Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

K-9 wrote: »
    I think he means if people have sex, a pregnancy may result?

Exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Oh please I never said you had to be a Peter but you go out of your way to find such thread to post in or to nudge the topic so you can post you message in.

I don't think you should be site banned, I do think you should have a think about what you are doing and how it can be off putting to people.

That's nice, my own spiritual revelations completely changed me and my life,
    my beliefs and how I live my life in accordance with them fill me up with joy,
    but I respect the rights of others and don't go looking to push, promote or proselyte my beliefs. I and my Gods are not so arrogant to believe they are the one true way for everyone.

You have disrupted threads and kept bringing them back to the christain point of view and agenda again and again and again post bombing them until
    all other discussion gets drown out, it's what cult members are trained to do.

There are ways to do that with out being so in people's faces, it could be that you are still young and so still full of zeal but I hope your god sees fit that you gain some wisdom and maturity soon.

I have a lot of time for passion, passionate people and what interests and drives people but there has to be more to you then just this?
    Jakkass, I'll allow a retort.
    It's only fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes just put jackkas on ignore, you have to from time to time other wise you'd go nuts with how he roams form forum to forum searching out threads to push his christian view point, and agenda which to me is proselyting.

I couldn't do that to my Jakkass, what would he do without me to tell him he's wrong the whole time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I think he means if people have sex, a pregnancy may result?
    Splendour wrote: »
    Exactly!

What does that have to do with abortion? I'm not trying to be smart, but I don't understand the connection. Sex may result in pregnency, ok, fairly straight forward, it's a biological fact, but how does that relate to abortion?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

orestes wrote: »
    What does that have to do with abortion? I'm not trying to be smart, but I don't understand the connection. Sex may result in pregnency, ok, fairly straight forward, but how does that relate to abortion?

I suppose my way of looking at it, more from a male viewpoint admittedly, is sex is really the last time a man has a choice in the matter. He can wear a condom and he maybe knows she is on the pill or whatever method she chooses. With a one night stand he can really only take responsibility for his side, they are riskier in that regard.

If a pregnancy occurs we may have a say but the final decision is down to the female. If she does not agree with abortion and lets face it, in a one night stand eg. it usually isn't debated prior to sex, there isn't much a male can do.

So going back to his point, when we have sex with somebody there is a risk of pregnancy. That carries the risk of her getting pregnant, conceiving a baby against your wishes or indeed, having an abortion against your wishes. It really is the time where males should have thought about this BEFORE the act, not AFTER!

Is that unfair on males? Some yes, Some No, depends on your moral viewpoint.
    Is it unfair on females? Some yes, some No, depends on your moral viewpoint.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

In summary, look at this thread, the usual abortion thread because well, people disagree to various degrees on abortion. Some can't countenance it in ANY circumstances, some will agree Rape should be excluded, others will add suicide, others will add first 8 weeks etc. etc.

I'm rabbitting on.

SEX IS SRS BUSINESS!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I suppose my way of looking at it, more from a male viewpoint admittedly, is sex is really the last time a man has a choice in the matter. He can wear a condom and he maybe knows she is on the pill or whatever method she chooses. With a one night stand he can really only take responsibility for his side, they are riskier in that regard.

If a pregnancy occurs we may have a say but the final decision is down to the female. If she does not agree with abortion and lets face it, in a one night stand eg. it usually isn't debated prior to sex, there isn't much a male can do.

So going back to his point, when we have sex with somebody there is a risk of pregnancy. That carries the risk of her getting pregnant, conceiving a baby against your wishes or indeed, having an abortion against your wishes. It really is the time where males should have thought about this BEFORE the act, not AFTER!

Is that unfair on males? Some yes, Some No, depends on your moral viewpoint.
    Is it unfair on females? Some yes, some No, depends on your moral viewpoint.

Erm, you do realise I'm male, right?

And I understand that, but I don't understand the connection between being old enough to have sex and abortion. Sorry, it's a connection I just can't make

Erm, you do realise I'm male, right?

And I understand that, but I don't understand the connection between being old enough to have sex and abortion. Sorry, it's a connection I just can't make

That's why I included it can be unfair on women too. If a woman strongly disagrees with abortion and a man wants her to have one, that is equally unfair on the woman as the man. Reverse the opinions and it's still equally unfair.

Old enough? True, see your point there. Manys the young lad/girl who'd put a supposed elder to shame in that regard.

Still, really sex is the final point where both males/females have a say in what happens in a pregnancy. It really is a an example of where IMO, is very much your opinion in real life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

kill an innocent unborn child - never unless it would be a constand remainder of abuse for example

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I couldn't do that to my Jakkass, what would he do without me to tell him he's wrong the whole time :D
    As much as I agree with your stance on many things, I cannot stand when someone gloats over the ban of another user.

