Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interview with Extern. Examiner

Options
  • 14-05-2009 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

I've been selected to have an interview with the external examiner. The secretary tells me it's a 'compliment'.

Has anyone ever had such an interview?
    If so, what kind of questions do they ask? Is it to see if the projects were all your own work? Does it affect your grade?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

When I finished my degree (UCC, 2000) I was asked to meet the external examiner. It turned out that he met the top two from the class, the bottom two and some in between. I think that he just wanted to see the quality of graduate being produced and variance between.

I did graduate top of my class, but he was keenly interested in the project work that I had undertaken, turns out that he did similar research himself, so it was easy to chat to him about it.

It's nothing to do with your results, he just wants to see that the degree standard is being maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

pepsi1234 wrote: »
    I've been selected to have an interview with the external examiner. The secretary tells me it's a 'compliment'.

Examiner has a crush! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

dudara wrote: »
    It turned out that he met the top two from the class, the bottom two and some in between.

haha! there are 3 people in my course! it'll be interesting.
    in fact this year, there are 2 people in final year doing the degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

The interview is like an oral exam offered to people who have 1.1 or are on the borderline of achieving a higher grade, so people on a 2.1 close to a 1.1 etc.

It's a chance to bump up your grade and you can't lose marks so it's very helpfull. If you already have a 1.1 then it's a chance to get some interview experience.

I've heard mixed reviews about the questions the examiner can ask but they're generally easy and they don't try trip you up.

Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭pepsi1234

Just found out what the interview would entail. I doesn't affect the grade and only 3 people were chosen out of the class. What a joke...i've better things to be doing with my time.

I suppose it will be good interview practice though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement