Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought 7.6mb from Eircom.. got 4mb ??

Options
  • 14-05-2009 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi All, smile.gif

I am in a strange situation with Eircom.

I had a 3mb "Business Starter" Line with them, and it was very good, speed was fine, with no problems. However the 30gb download limit was a bit too low. When Eircom removed the download limit for the 7.6mb package, I ordered an upgrade via their website. I waited a few days, and then noticed that my line speed had increased (a little)..

My line stats are as follows: (sorry for poor formatting)

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream / Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 4096 / 384
    SN Margin (dB) 16.40 / 16.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 41.00 / 23.50
    CRC Errors 0 / 0

I'm at the end of the Eircom Local Loop, around 3.59km from the exchange.

I'm using a netopia router 2247-02 with the latest firmware. It's plugged directly into the master socket which has an inbuilt DSL filter (fitted by eircom).

Is there anything I can do to increase the speed ? I'm quite dissappointed that my anticipated doubling of the speed is actually only around a 30% increase. I'm also concerned that the anticipated doubling of my upload speed didn't happen either ? I run a VoIP system and need the upstream bandwidth..

I do appreciate that I am quite far from the exchange and that this may be that best that I can get at present. But any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You have the correct upload speed , the margin of 16db indicates the line could take more ....realistically not the full 7mbits but possibly 5

A better router than the eircom one might be what you need but try turning it off for 30 mins and on again and see if it synchs at a better speed

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Your line is upto 7MB so basically depends what quality it is, as Sponge Bob has said your SNR margin is pretty ok which suggests your line should be capable of abit more (provided that SNR margin is not fluctuating)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    You have the correct upload speed , the margin of 16db indicates the line could take more ....realistically not the full 7mbits but possibly 5

A better router than the eircom one might be what you need but try turning it off for 30 mins and on again and see if it synchs at a better speed

im in similar situation to the op, what in this case would be a better modem than the Eircom Router to perhaps get a higher speed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

That has come up before if you read this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055006935

I hear they have a different chipset nowadays but there are better routers out there than the Netopia ....including the older 3 series Netopia eircom use to ship 3 years ago .

also check

1. Internal wiring
    2. Filter , there are better ones out there than the ones eircom ship, test by removing filter and plugging modem straight into phone socket no filter
    3. Have you a sky box, unplug it and see what happens after power down ?

Report back on 2 and 3

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Bear in mind that it really is very difficult to predict the performance of any particular router on a line in advance. You can get useful user equipment reviews at www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk.

• Advertisement
Advertisement