Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭derby7

Abortion : no way.
    I've seen couples after the loss of a baby or child ! Not nice.
    I have 2 kids, I couldn't imagine killing them, at any stage in their lifecycle !
    Its a quick & dirty solution for modern society, sickening !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

derby7 wrote: »
    Abortion : no way.
    I've seen couples after the loss of a baby or child ! Not nice.
    I have 2 kids, I couldn't imagine killing them, at any stage in their lifecycle !
    Its a quick & dirty solution for modern society, sickening !

In some ye olde civilisations a newborn baby would be examined at birth and discarded if any obvious physical flaws or abnormalities were discovered.

I guess, what i am trying to say is, if you are going to make a point then try and make it accurately?

Harsh Dragan.
    In some ye olde civilisations
    ....I'm not a historian, I'm not Jimmy McGee !! Am I to know everything in history before I post !! eeeek.
    a newborn baby would be examined at birth and discarded
    ....this is not abortion, is it ! ie. they were disgarded at birth !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Dragan wrote: »
    In some ye olde civilisations a newborn baby would be examined at birth and discarded if any obvious physical flaws or abnormalities were discovered.

Or if times were bad. Or if they were the 'wrong' gender.
    derby7 wrote:
    ....this is not abortion, is it ! ie. they were disgarded at birth !

The purpose is the exact same. Of course if you think abandoning a child to die of starvation or exposure is less brutal than termination at 6 weeks, please argue your case....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Nodin wrote: »
    Or if times were bad. Or if they were the 'wrong' gender.

Hey, you can get gender selective abortions in Sweden. If you're generally okay with people choosing freely on abortions you should be okay with gender selective abortion right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

Speaking as a parent,I find abortion disgusting,no matter the circumstance,every child is special and deserves a shot at life,there are dozens of couples out there unable to have children who would be more then willing to adopt unwanted children and give them a loving home,Im glad its still outlawed here

Jakkass wrote: »
    Hey, you can get gender selective abortions in Sweden. If you're generally okay with people choosing freely on abortions you should be okay with gender selective abortion right?

I was merely expanding on the refutation of the idea that "Its a quick & dirty solution for modern society ".

In its modern manifestation it is quick and dirty.

In its modern manifestation it is quick and dirty.

So you're a death by starvation & exposure man then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

Risk acceptance............

• Advertisement

So you're a death by starvation & exposure man then.

You mightn't have noticed. I'm not an anything man. I don't believe it is anyones right to decide whether a child should live or die, both inside the womb and outside.

Free will is our greatest gift, killing (other humans, in this case) (& for no reason other than greed) is the greatest abuse of this gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

The purpose is the exact same. Of course if you think abandoning a child to die of starvation or exposure is less brutal than termination at 6 weeks, please argue your case....

My word thats some straw man! I can tell you one 'huge' difference in the scenario's you posted. One is cruel and honest. One is cruel and dishonest. One knows that they are killing a child, and for whatever strange reasons accept that this is what they are doing. The other pretends that they are not killing a child, but rather, 'its not really a child, its a parasite or whatever'. Both are horrid of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Free will is our greatest gift, killing (other humans, in this case) (& for no reason other than greed) is the greatest abuse of this gift.

Greed? And gift from who??? What are you talking about?

You mightn't have noticed. I'm not an anything man. I don't believe it is anyones right to decide whether a child should live or die, both inside the womb and outside.

Thats just wonderful. However you might be better to spend more time promulgating that view than trying to score points off me for pointing out certain historical realities.

Are you badgering me now Malari ?, and if you don't know what I am talking about, then don't let it concern you.

edit:
    I'm disturbed by the fact that the majority of the current pollers have voted that they would kill a child/lifeform because it would inconvenience them. If I killed you (or whoever), because you inconvenience me, would you (ye) agree with that ??? I don't see the difference between the people who kill in Limerick/Dublin (etc) to the people who get rid of their inconvenience in the UK !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

Is it? What if she lies?

That's tough. Should have been a better judge.

But....just as men have to compensate women for rearing a child they wanted nothing whatsoever to do with, so too should women have to compensate men for destroying the potential child that they wanted.

That's equality before the law IMO.

Or perhaps they should just change the law so that men don't have to pay maintenance for a child they didn't want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

O'Coonassa wrote: »
    That's tough. Should have been a better judge.

But....just as men have to compensate women for rearing a child they wanted nothing whatsoever to do with, so too should women have to compensate men for destroying the potential child that they wanted.

That's equality before the law IMO.

Or perhaps they should just change the law so that men don't have to pay maintenance for a child they didn't want.

