Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Terry wrote: »
    So tell me, what gives you the right to comment on how a woman should deal with an unwanted pregnancy?

1) Well, this is a thread on a discussion board, and others are also discussing the issue. I assume by extension as a poster on this board I should have a right to discuss it :)

2) So tell me, what gives you the right to say what should happen with another persons life particularly in a life or death situation?
    Who are you (or any pro-life or SPUCkers) to tell someone how to live their lives or what to do if they become pregnant?

Who are you (or any pro-choicer) to tell someone that they should live or die?
    How does an abortion have an affect on you?

It may not have an effect on me but I understand that the unborn have a right to live and that this is worthy of defence.
    Does it have any affect on your life in any way at all?

No, but the cause is worth defending so that other people may have the right to live. This argument is purely fallacious as if blacks or Jews were being persecuted it doesn't affect me, yet I can still understand that that is wrong, just as much as abortion is.
    If so, then how?
    If not, then why the **** do you care?

I care because I believe that all people are worthy of dignity and rights. This includes the unborn.
    It's not like you are performing the abortions yourself. You made the choice not to abort foetii (Is that the plural?).

I'm quite aware of that.
    Who are you to pass judgement on those who chose to abort a foetus?

Who are you to suggest what should happen with someone elses life to the point of death?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Yeah, that's great.

So tell me, what gives you the right to comment on how a woman should deal with an unwanted pregnancy?

Who are you (or any pro-life or SPUCkers) to tell someone how to live their lives or what to do if they become pregnant?

If so, then how?
    If how, then please give me a deatailed explanation, because I'd love to hear how someone having an abortion changes your life.

It's not like you are performing the abortions yourself. You made the choice not to abort foetii (Is that the plural?).

Your argument is only valid if you accept the position that an abortion does no harm to the mother. Would you stand idly by while someone committed an act of self harm? Would you condemn those who tried to stop that person?

Firstly, you're advocating adoption as a flawless, win-win scenario, when that's not quite the case. The biological mother is faced with a certain degree of social stigma for giving up her own child, as well as the personal feelings and psychological repercussions that such a decision can have on a person. Also, the effects on a woman's body of carrying a baby to term have to considered.

No I didn't say that. I said it was a reasonable via media that could be reached between the rights of the mother and the rights of the child. Bear in mind that many women do have severe guilt after abortions in many cases. These are the women I feel really sorry for, they know they have done wrong and have to bear this. Also bear in mind that there can be negative effects from having an abortion too. Actually both of your arguments concerning the mother in birth are applicable to abortion.
    Secondly, as regards the child, I can't imagine how it would feel being brought into a world knowing it was out of necessity and not love, and that your natural mother never wanted to have you.

This is assuming that the child is definitely not going to be adopted and not going to have the same opportunity of love as the rest. I would assume that life even in flawed circumstances is better than death.
    That hardly sounds like a great compromise to me.

It's better than death.
    It's a bit of a stretch to say it's "blatently [sic] violating human rights" too; whether the foetus can be considered a 'life' in the same way a person is considered alive is a matter of personal and philosophical opinion, as opposed to other rights which are clearly defined in laws.

In biological terms the foetus can be described as a human life. This is what I am primarily concerned with. I can't help but think that attributes x, y, z and so on don't really have all that much relevance but serve to detract from the argument at hand.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

AFAIR babies can experience pain, fear etc in the womb, so it's not really correct to depict them just sitting their.
    Why do you think they kick?

Can they? I doubt babies can feel fear in the womb. Isn't kicking just a reflex reaction?
    Jakkass wrote: »

I don't think many of my opinions are very liberal :p
    For something to be considered alive, it seems pretty straightforward biologically, but you want to add some philosophical means of assessing life as well as the traditional biological one that is used? This is the very thing that is obscuring the discussion though, don't you think?

No, I don't think it's obscuring the discussion, I think it's an important part of the discussion. I don't think you can discuss abortion without talking about the value of the foetus in the womb. That's what I'm talking about - I don't think that the foetus in the womb has any value because it isn't 'living'.

Well, biologically is the primary means by which we assess defacto life. Anything else is just attaching feelings, emotions and philosophical opinions to the debate. I personally could add in all the JJudeo-Christian principles I believe in to the discussion but it can also be explained by coming at a secular angle with it. I have chosen to do this for this discussion.

