Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Library suggestions: Meeting on Tuesday

• 14-05-2009 10:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭

I'm meeting with Helen Fallon and Elizabeth Murphy about things that need improving in the library.

If anyone has other suggestions post them here and I'll bring them up.

The suggestion list is already eight miles long, but that's their problem as far as I'm concerned.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

More sexy librarians please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Nationalist

Feckin moar air conditioning on the upper floors! I was roastin on the second floor today. Too many people. Open up some windows or something.

Oh and fix that system so you can return a book and then withdraw it again immediately.

Edit: MOAR LAPTOPZZZZZZZZ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Oh and fix that system so you can return a book and then withdraw it again immediately.

The idea behind that is that it gives other people a chance to get the book so people don't hoard them. Its a pain but fair. To be honest if I know I will need a book badly I get it earlier in the year and keep it and pay the fine, its worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

There's actually a way to renew library books online. Well kept secret, don't tell anyone. It's very, very important that as many useful features such as this are kept top secret.

/Sarcasm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Definitely a +1 on the air conditioning. I can't study in the library during the summer because it's too warm, I just fall asleep within five minutes :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

banquo wrote: »
    There's actually a way to renew library books online. Well kept secret, don't tell anyone. It's very, very important that as many useful features such as this are kept top secret.

/Sarcasm

This is hardly a secret. Like all library features, it is outlined on the library website. See Library > Services and Facilities > Borrowing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

:s Think he was being sarcastic :p

I'd like to...not have to spend a lot of money on coffee....MACHINES PLZ!

Also, the wires on the stairs terrify me (Anyone seen Ghost Ship?), the noisy people on the stairs drive me crazy. And the teeeeenshy half a section for Anthropology is crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Nationalist

Rozabeez wrote: »
    :s Think he was being sarcastic :p

I'd like to...not have to spend a lot of money on coffee....MACHINES PLZ!

Also, the wires on the stairs terrify me (Anyone seen Ghost Ship?), the noisy people on the stairs drive me crazy. And the teeeeenshy half a section for Anthropology is crap.

Oh jesus the wires on the back stairs are all snapped and flailing everywhere. Well not flailing but you know what I mean.

Fix the water yoke on the upper floors. I want a water fountain, not a water dribbler. Takes over 9000 hours to fill up a 500ml bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

Definitely gotta get the heating sorted out, it's ridiculous at times in there!

And the signs about quiet chat being allowed on the ground floor only clearly aren't working. I don't know what they're gonna have to do but they have to do something, people are talking all over the place. Even when they go out to the hallways to chat they still roar their bloody heads off at some stupid jokes or have a "So I was like Oh My God, and then he was like Oh My God, and then I was like OH MY GOD" conversation that we hear every word of inside while trying to study! Really gets on my t!ts!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭morning-glory

be able to take out a day loan for each subject. rather than just being allowed take out out 1 over all. I badly needed two yesterday for different subjects but had to choose which was more important and photocopy bits from the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭evlis

Agree on the talking thing. I can't go into the place anymore because I usually end up giving out to people. Everyone has a little chat here and there for a minute but I mean when you are there for 8 hours and someone talks all day not giving a damn about anyone else around them....I'm an angry man! The other thing that bugs me is that nobody else ever says anything to them.

The iPods thing too, I will usually just ask someone to turn it down but it is a pain in the rear end to be required to parent people persistantly, mature educated people. I konw there isn't anywhere by means of a recreational social space since the canteen burned down but the LIBRARY...ITS A BLOOMIN LIBRARY FLECK OFF TO THE PUB AND EXPELL YOUR BRAIN FARTS THERE. I DONT CARE IF YOU WENT SHOPPING OR IF YER FLECKED IN YER EXAMS! I have resided to studying at home now which is a mad-house but at least I know what to expect, it's not a library so the constant disruption isn't as annoying. After this experience I reckon all I have to look forward to this summer is repeat exams or getting stabbed on the nitelink ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

(I wish I could go to this meeting, but even if I was allowed, I'm not about)

Anyway, my few cents:
    • Printers/Scanners: If they have a setting to delete files once printer, ACTIVATE IT! It creates such a delay in processing files from PC to printer. If they don't have this setting, student numbers are logged on the printers. If at 10PM, files have been left there, said students should be emailed to inform them of their forgetfulness/laziness. Repeat offenders should be fined €2 or something each time.
    • PCs: We need more, simply as. The "Multimedia Area" has 16, but with the planned expansion of the library, we need a dedicated section or sections that are academic PCs only and others for PACR reasons.
    • Wireless printing: If the Computer centre could enable there to be a wireless printing service from personal or library laptops, that would be a fantastic service.
    • Requesting week and day loans: This is not an esay implementation, but if people could even put their names down for eithwer a week or day loan, and when it's reutrned they're emailed and the first person to lend it has it for the said time, and the people who do not receive it are reminded when it is returned once again.
    • Heating: The temperature is uncomfortable come the end of the 2nd semester, air conditioning needs to be looked into.
    • Talking on the stairway: Although the people who do it are respecting those in the shelving and study areas, the doors open and they can be heard. If they could maintain a certain amount of quietness while out in the stairway.
    • Headphones: Students should not be able to hear other people's headphones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Beau wrote: »
    The idea behind that is that it gives other people a chance to get the book so people don't hoard them. Its a pain but fair. To be honest if I know I will need a book badly I get it earlier in the year and keep it and pay the fine, its worth it.
    And how is that not hoarding it?

Ok, you're paying a fine, but that still doesn't help anyone else to get access to the book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Meeting postponed to Wed 27th.

JBoyle, all those points have been driving me mad all year! About the PCs, we're gonna ask that some of the internal pcs [for moodle, library catalogue only] by the lift be converted to ''multimedia'' PCs... as opposed to those PCs that can only show pictures or play sound,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

And how is that not hoarding it?

I never said it wasn't, it is. You do what you have to do!

Advertisement