Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Limewire 5.1.2

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Do not use limewire ....ever. Try torrents, rapidshare or usenet but never ever use limewire.
    +1000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I've read the thread and no mention yet of Frostwire, which is basically an open source mimic of Limewire, with extra bits attached. Free.

searchx.jpg

librarye.jpg

---

Standalone Site: http://www.frostwire.com

Project Site on SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/frostwire

---

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Amalgam wrote: »
    I've read the thread and no mention yet of Frostwire, which is basically an open source mimic of Limewire, with extra bits attached. Free.

---

You didn't read page 2 then did you?

Frostwire is just as bad as Limewire.

<-- Sleepy. :D I dumped them both a long while back, I thought it the lesser of two evils. Not happy with the constant traffic, firewall lit up when using Sygate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I just found this thread now. I was basicly told by my local PC repair guy that I would be better off disgarding my last laptop because of the internal damage that was caused from downloads from limewire. I picked up one virus that was found but was told I had so many more that my anti-virus never located that had done some serious damage. he tried to explain but ah :rolleyes: no, I just couldn't make sense of what he was saying at the time.

I was just absolutely livid. I had so much on that laptop that I had to disgard "just in case it was infected".

DO NOT use limewire folks...if for nothing else, but for your own sanity in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I just found this thread now. I was basicly told by my local PC repair guy that I would be better off disgarding my last laptop because of the internal damage that was caused from downloads from limewire. I picked up one virus that was found but was told I had so many more that my anti-virus never located that had done some serious damage. he tried to explain but ah :rolleyes: no, I just couldn't make sense of what he was saying at the time.

I was just absolutely livid. I had so much on that laptop that I had to disgard "just in case it was infected".
    :eek:

Yes he was right to say that a windows install could be so corrupted that it's more trouble than it's worth to repair. But a client shouldn't be told that their data is unrecoverable when there are many simple options.

Boot up off an ubuntu live CD, download clamAV and it's updates and scan the system.
    remove the HDD , put in a caddy and scan as a slave drive to a clean system
    install a second copy of windows in another folder and use that to clean the system.

wiping a system should only be done when the data has been copied off it

:eek:

Yes he was right to say that a windows install could be so corrupted that it's more trouble than it's worth to repair. But a client shouldn't be told that their data is unrecoverable when there are many simple options.

Boot up off an ubuntu live CD, download clamAV and it's updates and scan the system.
    remove the HDD , put in a caddy and scan as a slave drive to a clean system
    install a second copy of windows in another folder and use that to clean the system.

wiping a system should only be done when the data has been copied off it

Thank you Capt'n Midnight. Seriously :)

I actually bought a new laptop shortly after I went in to him but kept my old one because I have so much on it that I both can't & didn't want to just disgard "just in case...".

I will use what you suggested here on my old laptop.

Sorry, but this doesn't wash with me, if anyone tells you to buy a new laptop because of a software problem, that's bull****, I've come across this before, you (and your wallet..) need to find better folk to get advice from..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Absolutely. My sister's laptop was sooo farked that it took 20 mins to start up, 5 mins to load IE. and each letter you typed would only show up every 5 seconds.

I tried everything to clean it, all the diagnostics said it had serious hardware problems with CPU and memory etc.

I wiped it and reinstalled windows and it worked perfectly after that. People just try to con you into buying stuff you do not need

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I will use what you suggested here on my old laptop.
    check out the malware forum too http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1009

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭-osborne-

Zascar wrote: »
    Absolutely. My sister's laptop was sooo farked that it took 20 mins to start up, 5 mins to load IE. and each letter you typed would only show up every 5 seconds.

I tried everything to clean it, all the diagnostics said it had serious hardware problems with CPU and memory etc.

I wiped it and reinstalled windows and it worked perfectly after that. People just try to con you into buying stuff you do not need

ever virus i have ever gotten always seems to target IE thats why i never use it ,IE is so slow to load up even when you don't have any viruses
    viva la firefox lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Dante

So is this Ares worth downloading? I mainly use torrents etc but for single files I always use Limewire.

So is this Ares worth downloading? I mainly use torrents etc but for single files I always use Limewire.
    ya defo i just downloaded it there some good features init,you can use the program to download torrents aswell

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

-osborne- wrote: »
    ever virus i have ever gotten always seems to target IE thats why i never use it ,IE is so slow to load up even when you don't have any viruses
    viva la firefox lol
    +1
    I've started using Google Chrome now too and loving it so far.
    Very fast and not as bloated a Firefox can get with add-ons

The thing about Google chrome is if a few people are using the computer, especially a family it’s a bit annoying how everyone know what website you were on,i know you can you into the secret mode but f$ck it its too much work, I know what you mean about the add-ons I find myself deleting add-ons after a week when the novelty wears off

Amalgam wrote: »
    Sorry, but this doesn't wash with me, if anyone tells you to buy a new laptop because of a software problem, that's bull****, I've come across this before, you (and your wallet..) need to find better folk to get advice from..
    Zascar wrote: »

Yeah I did feel taken in but at the time I just wanted a working laptop to get on with some work & when I think of my own anger over my own damn stupidity of actually using limewire, it was honestly just an easier option to purchase a new laptop. I know, easier shouldn't over-ride common sense & practicality but I live & learn so I do (albeit an expensive lesson to learn).

I took the advice from there also & gave it to a friend to use & I don't seem to find anything wrong with my old laptop right now but I'll bring it to another PC guy to look at again in the morning.

I've book-marked this forum now, Thanks again :o:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

DO NOT use limewire folks...if for nothing else, but for your own sanity in the long run.

sorry only chiming in now, but that's ****ing disgraceful, way too many cowboys and overpricing feckers out there. I know plenty of them that think opening a shop and buying in stock qualifies you to offer repairs. If you ever do bring your stuff somewhere to be checked / repaired ask for a quote first and a description of the work to be carried out, get a second opinion here if need be or from someone who might know a bit about pcs etc..

I've had people come to me after visiting a few of these bandits, things like charging to re-install the operating system (90euro) because the customer had tried to install an anti-virus but cancelled half way through and it kept popping up to continue the install when he rebooted. (this was after already paying to have it wiped the first time).
    He went into the shop to get a wireless adapter for his laptop....... poor guy got fleeced by the time he left the shop. And the real kicker about it, the "repair" guy never even bothered to activate windows. 30 days later, in comes the cash cow customer.

Things like this really annoy me. If you named these guys I'm sure they'd claim slander ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Dante

ya defo i just downloaded it there some good features init,you can use the program to download torrents aswell

Yea its actually quite good.....cheers for the advice! <3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Sounds to me that he was too lazy to fix it, it is quite possible that he considered your data to be nonessential so he just took the easy option.

Can anyone give me a couple of arguments in point form that i can use to explain to a couple of computer noobs about why NOT to use Limewire?
    I understand why, I just cant put it into a valid persuasive argument
    i was trying to explain to a cousin who wants to have the latest music for free etc etc but not being in anyway technical, she doesn't understand it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Can anyone give me a couple of arguments in point form that i can use to explain to a couple of computer noobs about why NOT to use Limewire?
    I understand why, I just cant put it into a valid persuasive argument

Well with most versions of Limewire, when you search for something the default option is to search ALL file types.

So they are not just searching for .mp3, they are searching for .doc, .pdf, .EXE, .avi e.t.c

So along comes the big bad hacker and writes a virus and he names the virus file "kings of leon - closer.mp3.exe"

Now when the user searches for that song the virus gets listed in the search results and when the user downloads it, instead of the song been played the user has just installed a virus.

Hope I explained that right I'm a bit drunk

• Advertisement

Why not to use limewire:

1) Without common sense and using a very good anti-virus there's a good chance you'll get a virus or some sort of associated crapware.

2) Limewire doesn't actually conceal your activity, so if you're doing anything illegal you broadband provider may cut you off (if they're under the heel of the music/film companies).

3) While you may think you're only downloading on limewire, you're actually sharing your files with others. If you're sharing your music collection (even if you rip it from cds) you are technically doing something illegal. If brought to court, you could receive a considerable fine.

4) Ignoring legalities and what you're doing with limewire, there are opensource alternatives out there, while the content shared on these programs isn't necessarily safe, the program should be as anyone with the relevant skills can dissect the program code and figure out what it does.

5) The majority of machines I fix for virus related problems have limewire on them. Coincidence? I think not.

6) Just because you have an antivirus does not mean you're safe. Some of the free antivirus don't pick up spyware / adware / greyware effectively. Some of the PAID antivirus don't pick up spyware / adware / greyware effectively.

7) There's no such thing as free when it belongs to someone else.

8) Every time someone installs limewire, I make 50euro. lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Agreed Bob-Bot,

And the weird thing is when you explain to the parents what has caused the virus they still wont let you uninstall it because

"the kids need it for their music" :)

By the way you could probably charge a bit more

RoadKillTs wrote: »
    So along comes the big bad hacker and writes a virus and he names the virus file "kings of leon - closer.mp3.exe"
    Don't you mean

"kings of leon - closer.mp3 _____________________________________________________________ .exe" ?

almost corrected you there Capt'n :P

RoadKillTs, I could charge a lot more, but virus removal is pretty straight forward once you know what you're doing. It's more of a run in the background task :P Plus people are skint so charging much higher, they'll look for a friend of a friend to do it. They may not get the job done right, but they'll only charge something small as it's a nixer. :P

Ah sure, I'm happy enough with my prices, never aim to fleece people :)

reasons not to use limewire
    unless you know what you are doing you are likely to get viruses or incorrecly named files instead of what you wanted

people who know what they are doing generally don't use it

a bit like Belkin products, almost only used by home users , anyone clued in will get a similar product for half the price and professinals/corporate rarely use Belkin kit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Thank you Capt'n Midnight, Bob_Bot and RoadKillTs, on reflection, i'm sure they wont stop downloading songs from Limewire, i'm just waiting 'til i can say "Told ya So" to them then walk away laughing... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

yup as the lads mentioned you would want a good virus killer first before you start downloading from limewire it is full of viruses,reason some people get caught is they forget to disable the share folder feature,ok i know your ip can be still visable when your downloading,the same can be said about torrents,theres alot of hoax files on limewire too,sometimes i think its just carelessness on peoples part too that makes people a fortune in fixes,speaking of which i know the people the fix comps often would find downloaded movies on the comps and people who send them in woundnt think thats bit unsual *of course if you backed it onto your comp of course lol*,another popular thing they do in the big pc superstores is to offer and try sell them the virus killers for the comps...

I downloaded Ares and that day it worked fine for me & I downloaded 5songs but since then I haven't been able to download any music from it. It just keeps on saying connecting... but it never actually connects for me. Any ideas as to why that is? Has it happened to anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

havent used it so i cant personally say,maybe windows firewall has blocked it?,you could try go to security settings in windows,go to firewall,then in the exceptions tab,find the shortcut to that program,then allow it...

• Advertisement

Fred83 wrote: »
    havent used it so i cant personally say,maybe windows firewall has blocked it?,you could try go to security settings in windows,go to firewall,then in the exceptions tab,find the shortcut to that program,then allow it...

I tried that but no, still happening. Thanks for replying anyways.

Advertisement