You can't seperate this debate from feelings, emotions and philisophical opinions. A biological definition of life itself is meaningless. Biology just says what is and what isn't. Biology says that a Zygote is a zygote, and if left to grow it will turn into a human being. Humans determine the worth that zygote has and say that it's wrong to kill it. You're putting feelings into your argument when you say that a foetus shouldn't be killed, a judgement which I think is probably a part of your Judeo-Christian principles.
    Consciousness is something that is to do with development. A human life at this stage in the process is expected to be without conscience because it is something through the biological growth process of life that it will gain. Just because consciousness hasn't been developed yet doesn't mean that it is not human life it just means that you are adding personal factors onto what you consider to be a life further than the biological definition would usually go. Just because someone considers factors x, y and z to be factors that must be a part of human life doesn't mean that is the way in all actuality. When we look at it your argument is coming down to:

"The mother is more developed than the child, as such I think that her rights automatically supersede the rights of the child."

Yeah, that's an accurate description of my argument. A foetus hasn't developed enough to be considered living, therefore it shouldn't be afforded the rights we afford to living people.
    People can claim to be more developed than others the whole way throughout life though, and people actually are more developed in life than others. Does this mean that the more developed should always restrict the rights of the lesser? Do you have any idea how chaotic that would be in reality?

No it doesn't. I'm not saying that a mother should abort the foetus, I'm saying that she should be allowed to if she wants to,because there is no societal harm in doing so.

You're misrepresenting my argument when you say this means i'm saying that the more developed should always restrict the rights of the lesser. No this doesn't mean that the more developed should always restrict the rights of the lesser. It means that, when it comes to mother and foetus, the mother should be able to restrict the rights of the foetus. I don't think there's any burden on me to show why it'd always be ok for those who are more developed to restrict the rights of the less developed.
    Biologically a foetus is different to a tumour. This is just obscuring the discussion further surely? We know that a sperm and an ova fuse together to form a zygote and from that point on that the biological process of life begins, this is really enough to assess what life is without having to bring in other factors. Many of my friends who are pro-choice, and many on this thread infact have already accepted that abortion is killing, it's pretty hard to see it any other way really if you consider life to be a process which forms biologically from the point of fusion until the point when the individual dies.

As for perceiving the world, this all comes back to development. If a child is allowed to develop it will perceive the world, just as it will learn the alphabet if it goes to school. More and more of these attributes being added in just detract from the relevance of the discussion. None of these things have any bearing on what human rights should be afforded to individuals.

I'd argue the biological definition is the best we can use without attaching all these different attributes onto it which have no bearing on the process of how the child actually develops from fusion until birth and from birth until adolescence, and from adolescence to adulthood to death.

A situation where X is in a coma is radically different to a situation where an unborn child which has every opportunity to live a fulfilled life is being denied their full right to do so. At least in situation X said individual has had somewhat of an opportunity. You aren't comparing like with like.

In the situation of the coma the consciousness has ceased to function on a permanent basis.

In the situation of the foetus the consciousness is developing to a stage whereby it will be fully operable.

Situation 1, no potential.
    Situation 2, abundance of potential.

I don't think potential matters. The Zygote/foetus could become a human, but it isn't. As Terry said, there are millions of potential people who don't exist for whatever reason. I don't think that a foetus should be afforded any rights just because its very close to to realising that potential.

andrew wrote: »
    No, I don't think it's obscuring the discussion, I think it's an important part of the discussion. I don't think you can discuss abortion without talking about the value of the foetus in the womb. That's what I'm talking about - I don't think that the foetus in the womb has any value because it isn't 'living'.

I don't understand why you don't take these values outside of the womb. Why can't we have legal freedom to define the value of a baby, a toddler, a teenager to determine if they are valuable enough to keep alive on the earth? If this standard cannot be held outside of the womb I see no reason why the situation should be of necessity any different inside it. It's this lack of affinity in reasoning that ends up weakening the pro-choice position. As for it "not living", that's nonsense as biologically it clearly is living.

You can't seperate this debate from feelings, emotions and philisophical opinions. A biological definition of life itself is meaningless. Biology just says what is and what isn't. Biology says that a Zygote is a zygote, and if left to grow it will turn into a human being. Humans determine the worth that zygote has and say that it's wrong to kill it. You're putting feelings into your argument when you say that a foetus shouldn't be killed, a judgement which I think is probably a part of your Judeo-Christian principles.

