Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

slugs

Options
  • 14-05-2009 6:27pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

hi all

can one tell what wildlife i need to introduce into my garden to eat the 500 million slugs which reside there?

i had been using coffee granules to try and keep them under control but after the destruction of about 60e worth of plants in 3 days, i have realised this isnt going to work

at the moment i have those horrible blue pellets all over the place, i hate using them but just got completely desperate during the week and tbh i think they are immune to them, i have just pull 20 off one plant and there are thousands of them

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Beer works well - they drown in it. Sink a 1/4 full beer can into the ground and they'll head for the free beer, fall in and drown. I've also heard that they don't like egg shells so if you disperse broken egg shells around your valued plants the slugs won't crawl over them.

The easiest (and unfriendliest) method is the pellets. They are most effective but I've heard that some pellets can be harmful to birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

ducks, they are partial to slugs,
    hedgehogs,
    Slug Nematodes,
    some stuff here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Thread here. I use a combination of picking the slimeballs into a bucket of boiling water, dosing the beds with nematodes and using the pellets, I also have copper rings protecting my hostas. At the moment we haven't had much rain where I am. I expect the garden will erupt with molluscs after the first deluge - If it doesn't, maybe my control measures are actually working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

I don't know what wildlife will eat slugs..

I use saucers of beer (cheapest can in Lidl) and just make sure the saucer is slightly lower than soil level so the slugs can actually get in..

They drown in the beer.. a blissful happy ending for them I hope.

I know some people use salt.. apparantly this means trapsing around in the mornings putting salt on the slugs as they head out for their breakfast. The beer is probably a much nicer way for them to die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 minifan

which.co.uk did a review of slug control methods - ducks came out well, but not very practical. I think top of their list was picking them off, followed by copper rings around each plant. I found beer worked, but too expensive, I'd rather drink it myself! sand or hair also supposed to deter them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

I use blue pellets...I know they aren't animal friendly but I pick my veg's health over them I'm afraid.

The big trick is to make sure that it is a 'Mission Impossible' style ring of pellets around the plants. If there is a gap, trust me, they will break through :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

when using beertraps make sure that the lip of the trap is about an inch above ground level so that ground beetles don't fall in and drowned(they eat slug eggs)...it won't matter to the slug that they have to climb in because they love the beer so much...:).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

thanks for all your advice

i cant do beer traps, cleaning out makes me feel really sick :o

i am going to send away for those nematodes

they must serve some purpose in the ecco system, so i would prefer that something ate them but ducks are really practical. someone else said hedgehogs, i am not sure how to get them into the garden, i would probably have to put food out for them which i dont want to do, as i have a cat and rat problem as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Last night I finally used pellets very sparingly.

For months I have been using traps; need not be beer as anything fruity will do the same, eg jam that has fermented or just juice.

Losing lupins etc is not funny.

They fill rapidly with the creatures; I just empty the cans - most of them are empty cat food tins - into the hedge.

Also plastic collars made from milk cartons etc do well; but they were climbing inside them. ( I once left an empty coffee cup out overnight and there were two black nasties stuck in that in the morning... )

Interesting as they seemed nto to be able to get out again? Nothing in the mug and it had rained in the night.

So last night war was waged; surrounded each new runner bean plant with a mixture of salt and sand, put a collar on, then spinkled pellets VERY lightly.

This morning a crop of large, dead, ridged black creatures who seem to shun other methods. And no damage to new plants.

A combination that seems to work - without spending more than the plants/food would cost.

They will also crawl under any black plastic or wood lyinga round and can be collected in the morning; but you have to get used to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Hedgehogs are a protected species in Ireland so if you don't already have one in your garden, you can't bring one in...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

Here's what I did last night, which is a bit gross but works really well :o

Go out with a scissors and snippety snip in half any slugs you come across. Go back inside for a couple of hours.

A little known fact is that slugs and snails will devour their fallen comrades and it seems to me actually prefer to eat their snipped in half mates than eat plants.

Go back out two hours after your first sortie and you'll find millions all around the dead ones you cut in half earlier. Dispatch carnivores in the same manner as the earlier victims. Repeat for 2-3 rainy nights in a row.

There. Told you it was gross :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9 mor_rigan

I use lime and it works quite well. It's a plus for carrots and brassicas as well as they like a limey soil

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

has anyone a suggestion as to how to keep the slugs in one area of the (vegetable) garden and mainly ignore the parts you especially need to protect?
    I have noticed that if you disturb an area they are infesting (long grass) that they will obviously be a much greater threat to nearby plants.
    People suggest sowing sacrificial lettuces etc but I always am fearful it will attract as many as it distracts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 queenie1

Please do not harmful slug pellets see the attached link

http://thesecretgardencentre.blogspot.com/2009/05/i-beg-to-differ.html

http://www.cat.org.uk/ihateslugs/slugpellets.tmpl

Ducks, hedgehogs, birds and other organic means far better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Sloworms eat slugs by the ton.
    I'm not sure where to get them but they're common enough in england.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anguis_fragilis

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

I think they are a protected species in England.
    Also they are apparently attacked by cats in an unpleasant (slow) way.
    I tried to get a hedgehog but was told that ,as they are also protected , it was more or less out of the question unless one adopts you- and you are not allowed to restrict its passage to your garden.

I know, but it does depend which sites you use.

Sometimes the pellets are the only way used very, very sparingly and carefully.

Ducks are very destructive in a vegetable garden. They have large feet and hungry beaks.

