Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get a nice filling hearty meal, nice a nice atmosphere?

Options
  • 14-05-2009 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

I'm being pretty much pampered in luxury for the Volvo, so as a thanks I need to take the people who are taking care of me out for at least one decent meal. We'll be at sea all day so we'll be starving, so i'm looking for somewhere that'll serve a good hearty meal, that's classy but not posh and in town, closer to the Docks the better.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Supermacs in Cross St

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭eyresquare

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Supermacs in Cross St

+1

They do a splendid mighty mac meal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

JohnCleary wrote: »
    i'm looking for somewhere that'll serve a good hearty meal, that's classy but not posh and in town

McSwiggans springs to mind. I've always found it has a nice atmosphere, not posh, consistently good food with good portions. It's a bit of a walk from the docks, but what are you going to do. That or the Grill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Rayne

Well John, you could try...

The House Hotel - Round the corner from Docks

Nimmo's Pier/Ard Bia - Spanish Arch

Brannigans - Off Quay St, where Bazaar used be (bar is called Townhouse bar)

Gemelles - Quay St, nice quite setting, homely food.

McDonaghs - Quay St, can't beat it!

Lohans - Salthill, a trek from the docks, but amazing food!

Cooke's Winebar - Upper Abbeygate Street

Interested in Barna at all? Too far?
    - O'Grady's on the Pier - ask for an upstairs window - amazing view
    - Donnelly's
    - Mulberry's
    All quality, hearty food, but trekking it to Barna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Well John, you could try...

The House Hotel - Round the corner from Docks

Nimmo's Pier/Ard Bia - Spanish Arch

Brannigans - Off Quay St, where Bazaar used be (bar is called Townhouse bar)

Gemelles - Quay St, nice quite setting, homely food.

McDonaghs - Quay St, can't beat it!

Lohans - Salthill, a trek from the docks, but amazing food!

Cooke's Winebar - Upper Abbeygate Street

Interested in Barna at all? Too far?
    - O'Grady's on the Pier - ask for an upstairs window - amazing view
    - Donnelly's
    - Mulberry's
    All quality, hearty food, but trekking it to Barna

Should probably mention something about each location?
    I always recommend Homeplate to people but it's as much of a walk as McSwiggans. Great, great food and good service. It's really small but cozy. McSwiggans is a nice spot too. As said, good atmosphere and good food too. I don't know about many places near the docks unfortunately. Best of luck finding a spot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

I'd say Nimmo's too...

(second to The 'Grill)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I hear the soup kitchen is very popular these days. Lines out the door apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭philboy

I'd have to recommend the cellar bar, was there years ago and i didnt think it was great at all. had the supreme chicken in white wine sauce, absolutely superb. Have a try, very good indeed. I used to go to mc Swiggans alot but this place is defo much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

If you want to go somewhere really nice may I recommend upstairs in Sheridans....Cracking food there and a really interesting menu. Good location for you too:)

Artisan(where Ard Bia used to be) is also very good, ate there recently and was muchos impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

"The cellar much better than MCSwiggans"?????:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Not a chance. Besides, the cellar is more bar food where as McSwiggans is a proper restaurant. You would want to book now though. I'd say they will get book up very quickly for the Volvo. (Especially McSwiggers).:)

• Advertisement

I have eaten in the House Hotel a few times and found the food good and there is a nice relaxed atmosphere in there also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    McSwiggans springs to mind. I've always found it has a nice atmosphere, not posh, consistently good food with good portions. It's a bit of a walk from the docks, but what are you going to do. That or the Grill.

...plus you've got the sailing connection with McSwiggans.

I've been thinking for the last while that Galway could do with a really good steak house. Like Shanahans in Dublin but less pricey and upmarket. Your question really brings it to mind.

What about Oscar's in Dominick Street? I've not been there but I hear great things about it and I think it's the kind of menu and atmosphere you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Folks, thanks a lot for the suggestions, plenty of places there!

I say within town because we'll be on the grog hence no driving, would like to keep it local.

You've brought 3 places to mind, depending on our moods: McSwiggans / House Hotel / Oscars. I reckon it'll be either McSwiggans or Oscars, depending on whether the group want a no-nonsense meal (McSwiggans) or 'go out for dinner' (Oscars)

Cheers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

churchview wrote: »
    What about Oscar's in Dominick Street? I've not been there but I hear great things about it and I think it's the kind of menu and atmosphere you're looking for.

Oscars is right opposite the Kebab House :D:D

Been there before a few times, and while expensive, the food does not disappoint. Also no problem making a bit of noise etc. as there's usually groups of people there

Advertisement