Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kilkenny musical society show choice 2010?

Options
  • 14-05-2009 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

we have a week before the show for 2010 is to be decided??? anyone have any input into some ideas that would suit the socities strenghts? good chorus numbers, number of leading roles and a sellout show? id be interested in your feedback.
    :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Ragtime.
    i saw an amateur production a few years ago, great story. lots of big chorus numbers, good comedy roles (the girl on the swing was great), big show but can be pared down.
    hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 kilkennymusic

is there anything you're definitely ruling out as doing, or thinking on resurrecting something from recent years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 sooshie

is there anything you're definitely ruling out as doing, or thinking on resurrecting something from recent years?
    nothing we are ruling out as of yet we are open to all suggestions.....resuuecting oliver, king and i....are two names that have popped up...then something different like sweeney todd? the hired man? maybe???

catbear wrote: »
    Ragtime.
    i saw an amateur production a few years ago, great story. lots of big chorus numbers, good comedy roles (the girl on the swing was great), big show but can be pared down.
    hope that helps
    ragtime is def one to suggest....id worry about pulling off some of the dance styles tho....

sooshie wrote: »
    ragtime is def one to suggest....id worry about pulling off some of the dance styles tho....
    fear is half the fun.
    no doubt though it's a big show. but so was fiddler.
    my personal request as an infrequant theatre goer is do something you haven't done before.
    I don't think the "gerry springer opera" is out of professional rights yet, so i'll have to wait a while before i can hear "cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians" on the watergate stage.

• Advertisement

fear is half the fun.
    no doubt though it's a big show. but so was fiddler.
    my personal request as an infrequant theatre goer is do something you haven't done before.
    I don't think the "gerry springer opera" is out of professional rights yet, so i'll have to wait a while before i can hear "cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians" on the watergate stage.
    hahaha i think thats one for devious theatre...:p

hi sooshie
    i forgot that as you are new to boards you may not be aware of the musicals forum. you'll find it if you click on the Arts tag at the top of the page. i'd imagine you might get more specific info there regarding logistics etc.....

of the more traditional musicals, i believe Seven Brides has never been done by KMS. i think carrick did it a good while back but otherwise it's supposed to be a good crowd pleaser. i've never seen it so i have no personal opinion on it.

best of luck.

hi sooshie
    i forgot that as you are new to boards you may not be aware of the musicals forum. you'll find it if you click on the Arts tag at the top of the page. i'd imagine you might get more specific info there regarding logistics etc.....

of the more traditional musicals, i believe Seven Brides has never been done by KMS. i think carrick did it a good while back but otherwise it's supposed to be a good crowd pleaser. i've never seen it so i have no personal opinion on it.

best of luck.
    thanks for the info catbear ill def check out those forums....as for seven brides for seven brothers... i LOVE that show....i brought it up before and didnt get the reaction i was lookin for for the rest of the team but im goin to keep tryin..

soooo we decided and our show for 2010 is.......................OLIVER thought it ws an all rounder really, get us some more money in the kitty to try something very different next time round:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

The last time Oliver was on in the Watergate, my sister played the lead role. They had a fantastic rotating set, which if I recall correctly, won an award.

Still I wouldnt go see it again. After watching it for 8 nights in a row, I dont think I could take it again. Consider Rocky Horror, and I'll be there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Nightwish wrote: »
    The last time Oliver was on in the Watergate, my sister played the lead role. They had a fantastic rotating set, which if I recall correctly, won an award.

Still I wouldnt go see it again. After watching it for 8 nights in a row, I dont think I could take it again. Consider Rocky Horror, and I'll be there!
    If it's rocky horror I'll even put aside my dislike for certain people involved and go!

dont think you can get the rights for rocky horror, great show, id love to do it.....lots of shows wed love to do but unfortunatly gettin the rights is difficult.

Oliver!!!!!!!!!!

again!!!!!!!!!!

Hells teeth, I'm disappointed. Ah well, must find out what the other MSs in the region are doing.

Thanks though for letting us know.

Oliver!!!!!!!!!!

again!!!!!!!!!!

Hells teeth, I'm disappointed. Ah well, must find out what the other MSs in the region are doing.

Thanks though for letting us know.
    well its been 10 maybe 11 years since its been done and that was if im rite the only time kms did it so its not really a show thats overdone, is it?

It was Spring 1997 when it was last performed. I even have it on video! It is a well worn musical. Not necessarily by KMS, but its a very common one to see performed, which is why something leftfield like Rocky would be appreciated! How about a nice classic like Phantom or Les Mis?

It was Spring 1997 when it was last performed. I even have it on video! It is a well worn musical. Not necessarily by KMS, but its a very common one to see performed, which is why something leftfield like Rocky would be appreciated! How about a nice classic like Phantom or Les Mis?
    again amateur rights are not available for any show thats is bein done professional, travellin, on west end, broadway or the likes:( wed love love love to do any of those shows but cant....yeah oliver is a popular show but had to many positives to give it a miss.... but next year somethin like sweeney todd or such will be done i reakon

Sweeney Todd is definately another I'd pay to see! I generally avoid the theatre in KK. No offence to KMS or Devious Theatre, but most of the time, the plays performed are fairly boring. To see something different, would definately regain my interest.