Of course you can. If a foetus is biologically a human life, therefore it should be given the same value as other human lives. It seems to be the only way to consistently rule on this without having different standards for within the womb than outside of. A zygote is a form of human life, just as an adult is a form of human life. They are a part of the same life cycle. The zygote forms into the foetus and the foetus grows into a child, the child develops into an adult through adolescence, and the adult grows old and dies.

I say a foetus shouldn't be killed for reasons which can be both argued on Judeo-Christian grounds and on entirely secular grounds. The entirely secular grounds are this. We are a common species. Humans are the only species that can relate to eachother. We should see a common level of respect for life amongst our own species. We should be aiming to do to others as we wouldn't want done to ourselves as we are in common humanity. I personally would not like to be killed, I can therefore assume that another human entity also would not like to be killed. I personally like to have the autonomy to give consent on matters that could affect my life, I should also assume that others should have the autonomy to give consent on matters that could affect their lives and particularly not to assume any answer upon them. I think this is entirely reasonable to anyone of any creed.
    Yeah, that's an accurate description of my argument. A foetus hasn't developed enough to be considered living, therefore it shouldn't be afforded the rights we afford to living people.

Yes, but this is just putting frivolous criteria onto what life is when we can already determine what life is biologically.
    No it doesn't. I'm not saying that a mother should abort the foetus, I'm saying that she should be allowed to if she wants to,because there is no societal harm in doing so.

A human life killed. That's societal harm to me anyway. It is violating the common nature of human ethics to respect one another as you would like to be respected yourself.
    You're misrepresenting my argument when you say this means i'm saying that the more developed should always restrict the rights of the lesser. No this doesn't mean that the more developed should always restrict the rights of the lesser. It means that, when it comes to mother and foetus, the mother should be able to restrict the rights of the foetus. I don't think there's any burden on me to show why it'd always be ok for those who are more developed to restrict the rights of the less developed.

It's effectively what you have argued in this post and in other posts. Yes the mother should always be able to restrict the rights of the lesser (the foetus) in this case. This is despite the fact that there are 2 sets of rights to be considered if we are to consider the foetus a separate human biological entity and a separate life.

If you are going to be discussing this on a forum, you surely should be open to questions though? (On the burden issue). You don't have to respond to me at all on my questions I will understand. I have found our discussion to be quite thought provoking so I will thank you for that :) However, I do believe that if we are going to advocate one standard concerning within the womb on development we should apply this to the greater outside norm if it is to be valid at all. Otherwise if it isn't it should be discarded.
    I don't think potential matters. The Zygote/foetus could become a human, but it isn't. As Terry said, there are millions of potential people who don't exist for whatever reason. I don't think that a foetus should be afforded any rights just because its very close to to realising that potential.

I'm merely clarifying that a foetus or a zygote is nothing like an individual in a coma. We know that foetuses and zygotes constitute human life. That's personally enough for me to determine anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Pointless thread as its a topic people cannot debate as they cannot exercise clear judgement as their vision is clouded by personal circumstances, eg a 19 yr old male/female in college would feel different 20 years later when married with kids they dote over. Only acceptable solution is to let each individual in the circumstance make up their own mind, you cant force somebody to harbour another life in their body or to become a parent against their will.

In fairness, what you just said there was that it's a pointless discussion and because no one can agree so the only solution is for the pro lifers to completely give up and concede to the pro choicers. Which is not really a solution at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭shreksaurus

Do people not realise that theres always a staircase handy somewhere?

Laughed so much at this. Women who are pregnant but dont want babies or an abortion can throw their pregnant selves down a staircase and problem solved.

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    The consequences of abortion to society - 0.

In terms of legality, that should be the only factor considered.

As for whether I agree with it, well yes, I do, I find no reason not to. However, one has to acknowledge the fact that should they themselves be faced with the decision, they would be likey to experience intense, irrational emotions, and due to this, it might be better for one's long term mental well being to go through with the pregnancy.

If you kill a homeless person or someone who lives alone in the woods the consequences for society would also be zero. Seems to me you think it should be the only factor considered because it's quite a convenient factor that fits with the outcome that you want

In my opinion, while a foetus is still inside the womb it isn't technically living, and so abortion is fine.

