Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

prank calls from Nigeria landline

• 14-05-2009 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

For the past 4 weeks I've been getting prank calls from a number in Nigeria and have had enough. I have read the threads on prank calls and going to the guards is my next step.

I rang them back today on a withheld number to try and piss them off and said nothing down the line to them. Within seconds they rang my mobile back so its obviously just me they are harrassing.

What I am wondering is, does anybody know why they do this? what are they gaining? (I've checked my account and I ain't paying for the calls).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Did you Google the number?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭ball

I've been geing the same thing with a Moldovan number.

It's only really early on a Sunday morning after a heavy session the night before that they do it

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Twiki

My girlfriend was getting similar calls from a UK number - we installed a call management application called PhonePilot on her Nokia smartphone, blacklisted the number and that was the end of the calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

whats their number? i'll leave them a missed call or 2 with a satellite phone see if they call back and waste some of their credit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭dunkindonuts

Dankoozy wrote: »
    whats their number? i'll leave them a missed call or 2 with a satellite phone see if they call back and waste some of their credit

Hahaha lets all call the number and piss them off :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭indenial

Yeah, googled the number and nothing.

Not supposed to give numbers out here and don't want to get banned:(, I'll PM the number to anyone interested. I just rang them there to wake them up the fu**kin bast**ds. I know Nigerians are king of the scammers but it beats me what they can gain in harassing me.

Twiki wrote: »
    My girlfriend was getting similar calls from a UK number - we installed a call management application called PhonePilot on her Nokia smartphone, blacklisted the number and that was the end of the calls.

That sounds good, is there a charge for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

the best way to deal with this is to buy a whistle and the next time they ring talk in a low voice and tell them that you are interested and when you have there full attention blow the fcuk outa the whistle i bet they wont ring your number again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

my girlfriend got the same 5 or 6 calls a night i believe it is to get you to call back as its a premium number it starts with 0706, mind you i haven't got a call back since last wednesday since i answered the phone and said- if you ring again ill fcukin kill you! Very very loudly

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    my girlfriend got the same 5 or 6 calls a night i believe it is to get you to call back as its a premium number it starts with 0706, mind you i haven't got a call back since last wednesday since i answered the phone and said- if you ring again ill fcukin kill you! Very very loudly

I rang the phone number there and held the line for 30 secs. I was charged standard rate for an international call so its not a premium number. Beats the hell out of me what they are at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Twiki

Twiki wrote: »
    indenial wrote: »
    That sounds good, is there a charge for this?

Yep - it's a commercial app which cost about $20. There are alternative apps out there but that one worked a treat - you can block specific or witheld numbers. Depending on your mobile network settings, you can even get it to divert to a recorded message for particular callers.

Advertisement