Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kilkenny musical society show choice 2010?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

I would love if they picked something different. But I reckon it'll be South Pacific/Calamity Jane/West Side Story or Guys and Dolls. The usual likes.

AIMS is the Amateur Irish Musical Society association and they give out awards and the likes for musicals. Say what we will about how unadventurous they are, but the standard of a KMS show is always very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

My Kingdom for The Blues Brothers...

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kkid

It will defo be something different this year folks. I am telling you all you will be surprised. Will keep ye all updated about the show choice and remember that new members are ALWAYS welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

One question; has it been done before in Kilkenny and if so was it over two decades ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kkid

No it was never done in Kilkenny! EVER!

• Advertisement

Was it ever done in Carrick On Suir and if so, are ye getting their set?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 SabAlliance

Threadhead wrote: »
    Was it ever done in Carrick On Suir and if so, are ye getting their set?
    If you're talking about Sweeney Todd, then I doubt they will do that because

a) I had a neice in that production and the set in Carrick On Suir was shockingly bad

b) Kilkenny always seem to have lots of numbers and there is not many chorus numbers to satisfy Kilkenny. I base this on the Carrick On Suir performance which had people sitting around the stage looking bored.

c) I spoke to last years director at a bar who told me it wasn't Sweeney Todd, and that whatever it is, it hasn't been done in KK before or in Ireland for a while. He said audiences might not be overly familier with it but "it will blow people away". He seemed deadly serious! Fair play to him.

I really hope it's the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Now that would be impressive.

I second your hope Threadhead, it would be a nice break from the trend.

However that one comment "blow them away" has me thinking it could be "Jihad, The Musical". Great numbers include "does my bomb look big in my burka?" and "Watch carefully, I'm only going to do this once!".

And as for people sitting around looking bored on stage, KMS has done this a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭KKMusicalSoc

Hi Everyone,

My name is Nicola Brennan (Chairperson of Kilkenny Musical Society) and I just wanted to inform you all of our show choice for 2011, which will be "The Hired Man". We think it will be a show with great local interest given the subject content, and seeing as it is a lesser-known show, might perhaps open up musical theatre to people who might like to see something new. The date for the show will be decided in the near future.

Every year we try and come up with a show that is appropriate for the society given our circumstances at the time. Given that we incur huge costs every year, and taking into account the economic climate of late, we deemed it necessary to do what may be deemed more "traditional" shows for the last number of years to decrease our debts. That is not to say, however, that these shows are not challenging, and they have helped us to develop KMS as a great amateur musical society. We have had a particularly successful year with our run of "Oliver!", for which we had packed houses & won a number of awards.

So that brings us to 2011- we still have a huge amount of fund-raising to do, but we feel we would like to take on a show that isn't widely known, although for those involved in musical theatre, "The Hired Man" is a show many people would love to sink their teeth into. We hope we can do it justice, and I have great confidence that we will.

If anyone would like info on the show, have a look here:
    http://www.howardgoodall.co.uk/musicals/hmtext.htm

And of course, we would LOVE to have new members on board (particularly men!) so anyone interested can PM me, or email kilkennymusicalsoc@yahoo.ie or join our facebook page:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=27560101492

KMS is a great place to meet people, particularly for those new to Kilkenny. We're currently working on a website so I'll post up the details here once it's done.

Sorry if this was a bit of a ramble, just thought this was a good platform to get info out to people. Thanks!

• Advertisement

I just read that link you posted about "the hired man", looks very promising.

Well done for making a brave choice, I'm looking forward to this already.

Great to see something new around here.

Best of luck with that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 !Pablo Fanquez!

Kkid wrote: »
    It will defo be something different this year folks. I am telling you all you will be surprised. Will keep ye all updated about the show choice and remember that new members are ALWAYS welcome.

RECESSION THE MUSICAL!
    DO IT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 sooshie

its going to be an amzing show this year with some great musical numbers...i cant wait to get started.....

Best of luck with that sooshie, do you have exact dates yet?

Fair play to ye, it's great to see something new opening up.

Hi again folks,

If anybody is interested in joining Kilkenny Musical Society or simply just coming along to see what we're about, there'll be drinks (and finger food I believe!) in Kyteler's Inn this Friday night, from about 7pm. Very casual, just a way of us kicking off the new season and I'm sure there'll be a bit of chat about The Hired Man and telling people what it's about. KMS nights are generally great fun so it should be a really enjoyable night.

If anyone's new to Kilkenny, it's a great way to meet new people. Or if you're a bit shy about getting involved, bring along a friend if you don't want to come alone- even they're not into musicals, if you'd be happier bringing along a sidekick, they're more than welcome!!!

We're really looking forward to getting the 2010/2011 season kicked off, and hope as many as possible will come along.

Oh and just in answer to a question someone asked earlier in the thread- "The Hired Man" will be staged in the Watergate Theatre from 4th-10th April 2011. We also have other events in the pipeline for the season prior to our main production, so watch this space for updates, or keep an eye on local press.

Any questions, PM me or email nicolabrennankk@hotmail.com.

Thanks!

Nicola (Chairperson KMS)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Potatofarl

Hi again folks,

If anybody is interested in joining Kilkenny Musical Society or simply just coming along to see what we're about, there'll be drinks (and finger food I believe!) in Kyteler's Inn this Friday night, from about 7pm. Very casual, just a way of us kicking off the new season and I'm sure there'll be a bit of chat about The Hired Man and telling people what it's about. KMS nights are generally great fun so it should be a really enjoyable night.

If anyone's new to Kilkenny, it's a great way to meet new people. Or if you're a bit shy about getting involved, bring along a friend if you don't want to come alone- even they're not into musicals, if you'd be happier bringing along a sidekick, they're more than welcome!!!

We're really looking forward to getting the 2010/2011 season kicked off, and hope as many as possible will come along.

I missed this as I was at a wedding but would love to get involved. Will there be more nights like this?

Potatofarl wrote: »
    I missed this as I was at a wedding but would love to get involved. Will there be more nights like this?

We're holding a Table Quiz in Langton's on Monday 18th of October at 8pm, so feel free to come along, all are welcome!! We hold a quiz every year and they're always good craic & have some pretty decent prizes too.

We will have more info by then on our plan for the year, audition dates etc, although keep an eye on this page also for any other announcements we make- feel free to join our facebook page as that is always kept up to date also: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=27560101492&ref=ts

And as always, you can email kilkennymusicalsoc@yahoo.com if you've any questions.

Thanks!

Nicola.

Kilkenny Musical Society host their annual Table Quiz on Monday 18th October at 8pm.

20 euro for a team of 4, and all are welcome.

This is always a good night and there will be a couple of prizes on offer as well of course!!

A huge amount of money needs to be raised every year in order for us to take to the stage, so please please please support us if you can.

Thanks!!

Kilkenny Musical Society host their annual Table Quiz on Monday 18th October at 8pm.

20 euro for a team of 4, and all are welcome.

This is always a good night and there will be a couple of prizes on offer as well of course!!

A huge amount of money needs to be raised every year in order for us to take to the stage, so please please please support us if you can.

Thanks!!

BUMP for this ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

BUMP for this ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks!!!

where is it?

Oh how stupid of me, sorry!!! :o:o:o

It's on in Langton's!

"DECADES" FANCY DRESS
    It's time for Kilkenny Musical Society to GET THIS PARTY STARTED for our 2010/2011 Season!!

Are you are 80s Disco Diva? Or a 60's Flower Child? Or a 20s Flapper???
    Dress up in the clothes of your chosen decade & dance the night away in Kyteler's!

Tickets cost 5 euro & are available at the door on the night (it will take place in the downstairs bar). All funds go towards the huge cost of staging our 2011 production of "The Hired Man". There will be finger food provided & it should be a great night. Spread the word!!!

148412_10150328528345305_511990304_15483704_6649136_n.jpg

Also, some other dates for your diary should you be interested in coming on board for "The Hired Man":

Monday 15th November- Information Evening re. "the Hired Man", 8pm in O'Faolain's
    Monday 22nd November- Workshop with Director David Heffernan, 8pm in O'Faolain's
    Wednsay 1st December- Auditions for "The Hired Man", 7pm in O'Faolain's.

PM me for more info!
    -Nicola.

Advertisement