As a result of this, I have decided to lift the thread ban on Jakkass on the condition he does not go overboards on the bible quotes.

Reasoned debate in AH?
    It's possible.

Bible thumping?
    That'll get you a ban.

Pushing an athiest agenda?
    That'll get you a ban.

Worshipping at the church of Terry?
    I need about €3.50..

• Advertisement

That's why I included it can be unfair on women too. If a woman strongly disagrees with abortion and a man wants her to have one, that is equally unfair on the woman as the man. Reverse the opinions and it's still equally unfair.

Old enough? True, see your point there. Manys the young lad/girl who'd put a supposed elder to shame in that regard.

Still, really sex is the final point where both males/females have a say in what happens in a pregnancy. It really is a an example of where IMO, is very much your opinion in real life!

Ah right, I think we have had a bit of a case of crossed wires here. This is the post that originally confused me:
    Just tripped across this thread and admit to not having fully read it all post by post so forgive me if I'm repeating anything that has been said.
    My take on this is: if you're old enough to handle sex then you're old enough to have a child. If you aren't old enough to have a child then you aren't old enough to have sex.

It was the connection between being old enough to have sex and abortion that I was confused by. Methinks we have been having two different discussions here man :)

Ah right, I think we have had a bit of a case of crossed wires here. This is the post that originally confused me:

It was the connection between being old enough to have sex and abortion that I was confused by. Methinks we have been having two different discussions here man :)

:o

Indeed, I didn't take his "old enough" point literally, more "man enough" or indeed "woman enough"! :eek:

levictus 12:4

''and dan le sac said ''thou shalt always kill''

:o

Indeed, I didn't take his "old enough" point literally, more "man enough" or indeed "woman enough"! :eek:

Simple misunderstanding so, glad that's cleared up :)

Erm, are we supposed to hug or something now?

Simple misunderstanding so, glad that's cleared up :)

Erm, are we supposed to hug or something now?

Well are we man woman enough?

Well are we man woman enough?

Handshake and one of those manly one-slap-on-the-back type hugs perhaps?

Handshake and one of those manly one-slap-on-the-back type hugs perhaps?

At a nervous distance?

Jaysus, this is harder than agreeing on an abortion thread.

Harder! (Cue AH puns!)

At a nervous distance?

Jaysus, this is harder than agreeing on an abortion thread.

Harder! (Cue AH puns!)

/reaches out hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

/Waits for the boys to bring the Yaoi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaoi

oooh

yaoi-za yaoi-za puntastic:D

• Advertisement

Females and their stereotypes! Tut, tut!

oops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Females and their stereotypes! Tut, tut!

What?
    You trying to tell me if it was two female posters going for a hug and grope in here that the place would be fully of appreciative and encouraging comments?
    ok maybe not if it was dudess and pfb

What?
    You trying to tell me if it was two female posters going for a hug and grope in here that the place would be fully of appreciative and encouraging comments?
    ok maybe not if it was dudess and pfb

I like your twisted logic!

I had this discussion recently with some friends,
    basically I said at this moment of my life myself and my GF couldn't handle a child, so if bad luck struck we would decide to take the trip the england for an abortion. I don't see the problem but my friends did.

What are peoples opinions?

The original poster asked the above question. I thought my previous post was self explanatory, but obviously it wasn't but I'll try again.
    My take on abortion is if the poster and his GF couldn't handle a child then in my opinion they are no old enough/man/woman enough to have sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Terry wrote: »
    As much as I agree with your stance on many things, I cannot stand when someone gloats over the ban of another user.

As a result of this, I have decided to lift the thread ban on Jakkass on the condition he does not go overboards on the bible quotes.

Reasoned debate in AH?
    It's possible.

Bible thumping?
    That'll get you a ban.

Pushing an athiest agenda?
    That'll get you a ban.

Worshipping at the church of Terry?
    I need about 3.50..

Ah I wasn't gloating, I was only having a laugh. We've been pming each other since he was banned

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

The original poster asked the above question. I thought my previous post was self explanatory, but obviously it wasn't but I'll try again.
    My take on abortion is if the poster and his GF couldn't handle a child then in my opinion they are no old enough/man/woman enough to have sex.

Now that you've cleared that up, I have to disagree. :p As long as they could handle the pregnancy, ie; they made a decision together what to do if it happened, then they were ready to have sex.

So you think anybody who has sex should be financially secure enough and mentally ready to take care of a baby?

So you think anybody who has sex should be financially secure enough and mentally ready to take care of a baby?

In a word-yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

In a word-yes.

so poor people can't have sex?

oh dear god.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement