Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions, anyone?

• 14-05-2009 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Was sitting in CS labs today wishing I hadn't left my headphones at home when suddenly I had a thought. Wouldn't it be amazing if the labs had vending machines that sold cheap headphones? Who's with me!

Anyone else have any ideas they're too afraid to be ridiculed for? :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

hehe awful idea tbh. Go into the office's on the bottom floor and ask one of the guys if they can get you one, they have a good few just for the labs locked away. Just say you need them for an online tutorial or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 winnie the poo

student allotments on campus to grow their own fruit and veg. yay!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I dunno, it's not a terrible idea. Would be great in the music tech labs also.

Only if they were really cheap though. Like, a fiver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

banquo wrote: »
    I dunno, it's not a terrible idea. Would be great in the music tech labs also.

Only if they were really cheap though. Like, a fiver.
    Cheap headphones and Music Tech don't mix, pity that people are so intent on thieving the ones that we had so much so that you have to go up to the office to get some, sign for them and bring them back. First they took the jack connections and then the actual headphones.
    I remember loads of cheapish but workable ones locked up in a cabinet that we used for one of our computer music labs in the CS labs in first year and give back at the end of class, wonder where they all got to?

I've a pair of Sennheiser HD 600s. They're beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Nationalist

banquo wrote: »
    I've a pair of Sennheiser HD 600s. They're beautiful.

I gots me some Sennheiser HD 215s. Sweet. But very bulky looking, not something you'd wear on the bus.

They sell headphones in Tesco for €1.99. Just remember that they are €1.99 for a reason.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Ha! I really like the allotments idea!

An outdoor condom machine on campus near the apartments is essential.

Beau wrote: »
    An outdoor condom machine on campus near the apartments is essential.

YES. YES. *Virtual handshake*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Or a vending machine that sells water rather than just fizzy drinks in the arts block.

Burn down the library and start from scratch. Fire the chimps that run it (not the general staff, just the overall management) and turn it into a quad bike arena.

There, I said it.

• Advertisement

Put a bleachers outside the John Hume so there could be public rallies. The former partner told me how UCD put in the lake to remove the college of any centre point where rallies could be held. LAME.

MOAR RALLIEZZZZZZZ

Rozabeez wrote: »
    Or a vending machine that sells water rather than just fizzy drinks in the arts block.

I found this animal vending machine that gives out free water. Its beside the normal Arts block vending machines, just less conspicuous and more free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Burn down the library and start from scratch. Fire the chimps that run it (not the general staff, just the overall management) and turn it into a quad bike arena.

There, I said it.

Classic, I'd vote for that. Who needs books when you have JStor anyway. I wanted to find that 'Advice Dog' picture I put up ages ago about how burning things was obviously a great tactic since we all got away with it last time around but I can't find it. Oh well.

I *think* the UCD layout stuff is all a great urban myth, but I'm not entirely sure. While the place was constructed after that glorious year of 1968 (La Université Populaire!) but as far as I'm aware the plans were long in place before it. http://www.archiseek.com/content/showthread.php?t=1266 - I don't think they got any answers over there.

OH, EDIT:
    Google and Archiseek.com deliver the goods as ever:
    First off, the obvious one (and the most tiresome one). The UCD campus competition was held in 1963-64, the Paris riots were in 1968. All of the salient features that people attribute to 'riot-proofing' are nothing of the sort, and were present in some form in the 1964 Wejchert competition entry.
    a) The lake is there as a fire-fighting measure and came about because there is/was a stream running through the site that apparently stank to high heaven before the campus was built. By damming it to create the lake the smell was removed.
    b) The various flights of steps, which admittedly are slightly awkward to negotiate, are a design feature intented to overcome the undulating nature of the site, not to make mass assembly awkward.
    c) The design of the Arts building, with a common ground floor and upper floors that become less interconnected as they rise higher, was intended to give the individual departments a specific identity while allowing for (conceptual) interdiscipliniarity at ground level, where all fields meet and share space. This design feature wasn't developed so riot police could get the lift to the top floor and drive the unruly students down to the ground floor from above.
    d) The underground tunnels also weren't an anti-riot feature as has been suggested. Ever look above your head in UCD? Ever see an overhead wire? Didn't think so. All services are underground.
    I'm not saying that you suggested all of these, but I've heard all of them down through the years at one time or another. What someone's belief in riot-proofing says to me is that they arrive at UCD with their opinion of it firmly decided beforehand and they are unable to see it for what it is. Concrete jungle, sigh sigh sigh.

So as much as me and the student left today like to imagine it, I don't think our French situationist friends brought about the layout of UCD. Have to say I thought there was a link there myself for years, and 'the man' was shaking all the way off in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

How about NUIM allowing off-campus access to Jstor just like every other uni? How OUTRAGEOUS would that be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭truebluedub

There is off campus access to JSTOR just type .jproxy.nuim.ie after the .org in Jstor and input your student no. and password.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

The CS Lab upstairs has a rake of earphones in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Get rid of the VPN, damn thing is always disconnecting............

Advertisement