Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking Too Much Water

• 14-05-2009 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

OK, so I was in hospital recently for an operation and, after all the tests etc the doctor came back to tell me my body's levels of sodium were too low, and while it wasn't imminently threatening I should start adding more salt to my food when cooking and to switch to drinks containing electrolytes when exercising.
    She also told me to cut down on the amount of fluids I take in, which is actually is going to be the hardest part! On average I would get through about 5 litres of water a day, more on days where I train (running). That's aside from tea, and the odd alcoholic/fizzy drink (though I wouldn't have them every day).
    The thing is, I get through that amount without thinking, that just seems to be what my thirst dictates. If I don't I get really cranky and tired and headache-y. I know excessive thirst is a symptom of diabetes, but I've had tests and it's not that. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to curb thirst? I've tried a few different things, and tbh the added salt doesn't help!!
    I've also looked online for information about the effects of drinking that amount of water/ having too little sodium in the body, but all I've come across is stuff about having too much sodium (obviously more common), and stuff about ridiculous water overdoses where people who were sick/on drugs drank some huge amount in a short space of time and died/caused themselves brain damage, none of which is of any help to me!
    So, I know this a bit long, and I'll finish rambling now, but if anyone has any advice or information I'd be really grateful!:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

What about chewing gum when you think you are thirsty? If that doesn't work, then have a small glass of water, maybe half whatever you'd normally drink.

I've said before that I think people push the "Water cures everything" too much. I've noticed that we Irish tend to drink more water (and tea, coffee, wine) etc than French people, but we are a lot fatter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Did they test to see if you are a diabetic? Generally a strong thirst is a sign.

Maybe try a potassium supplement, as i've seen it recommended it when people start increasing their water intake and losing retained water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

Did they test to see if you are a diabetic? Generally a strong thirst is a sign.

Maybe try a potassium supplement, as i've seen it recommended it when people start increasing their water intake and losing retained water.

Yeah, I've been tested for diabetes, it's not that. Will try potassium, is that in tablet/capsule form do you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Why not do what your doctor said and have a drink with plenty of electrolytes? You can make your own and drink that instead of water when training. You might as well satisfy your thirst since you've had the tests and there's no problem. Google homemade sports drinks and try the many recipes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭candy_pants

I feel for you because if its just what you're body seems to crave than it must be quite difficult for you to have to cut back - as it would be with anything.

Maybe you could try eating fruit or some veggies when you feel thirsty. I know that the body needs up to 2 litres per day but I've recently read that some of that water intake should come from food as well as water. So maybe grab an apple or punnet of blueberries or something?

I don't know if thats useful at all for you but good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

thanks for the advice guys, will try it all out!

Advertisement