In saying someone is alive, I mean that their heart is beating, they posess bodily functions etc. So in that sense a foetus, or a person in a coma is 'alive.' However a foetus isn't 'living.' They have no conception of the outside world, aren't self aware, can't experience life in any way shape or form that is meaningful to their existance. They're basically just floating there, alive only in the strictly biological sense of the word. I think that, if someone is just 'alive' (whether it be a person in a coma or a foetus, though obviously we're talking about foetus' here) then their life is basically worthless, and has value not in of itself but only in relation to those related to it. So if those related to it (ie. the mother and father in this case) don't want it, then I don't see the problem in aborting it, (or, to continue the comparison, turning off the life support machine which feeds people in comas).

But what if you knew for a fact that the person in the coma was going to wake up in 9 months? Still ok to pull the plug?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

brummytom wrote: »
    Maybe so... though do you feel there is any problem in personal experience shaping one's opinions?

Yes ofcourse experience can and should shape opinions, but that doesn't mean you got can take the moral high ground, and impose your beliefs onto others. Seriously, if you don't like abortions, i strongly suggest you don't have one!!
    Should someone be able to control whether someone lives or dies?
    when it's a tiny clutch of cells, barely clinging to uterus wall, yes.
    So you believe in choice? If i choose to go and kill my younger brother because I can't bear growing up with him, that's grand is it?

I shouldn't even dignify this with comment, but i'm just not willing to let it slide.
    You're brother is a fully fledged, living person, a feotus of a few weeks isn't.

• Advertisement

Iang87 wrote: »
    eh abortion if you want it, no abortion if you dont want it.

Could it not be simple as that without ridiculous campaigns and high horses riding in trying to control everyone and make them think lik them
    eh rape if you want it, no rape if you dont want it.

See the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I have a bit of an issue with the phrase "pro choice" unless it refers to someone who would never have an abortion themselves (or at least is adamant they wouldn't) but would support others having the right to choose. If you would have an abortion yourself, you're pro abortion. "Pro choice" in the case of the latter just comes across as sugar-coating.

Yeah, that's great.

If so, then how?
    If how, then please give me a deatailed explanation,
    well to be fair, if a bloke decides to murder his wife that doesn't have any effect on me either but that doesn't mean I should give him the thumbs up

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yeah, that's great.

If so, then how?
    If how, then please give me a deatailed explanation, because I'd love to hear how someone having an abortion changes your life.

Unfortunately, we have a democracy.
    Yeah, that's great.

i'd be careful of that point as it means nobody has any say whatsoever over how a woman should deal with an unwanted pregnancy.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I shouldn't even dignify this with comment, but i'm just not willing to let it slide.
    You're brother is a fully fledged, living person, a feotus of a few weeks isn't.

This point is the only thing that's relevant in a discussion on abortion. Every single pro abortion argument only works if you accept that assumption and every single pro life argument works if you don't accept it. That is the only thing both sides don't agree on

My position on it would be that, while it might not meet with your personal definition of a "person", it most definitely is a living, growing human being. That is a fact. And they're called human rights, not "what Elliemental defines as a person-rights"

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    well to be fair, if a bloke decides to murder his wife that doesn't have any effect on me either but that doesn't mean I should give him the thumbs up
    But would you get bothered by an isolated incident like that the same way you get bothered by abortion? And do you think you're comparing like with like?

I'm in favour of very early abortion in limited circumstances, but I sometimes have a bit of an issue with the "it's the woman's body" argument: unless there's no dad around and if a foetus has formed... well then it's not just the woman's body.
    But I'm bearing in mind too that a woman who has a late termination is likely to be doing so due to extreme desperation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I know a woman who has had two abortions, she's going out with a friend of mine. She's a lovely person and I dont judge her for what she did.

When she first said it to me I had to wonder "Once bitten twice shy" but life is not simple and from speaking to her she's had some tough times in her life.

Some people are not ready to have kids and in my opinion abortion is an option. It is not the easy option as people claim. I think the process can be very lonely and I for one would be there for anyone who decided to take that route.

I know a woman who has had two abortions, she's going out with a friend of mine. She's a lovely person and I dont judge her for what she did.

When she first said it to me I had to wonder "Once bitten twice shy" but life is not simple and from speaking to her she's had some tough times in her life.