Thats just stupid comment.Like half of Irish guys pay maintenance without animosity as is.Where would you take the future.Maybe if there was hardened laws and men knew it for taking part in the act of having a child they might think twice about swinging it around so much in first place aswell.

Are you badgering me now Malari ?, and if you don't know what I am talking about, then don't let it concern you.

edit:
    I'm disturbed by the fact that the majority of the current pollers have voted that they would kill a child/lifeform because it would inconvenience them. If I killed you (or whoever), because you inconvenience me, would you (ye) agree with that ??? I don't see the difference between the people who kill in Limerick/Dublin (etc) to the people who get rid of their inconvenience in the UK !!

Badgering? I'm just asking you to explain your post. What, you think you can post anything and not be questioned?

shqipshume wrote: »
    Thats just stupid comment.Like half of Irish guys pay maintenance without animosity as is.Where would you take the future.Maybe if there was hardened laws and men knew it for taking part in the act of having a child they might think twice about swinging it around so much in first place aswell.

Why is it so much more acceptable to say this concerning men than saying it about women? Surely if they didn't want a child they could just abstain either.

derby7: 38% is actually about the highest support pro-life has had on boards.ie. Still a sizeable percentage mind.

• Advertisement

Why is it so much more acceptable to say this concerning men than saying it about women? Surely if they didn't want a child they could just abstain either.

derby7: 38% is actually about the highest support pro-life has had on boards.ie. Still a sizeable percentage mind.

And the answer is its the woman's fault because they took part?
    The comments is ridiculous and both parties are at fault.
    Then the argument could be for all guys oh i didnt want the baby!

To me if a man at the outset says he wanted a child then he should help to rear it. If he said he didn't then why should he? If we have a womans right to choose then so to we must have a mans right to choose.

O'Coonassa wrote: »
    To me if a man at the outset says he wanted a child then he should help to rear it. If he said he didn't then why should he? If we have a womans right to choose then so to we must have a mans right to choose.

He should make sure he is covered up if he doesn't want kids.If not responsible enough on either side of the equation then they should not be having sex with random people and then passing the buck when they dont want to be apart of it.

shqipshume: Women should know full well that if you have sex you risk becoming pregnant as should men. I would have thought that was rather clear. If one does not want to become pregnant the only 100% foolproof way is to abstain and say no.

shqipshume: Women should know full well that if you have sex you risk becoming pregnant as should men. I would have thought that was rather clear. If one does not want to become pregnant the only 100% foolproof way is to abstain and say no.

And men who don't want to get caught in that predicament also say no ;) or else take responsibility for their actions also in the situation,but dont whinge about it when they get stuck paying some measly amount of money to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

A Woman should also have the right to a hysterectomy whenever she so chooses, but guess what? They restrict us on that too. :rolleyes:

/off topic.....
    Badgering?
    We would be going off-topic with the OP's Q if we continued with your questioning.
    What, you think you can post anything and not be questioned?
    yes............well no obviously, doh!
    I'm just asking you to explain your post.
    Free will, ie. you can do what you want. This gift was given to you by God, or our Creator, or whoever. You can kill, or you can be civil & help one another. Now all that might sound very religiousy, but those are (some of) the choices, so.....do you now understand what free will is.

/back on topic......

He should make sure he is covered up if he doesn't want kids.

Well condoms can break. As I said in my earlier post if he doesn't want an abortion then he shouldn't put it inside that kind of woman. Women who want children or who would never abort them shouldn't go with the kind of men who don't want them or would want them aborted
    If not responsible enough on either side of the equation then they should not be having sex with random people and then passing the buck when they dont want to be apart of it.

Well I'd agree with you on the whole but some people are liars and others are bad judges of character. A man can say he wants children and disagrees with abortion and then when pregnancy happens he can be revealed as a liar. So too a woman can say she wants a child and a children and disagrees with abortion but then when she gets pregnant can also be revealed as a liar. The liars should both compensate their victims or neither of them should. A law that only compensates one of them is unfair.

/off topic.....

We would be going off-topic with the OP's Q if we continued with your questioning.

yes............well no obviously, doh!

Free will, ie. you can do what you want. This gift was given to you by God, or our Creator, or whoever. You can kill, or you can be civil & help one another. Now all that might sound very religiousy, but those are (some of) the choices, so.....do you now understand what free will is.

/back on topic......

Wow, you didn't explain greed. And a god has never given me any gift. But you're right, you are off-topic. Forget it.

• Advertisement

Malari wrote: »
    Wow, you didn't explain greed. And a god has never given me any gift. But you're right, you are off-topic. Forget it.

I would have thought if you suppress anothers rights for ones own personal benefit it could be perceived as greed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement