Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need some advice on sound issues throughout apartment

• 14-05-2009 10:48pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

hey,

I did the stupid and I bought a Sonos bundle without stopping and planning but I think I will probably get away with it. Here's my problem, please tell me if I'm bonkers. :)

I have an apartment with two "zones". Downstairs I'll have a HDTV and a 5.1 surround system. I havent bought that yet but when I do I would like to use the same speakers for music in that area.

Upstairs I will have a second music zone, a wifi-laptop, possibly a couple of stereo items like a standard TV and/or a projector.

I think I can just put the the Sonos 90 downstairs connected to my wifi-router (by cable) and stream stuff from my laptop to either zone (as I understand it).

I'm allergic to cables where possible, so I was thinking of buying these:

http://www.aqsound.com/store/en/product/AQ-Wireless_Speakers-Black/product_details/

Any thoughts on them?

Any advice on the sort of thing I'm trying to build?

DeV.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Dev,

Try reviewing this thread, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055385125 for starters, multi-room is not my thing so can't really offer direct advice....

Ritz.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yes I had a good read of that in fact. I guess I've committed to the Sonos so my question really is just a certain amount of sanity checking and also a recommendation for wireless speakers (how good is the audio on those? I'm not a purist by any means but I dont want to get pops and crackles etc).

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

DeVore wrote: »
    (how good is the audio on those? I'm not a purist by any means but I dont want to get pops and crackles etc).

I'm afraid, in the general speaker hierarchy, wireless just doesn't cut it. If it does, it costs a lot more than £89.

There are plenty of nice small speakers and even flat/clear speaker wire that would give better results.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Does that sound degradation apply to Sonos's wireless "zoning" too? Or does that get around it somehow?

I was thinking of using the wireless speakers to bring out onto a balcony/veranda when we are having a BBQ and back in when done. It would be handy to zap music out to them maybe.

DeV.

Does that sound degradation apply to Sonos's wireless "zoning" too? Or does that get around it somehow?

I was thinking of using the wireless speakers to bring out onto a balcony/veranda when we are having a BBQ and back in when done. It would be handy to zap music out to them maybe.

DeV.

No, sonos will stream the mp3's or whatever source (eg cd player) is playing through whichever selected input you have picked, to the "remote" sonos box.

I presume you have something like the sonus bundle 150 where you will have the zp120 in your main zone and the zp90 in your second zone?

The zp120 devices have speaker level outputs and the 90 has line level output so you will need a separate power amplifier.

If you have an amplifier (eg Home theatre surround sound amp) you can switch this and have the 120 as a powered second zone and stream the 90 through your existing amp.

Post back with what equipment you already have (including speakers etc) and what budget you have in mind and I'm sure you can get some more specific advice on how to get the most from the system.

• Advertisement

I have nothing but the Sonos bundle (yes, the ZP90 and ZP120 bundle).

Having bought that I copped myself on, realised I didnt really know what I was at (and had just spent 750 euros on that basis) and stopped.

So, what I am intent on buying:

A HD TV. (probably pioneer as buying such things in Malta is extremely expensive)
    A 5.1 surround sound system & speakers
    A projector or TV for the second zone
    An XBox
    A laptop

The idea would be to put the TV, Xbox and 5.1 system downstairs with the ZP90 talking to the 5.1 Amp and using its speakers to play music from the laptop or other sources (like XBox). Upstairs I will put the laptop with music collection, projector or second TV and the balcony speakers (ideally wireless but not a must-have).

Prices are sky high because of the shipping there so I wouldnt worry too much about the price but this is a winter home so I just want to get it set up and not blow a ton of cash (says he, having just bought the Sonos) :rolleyes:

DeV.

The idea would be to put the TV, Xbox and 5.1 system downstairs with the ZP90 talking to the 5.1 Amp and using its speakers to play music from the laptop or other sources (like XBox). Upstairs I will put the laptop with music collection, projector or second TV and the balcony speakers (ideally wireless but not a must-have).

Ok, you have got the idea correct on how to use the 90 and 120, and your shopping list for other equipment is correct.

What I would advise is to have a browse of the "HT systems recommendations" threads here and you will get some ideas of the varying surround sound options.

You will be able to plug the 90 into an input socket on the amp (assuming you go for something reasonably "seperate" and not a "HT in a box" system which usually only have limited inputs. Many amps have zone2/3/4 functionality and some have even two powered speakers for zone 2.

The remaining task for you to solve is how to send the music outside, and the problem for you if you want to run the wireless speakers is how to get the signal to them. The 120 only seems to have speaker level outputs.

You could drive a set of outdoor speakers from the 120, drive a "larger" set of indoor speakers in the room opening onto the balcony and turn up the volume, or you could get a second 120 specifically for balcony speakers (essentially zone 3).

The problem with 1) is you lose the internal use of that zone, the problem with 2) is that I don't know how loud the 120 will drive "large" speakers before it starts clipping, and the problem with 3) is the extra cost.

I'd see how you get on with the current bundle as is and see where it lacks and where it excels. What features you like and how easy you find using it.

Advertisement