Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

welding veiws

• 14-05-2009 11:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

hey guys i am thinking of starting welding i have been tolfd the the only way of learding is pratice so i am going to buy welder what is ur opinion on welders what have ye got what do ye recomend i have single phase ower only

help need
    bk1991

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭powerfarmer

It might be worthwhile to contact your local FAS training centre most of them hold welding courses at beginners up to advanced levels, covering just stick welding or a selection of the commonly used processes. Would be a good way to learn the basics and correct technique and try out different types of equipment.
    Courses are usually held over an evening a week for 6 to 10 weeks or more and are not too dear.

Then see about getting your own equipment and practice what you learnt, a basic fan cooled AC stick welding plant would do fine for practicing and general small fabrication and repairs . Keep away from the aldi and lidl stuff they arent here nor there and will only cause frustration with their low power and poor duty cycle . If you are serious about stick welding an oil cooled welder is a good investment for sustained heavy use. Or if small size and portability is important an Inverter type unit would be good they will give very good results and are nice and light and are getting cheaper all the time. i have a fan cooled telwin ac unit, a Miller ac unit ( very old but gives superb welds)and an EWM inverter Dc unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I've done a bit of welding on and off over the last 10 years or so - here are a few tips.

The earth lead - attached with a vicegrip or C clamp onto shiny grinded metal. Otherwise you will have poor conductivity. If you have light, jump-lead type connector take it off and buy a heavier one.

Welding mask - get one of those dimmer helmet types that you can see through when you are not welding. They are over the €100 mark but a pleasure to work with compared to those hand held constantly dark ones.

Single Phase, 220V - this is fine. I work with a 13 AMP fuse (keep a few handy though) and 2.5mm rods - no problem. If using extension leads always unwind fully as they tend to heat up.

Preparation - whatever you are welding, have it so that you are welding on the flat, from on top always. Try welding upside down and you'll know what I mean.

As said in the last post, get some proper training. I'm sorry I didn't. I did a lot of bird-s**t welding over the years.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭bk1991

hey guys i was think myself an inveror welder would be a good welder would it ?i have been told by many that i could pick it up without training i have a good few welding manuals ... could i pick it up easy ..the moast problems is the angles .striking and arc and holding it the position on stick from work being welded etc ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

bk1991 wrote: »
    hey guys i was think myself an inveror welder would be a good welder would it ?i have been told by many that i could pick it up without training i have a good few welding manuals ... could i pick it up easy ..the moast problems is the angles .striking and arc and holding it the position on stick from work being welded etc ...
    Once you have a steady hand it will be easy enough. I was thought basic welding in secondary school and down through the years I have made gates, trailers, land leveller, sheds etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭bk1991

cheers for the info guysat welder would ye recomend ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement