to put a head shop in the main thoroughfare of a town in holy catholic Ireland.

You are also right on the X bows...Why go thru all the hassle for an "expensive "toy" in the rest of the world,when you can get somting 100% more effective that goes BANG and costs a lot less,and you can hunt and target shoot with??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Because it's about a shop selling a firearm, not about "head shops".

IOW an illegal act,in a shop that is selling illegal products under the misuse of drugs act,is now or was recently selling firearms..Lovely!:mad:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

It's only an illegal act if the seller is not an RFD. That has not been established yet. I can't speak for the legality of the other products.

Has anyone who actually knows where this shop is notified the Gardai?

Seeing that the thread is Limerick based.
    We only have three Head shops here.One in William St,Foxs's Bow,and Ellen St. Two of those would be the most likely canditates.We only have one RFD in Limerick City,and he is more into fishing tackle than selling firearms.Does just about ammo.Wouldnt be selling Xbows,now or in the past.
    And seeing that it only is news to us all now that one of them was selling a Xbow...somtime around Christmas.I suppose it is still worth calling them,but is there anything that can now be done??:(

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Seeing that the thread is Limerick based.
    We only have three Head shops here.One in William St,Foxs's Bow,and Ellen St. Two of those would be the most likely canditates.We only have one RFD in Limerick City,and he is more into fishing tackle than selling firearms.Does just about ammo.Wouldnt be selling Xbows,now or in the past.

Grand so. I don't know Limerick at all. It's been a while since I've been west of the Shannon.
    Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    And seeing that it only is news to us all now that one of them was selling a Xbow...somtime around Christmas.I suppose it is still worth calling them,but is there anything that can now be done??:(

Depends on whether or not the crossbow is still there and/or if someone who saw it is willing to make the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

lads why is thread being kept going in the shooting forum:confused:?

I know they are classed as a firearm but other than that I don't see why it should be in here, shooting is getting enough bad press at the moment.

Could the thread not be moved to archery?

I'll ask the archery mods if they want it.

Locked until I get an answer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement