Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problems entering Peru for Irish

• 14-05-2009 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm planning a trip round s. america at the moment. This involves flying from Sao Paulo to Lima then backpackin it down to santigo.

I've recently heard that there is a problem for irish passport holders who fly into peru without a booked flight out..basically they wont let u in if u dont have a flight out, even tho I have a flight booked from santigo a few months later.

The guy in trailfinders said that this is only really a problem for irish people in Peru and not and other country.

Has anyone experience of this?

Thanks
    P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭HankScorpio1985

i flew into lima last year to start off my trip and i had a flight home from rio and i didnt have any problems. i was on my own as well at the time and they didnt even question me.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭paulieeye

i flew into lima last year to start off my trip and i had a flight home from rio and i didnt have any problems. i was on my own as well at the time and they didnt even question me.

this could just be trailfinders just covering there ass. after talking to the visa dept in trailfinders it seems that brazil is stricter than Peru. I find it hard to believe that they wud not allow u in if u can prove that ur goin to be in a different country to catch a flight within the 90 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Im hoping this is not the case OP as Im due to fly into Lima on June 16th and out of Buenos Aires 3 months later.
    Last thing I wanna be doing is buying a ticket out of the country and then chasing a refund for it:(

Hope it all goes well ratm. Let us know how u get on if possible

Yeah I'll be the Boards.ie Peruvian guinea pig :D
    Will post here if I get in okay.

I hate these onwards flights rules, if I wanted to work and stay illegally in their country I could just as easily do it by purposely missing my onward flight, hence making a mockery of the whole rule. The rule just doesn't add up and it only serves to annoy travellers who are on a long trip taking in a number of countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

That sounds like a load of bullsh1t to me. All EU countries recieve the same travel regulations when traveling to Peru. So it would not be a unique rule for Irish people. Ireland doesn´t have any different restrictions for Peruanos visiting Ireland. So there should be no reciprication on the other end.

Anyways if there will be a problem it won´t be in Peru and it won´t be with Peruvian migracion. It will be in Sao Paulo and with whatever airline you are flying with. Sometimes they will look for proof of onward travel because in the rare case that you are refused entry they have to cover the costs of flying you back out of Peru. But on the Peruvian end they will not give a flying fu(k whether you have proof of leaving. So my advice would be to contact the airline and that should put your mind at ease. And in any case you woulnd´t have to book a flight. A bus over the border is sufficient.

RATM wrote: »
    Yeah I'll be the Boards.ie Peruvian guinea pig :D
    Will post here if I get in okay.

Hey RATM, how'd u get on? hopefuly ur not rottin in a peruvian dungeon somewhere and you can read this

paulieeye wrote: »
    Hey RATM, how'd u get on? hopefuly ur not rottin in a peruvian dungeon somewhere and you can read this

:D Its also a bit bizarre that I said Id be the Boards Pervian guinea pig and then I arrive in Peru to find out that roasted guinea pig is a national dish, just had my first one last night and it was delish. And I dont feel one bit guilty about eating a child's pet :D

Paulieeye I flew into Lima via a stopover in San Paulo and had no problems whatsoever. I was weary-eyed after a long flight and the customs dude just stamped me right through with no questions asked. I later looked at my passport and to my surprise he had given me a 60 day visa without me even asking for one, I had thought 30 days was standard.
    I did have a ticket in my bag going Buenos Aires-London but as I said no ticket was asked for whatsoever.

So you can go back into Trailfinders and thank them sarcastically for their wrong information:pac:

RATM wrote: »
    :D Its also a bit bizarre that I said Id be the Boards Pervian guinea pig and then I arrive in Peru to find out that roasted guinea pig is a national dish, just had my first one last night and it was delish. And I dont feel one bit guilty about eating a child's pet :D

Paulieeye I flew into Lima via a stopover in San Paulo and had no problems whatsoever. I was weary-eyed after a long flight and the customs dude just stamped me right through with no questions asked. I later looked at my passport and to my surprise he had given me a 60 day visa without me even asking for one, I had thought 30 days was standard.
    I did have a ticket in my bag going Buenos Aires-London but as I said no ticket was asked for whatsoever.

So you can go back into Trailfinders and thank them sarcastically for their wrong information:pac:

Sounds good..i'm flying out start of sept..cant wait :D

I'll make sure to sample the guinea pig when i'm out there

Advertisement