There are hundreds of plays available, i just think doing a show that is well known and only 10 years after the last production is just boring. I didn't go to Fiddler because i've seen KMS do it before.

So after Oliver, what then? "Lets go back ten years and see what we did then."

Rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat, rinse........

Only one musical a year and it's a repeat, disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Sweeney Todd is definately another I'd pay to see! I generally avoid the theatre in KK. No offence to KMS or Devious Theatre, but most of the time, the plays performed are fairly boring. To see something different, would definately regain my interest.

Out of curiosity, what would you consider different?

I think concerns about the theatre and music scene in Kilkenny are valid in a lot of ways because the same old crap gets put out. But this year, at least on the theatre front, The Barn Owl Players, Devious Theatre and Watergate Productions are all trying some new stuff out which hopefully will find an audience. Especially considering the bulk of the Arts Festival Theatre programme will inevitably come from Cork. Again.

As for the musicals, surely there's is something that's fresh and different that can be done? I think Sweeney Todd was a great suggestion.

Something different is something not in this list - Oliver, South Pacific, Jesus Christ Superstar, Seven Brides..., Oklahoma or My Fair Lady. I just feel they've been done to death over the years.

I'd like to see musicals like Spamalot, Tommy, Sweeney Todd or maybe try something a little different, such as off Broadway musicals like Forbidden Broadway or Go Go Beach.

• Advertisement

Something different is something not in this list - Oliver, South Pacific, Jesus Christ Superstar, Seven Brides..., Oklahoma or My Fair Lady. I just feel they've been done to death over the years.

I'd like to see musicals like Spamalot, Tommy, Sweeney Todd or maybe try something a little different, such as off Broadway musicals like Forbidden Broadway or Go Go Beach.

Oh god yeah. I agree with you completely and 100%. I just thought you were talking from a theatrical perspective as opposed to a musical one and I was curious to know what kind of different theatre you would like to see.

The unfortunate thing is that KMS and even to an extent, Watergate Productions, have absolutely no reason or incentive to change their programs.

No offence to anyone involved (and fair play to sooshie for putting this post up in the first place) but KMS have been packing out houses for years with what frankly amounts to the same old rehashed stuff. And why wouldn't they? They pack out houses consistently, they get people like Gabriel Byrne giving them props and there's a whole new generation who love seeing the same old musicals performed. So they don't need to appeal to a new audience or a younger audience by putting on something that's innovative or might stretch them in any way. They'll get the same people going to the same things for the next 10 years and the people who don't attend will still have no incentive to head along.

It's the same reason why Watergate Productions were putting on John B. Keane plays for so many years. They guaranteed full houses so there was no incentive to change things around. Hence, you'll get the same sets of white hair at every show. But it looks like they are making a big attempt to change things around this year so fingers crossed.

Whatever KMS do will be a hit anyway. So it's only dependent on how motivated they are whether they want to do something that will really standout from the aforementioned blur of Oklahoma, Jesus Christ Superstar etc. year after year.

i completely agree that it would be brill to try something different, and next year we do promise to do so....sweeney.....fingers crossed.

the main reason it wasnt picked this year was because carrick got there before us and unfortunatly last year we both did fiddler too so "copyin" them(as they mite think) again would not be good for moral between the societies, especially cause we are quite close in distance.

also another reason we picked oliver was because if we want to try somethin more"risky" as you may put it....we need money in the account....you may not be aware of the cost that goes into a show and for the last 3 years i know our shows have cost from 40-50k!!! and unfortunetly we are still minus in the bank but in a good position then we have been for many years!so we reckoned one more sell out show will get us the money needed to go down a different route!

Well thanks again for looping us in the latest. I would like to see Sweeny or another show new to Kilkenny after Oliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 SabAlliance

Well thanks again for looping us in the latest. I would like to see Sweeny or another show new to Kilkenny after Oliver.
    One year on... What'll it be?

They did it in April. It was Oliver. They did it before so it certainly wasn't 'new' or 'fresh'.

It did however pack out houses and win a load of awards at AIMS last week. So expect to see the same shows for the next few years too. And why not? It's obviously working.

In my dreams:
    NAMA! The Musical

Starring
    Brendan Corcoran as "Lenny"
    Donal O"Brian as "Cowan"

Songs include
    "We're going backwards going forward!"
    and
    "We're turned so many corners we've been around the block!"

Great Chorus numbers include
    "Burn the bondholders!"
    and
    "Close the zombie banks bank, not the wards!"

sigh......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

^ This meets with my approval. Count me in.

Amazing. I'd pay money to see that.

Unlike most of the actual musicals that are put on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Yeah man. I was at My Fair lady in the Watergate back in the day (don't ask). They should have let everyone in for nothing and then charged them to get back out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 SabAlliance

Threadhead wrote: »
    They did it in April. It was Oliver. They did it before so it certainly wasn't 'new' or 'fresh'.

It did however pack out houses and win a load of awards at AIMS last week. So expect to see the same shows for the next few years too. And why not? It's obviously working.
    Yea I know that they did Oliver (who could have missed those posters everywhere) but look at the date this thread was made last year, they have probably picked next years show already so I want to see if they went with 'something different' as promised.

What's AIMS?

Advertisement