Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PostGraduate Loan

Options
  • 14-05-2009 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

Hello,I really need advise for my best friend,he has been through a lot of disappointments lately .Here is a summary :-

He got an offer from TCD for a masters programme.He unfortunately has been unemployed for about 12 months now ,he intends to apply for the Mature grants which if he successfully gets would mean he would get €6000 for the fees,but the course fees are about €13,000.I would really appreciate any advise about how he can get a Loan to fund his studies and accommodation.

He have very little knowledge on how Student loans work and I dont either,basically he would like to borrow about €6000 but would like to get advise on

-The best bank to approach
    -Considering that he has been unemployed for about 12 months,is this a realistic endeavour.
    -If this is not feasible ,are there any other routes to rasing funds for postgraduate studies.

All responces(especially postive ones:D)would be highly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Larkenn

Is €13000 the cost of one year of the course or the total course of two years? If its two years, check if the €6000 limit applies to each year of the course. I know the cut off point for any postgrad course is around €6200 which takes into account the registration cost too. If it is €13000 for one year then he will have to pay the remainder of the fee.

Tell your friend to contact the mature students office of the college for advice on any further grants/scholarships he might go for and general finance advice. He might also like to contact his local citizens information centre for advice on entitlements and finance.

Advertisement