And the number of slugs here is overwhelming.

Interesting; twice I have accidentally left an empty coffee mug out overnight.

No dregs; no sugar. Both times there have been black slugs in it in the morning. Plain mug too.

Another way discovered by accident was a dish of dog scraps that got left out; the large black slugs congregated therein.

But the pellets work.

Not needful to make a ring; just a tiny amount works well.
    queenie1 wrote: »
    Please do not harmful slug pellets see the attached link

http://thesecretgardencentre.blogspot.com/2009/05/i-beg-to-differ.html

http://www.cat.org.uk/ihateslugs/slugpellets.tmpl

Ducks, hedgehogs, birds and other organic means far better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

IMHO, using slug pellets is counterproductive, because it kills the birds who would otherwise eat tons of them. This clears the way for future generations of slugs to expand.

I have a couple of good slug traps - I fill them with Guinness or cheap Polish beer and the slugs head in. Next morning I turn on the hose and take out the lid of the trap, which has a kind of grille gadget in a circle underneath, so the slugs are lifted out with it. I dump them on the grass for the birds (Limaces marinée en Guinness, delicious, their fave treat) and rinse off the grille part of the trap and put it back in.

Then every few days I take the traps in and wash them in very hot water with bleach and detergent, and rinse them in very hot water, charge them with new beer and set 'em again.

Otherwise, I generally go out at 10pm and midnight, and occasionally again at 2am, and snip up the slugs.

Slug predators: birds, foxes, hedgehogs, frogs, newts.

If you want to do the Saddam on them, you can use nematodes. These are a parasite that infects whole populations of slugs and kills them wholesale. You buy it (Mr Middleton in Mary Street, Dublin used to sell it, probably still does) and mix it with warm water and spray it or sprinkle it on quite a large area of your garden. After a couple of weeks they'll die in masses like Europeans during the Black Death.

If you're using this, the best time to do it is when your plants are babies, because the slugs aren't such a problem when the plants grow bigger. It works for about six weeks.

For hostas, you're probably best ringing the pots with the toothed copper bands sold here: http://www.gardening-naturally.com/acatalog/Copper_Snail_Slug_Tape.html - expensive, but it works.

A friend of mine in Tipperary had terrible trouble with slugs in her lettuce, and she made a raised bed about thigh-high and ringed it with a two-inch-wide band of copper tape, filled it with clean compost then religiously went out and killed any slug that appeared inside it for the first few weeks. She had an absolutely slug-free bed using this method.

Does anyone know where to get slug traps in Dublin at the moment, by the way? I could do with a few more. I sometimes use yogurt pots or half-pint milk bottles, but the traps are more economical on beer.

There is no real evidence that slug pellets kill birds actually.... traps are easy to make:)

sorellaThere is no real evidence that slug pellets kill birds actually.... traps are easy to makesmile.gif

No real evidence.....let me work that one out, slugs get poisoned,birds eat poisoned slugs and then birds get poisoned due to the increased toxins they consume via original slug pellets. MMMMMM BASIC ENOUGH FOR YOU SORELLA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Luckat, are the Nematodes species specific, or will they affect snails too?

We have Hedgehogs every year, but they seem to prefer the snails. This year we've had some goliath slugs, almost 5", 6", quite impressive creatures.

In decades they have never seen a bird eat a dead slug.

And no need for that tone of voice either.

We do care and we are careful.

queenie1 wrote: »
    sorellaThere is no real evidence that slug pellets kill birds actually.... traps are easy to makesmile.gif

No real evidence.....let me work that one out, slugs get poisoned,birds eat poisoned slugs and then birds get poisoned due to the increased toxins they consume via original slug pellets. MMMMMM BASIC ENOUGH FOR YOU SORELLA

I'm not sure if the nematodes kill both slugs and snails - they'd tell you in Mr Middleton's.

As for whether slug pellets kill wildlife, I may be wrong. However:

http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp?id=12350&title=Inquiry+after+dog+killed+by+Homebase+slug+pellets
    Inquiry after dog killed by Homebase slug pellets
    Calls for better labelling on hazardous products after family pet dies from ingesting own-brand pellets.

An inquiry has been launched into the labelling of DIY chain Homebase's slug pellets following the death of a Labrador that ingested them.

<snip>

did not realise thats birds have the ability to distinguish from slugs and snails that have dined on the old blues. wow you learn something every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Did I read on a post somewhere around here about someone letting their chickens roam their veg patch which ate the slugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭IKOS

what about getting a chicken as a pet? they eat the slugs! but the mess they leave is another issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Chickens will eat the slugs - the fancier breeds, like silkies, will be gentler on your garden beds, but they WILL consume seedlings etc.

They're useful to have if you're squeamish about handling slugs - you could bring them with you around the garden and overturn slug hiding spots and the chooks will barge in and clear the place out - e.g. leave a piece of old lino or something on your grass, over a slug trap, for a night - turn it over in the light of day and let the chooks do their thing.

I never found that my hens, when I had them, ate slugs; an occasional snail, yes, but not slugs, and not many snails. What they did eat with muted enthusiasm was slug and snail eggs.

Really it's a case of "the best manure is the farmer's foot" - if you're out there killing them every night, you wear them down.

This article - http://www.eartheasy.com/grow_nat_slug_cntrl.htm - says that changing your watering so you water in the morning rather than at night can reduce slug damage by 80%. Unfortunately I read it just after watering lavishly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

the rhs has an envoirnmently friendly slug pellet, it can be ordered online

Advertisement