Some people are not ready to have kids and in my opinion abortion is an option. It is not the easy option as people claim. I think the process can be very lonely and I for one would be there for anyone who decided to take that route.

Completely agree it isn't the easier option. Do you think anything could have stopped her? Better services, societies attitudes, partners attitude etc.?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Arrows robbed from American Indians.

I don''t think I could ever have an abortion.

LOL magic

And also, considering it reasonable for a rape victim to carry her rapist's child to full term and then put the child up for adoption... is just... beyond me.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    But would you get bothered by an isolated incident like that the same way you get bothered by abortion? And do you think you're comparing like with like?
    Well I see murders on the news and they probably don't affect me as they should but then again I'm not protesting outside abortion clinics either. Neither of them motivates me to do much more than talk about them on the net. And in this context I do think I'm comparing like with like. Terry said his opinion doesn't matter because it doesn't affect him but if someone is murdered and I'm not involved, I'm still allowed say it's wrong. It's not as simple as he's making out
    But I'm bearing in mind too that a woman who has a late termination is likely to be doing so due to extreme desperation.

The thing about late terminations is that it's possible to find yourself in a situation where if you suck the baby out and throw it away it's abortion, but if you surgically remove it and put it in an incubator, then come back an hour later and smother it it's murder. Madness!

Dudess: Very much the minority incident in dealing with abortion. However, yes I do consider that the best option. It isn't the childs fault that the mother got raped.

I'm in favour of very early abortion in limited circumstances, but I sometimes have a bit of an issue with the "it's the woman's body" argument: unless there's no dad around and if a foetus has formed... well then it's not just the woman's body.

Even if the Dads about, does it really matter? If Dad says Abortion and Mum says No way, is it still the womans body?

I believe I speak for us all when i yell troll?:mad:

Would it not be a better idea to change our social infastructure and stop raising benefits in accordance with the amount of kids a couple has? ie. Child benefit for 1st/2nd child, then it stops, or adopt a completely free market stance and phase it out completely? Everyone is free to make their own choices, hell have 40 kids once you can provide for them financially and emotionally, but people have to accept its up to them to provide for their family rather than place the burden on the state, people would then have to accept consequences to their actions. In laymans terms you dont buy a 5L Mecedas V12 if you cant afford to run a 1.1L micra, then ask the state to run it for you?

i'd love to have a 1 night stand and get a merc for it

Dudess: Very much the minority incident in dealing with abortion. However, yes I do consider that the best option. It isn't the childs fault that the mother got raped.

Neither is it the mothers fault?

If a woman is raped and conceives, the likelihood is she will have a termination as quickly as possible, therefore there's no baby in the first place.

Expecting her to carry what a rapist implanted in her for nine months and then hand the baby over when her emotions and hormones are all over the place, and then go through the post-natal changes in her body... is just sadistic.

Expecting her to carry what a rapist implanted in her for nine months and then hand the baby over when her emotions and hormones are all over the place, and then go through the post-natal changes in her body... is just sadistic.

Actually accusing me of sadism is a bit extreme on your part. If I am to consider that there are two sets of rights here as usual, I can't accept that one set of rights should automatically supersede the other even in the case of rape. There are two victims involved in this. The unborn and the one who is raped.

K-9: The "it's my body" argument is highly flawed. There are infact two separate biological entities involved. The mothers and the child. It affects more than just the mothers body if one is to be aborted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

K-9 wrote: »
    Completely agree it isn't the easier option. Do you think anything could have stopped her? Better services, societies attitudes, partners attitude etc.?

I honestly dont know. I could speculate but I wont.

Actually accusing me of sadism is a bit extreme on your part.
    I do think doing this to a woman is nothing short of sadism.
    If I am to consider that there are two sets of rights here as usual, I can't accept that one set of rights should automatically supersede the other even in the case of rape. There are two victims involved in this. The unborn and the one who is raped.
    Well if you feel the woman should carry the rapist's child to full term, then you're doing exactly what you claim you can't accept - superceding the rights of one over "another" (quote marks to indicate this isn't actually a person until a certain stage in the pregnancy, highly likely to be well past the point where a rape victim would have a termination).

• Advertisement

6 pages?!

This thread really gestated quickly.

unlike some things...

bruhahahahahhaaha!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement