Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

M&S 125th anniversary 1c sale

• 15-05-2009 12:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭

M&S are selling lots of different items for 1c each from wednesday 20th (2 million items across uk & irl), max 5 items per person, not available in every store

and all the proceeds are going to the Marie Keating Foundation, so hopefully people will donate more than just the 5c

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tinkerbella23

awh yeah hopefully ppl do that sounds great:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Brilliant cheers for the heads up.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Anybody got any idea what items? Like cookies maybe? (Fingers crossed ;) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Just had a good look around the M&S website and I cannot find anything to do with this offer there.

Where did you see/hear this offer being announced OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

it supposed includes:

socks, knickers, scarves, cufflinks, mugs, tea-towels, leather passport holders, luggage tags, purses, sweets and beach toys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

They have a range of stuff, branded your the anniversary. Cakes, cookies, those tubs with chocolate flakes etc which ones will be for 1cent i dont know but im sure it will be out of that range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

Why didn't they make everything €1, and donate all the proceeds to the MK Foundation?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Soarer wrote: »
    Why didn't they make everything €1, and donate all the proceeds to the MK Foundation?:rolleyes:

Why don't they just keep everything full price and donate nothing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Adamcp898 wrote: »

I see what you did there, very clever - well done!

I agree with the previous poster, if it's for charity then why not charge something that will actually raise money?

the idea is that they started as a penny bazaar in 1884, so they're charging the price from back then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

the idea is that they started as a penny bazaar in 1884, so they're charging th eprice from back then

That's fair enough, but why not hold off on having an event that donates to the MK foundation until it's actually going to contribute something?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

OP, why would M&S do this in their irish stores?
    The article says the promotion will be in all 300 main stores. M&S have 600 UK and 285 international stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

John Mc how about you donate everything you have to the MK foundation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

I also don't see the logic in donating everything from the lowest-possible profit sale to charity, I mean, if they made the items €1 each and kept 50c for themselves and donated the other half, it would be 50 times more beneficial for the charity!
    I don't see the logic in combining a 1c sale with a charity donation...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

snubbleste wrote: »
    OP, why would M&S do this in their irish stores?
    The article says the promotion will be in all 300 main stores. M&S have 600 UK and 285 international stores.

Because the Marie Keating foundation is Irish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

Adamcp898 wrote: »

Superb point, well made!:rolleyes:

What I posted was a legitimate question. If they're reducing everything to 1c and donating it to charity, they could've just as easily reduced everything to €1 and donated all that instead. So you don't have to do the maths, that donation would be 100 times bigger than the original one.

In future, don't try to be smart...you're not good at it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tinkerbella23

I know wat ur saying about the €1 but i should hope that if ppl our buying stuff and getting them for 1c and its for a good cause that they would donate more.... so ppl it is for a good cause soo donate more:rolleyes:...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Superb point, well made!:rolleyes:

What I posted was a legitimate question. If they're reducing everything to 1c and donating it to charity, they could've just as easily reduced everything to €1 and donated all that instead. So you don't have to do the maths, that donation would be 100 times bigger than the original one.

Some people are never happy are they? Just love to complain........

I don't think any charity is going to complain when it's handed a cheque for €/£20,000 or a share of it so why are you?

M&S could easily have used the little money they will get from the sale of the items to fund the cost of promoting the event or put it against the loss they'll make from selling the items so cheap in the first place but instead they've decided since they're going to lose money anyway they'll donate the money they do make to charity.

The fact of the matter remains if they were celebrating their anniversary and not making any charitable donation people wouldn't be complaining but since they are people have made up their mind that it's not enough.

Now back on topic...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 univibe

M&S already do a lot of Charity Work with The Maria Keating Fund and others, so its more of a nostalgic promotion and raises Breast Cancer awareness which is a good thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭EasyBoy1974

HA HA HA - nearly choked on my coffee reading this :D
    Not taking sides - i just enjoyed the put down!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

it supposed includes:

socks, knickers, scarves, cufflinks, mugs, tea-towels, leather passport holders, luggage tags, purses, sweets and beach toys

Sounds good Groutchy, if you have any other details on the offer as stock comes in let us know :)
    Reckon I might have to wear my rugby gear down to this one for the inevitable scrum :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

RATM wrote: »
    Sounds good Groutchy, if you have any other details on the offer as stock comes in let us know :)
    Reckon I might have to wear my rugby gear down to this one for the inevitable scrum :pac:

LOL:D

Honestly people will be disappointed.Some people have been misled into thinking everything in store is 1c. They'll be well disappointed when they see frisbee's and cufflinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

The more I see, the more I think it wont be worth the effort or the potential bruises.

Here's some of the stuff with the UK RRP. All will be available for 1p/1c.

Only five different items per customer.

Polkadot scarf (st£12), Jewellery set (st£9.50), Leather look purse (st£4), Leopard print knickers (£3), Silk feel tie (st£9.50), Commerative M&S 125 cufflinks (£9.50)

Frisbee, beachball, socks, retro sweets & tea also apparently available.

Earlybirds queuing before opening will get peel and reveal tickets. Regional 'jackpots' to be won.

fdevine wrote: »
    The more I see, the more I think it wont be worth the effort or the potential bruises.

Here's some of the stuff with the UK RRP. All will be available for 1p/1c.

Only five different items per customer.

Polkadot scarf (st£12), Jewellery set (st£9.50), Leather look purse (st£4), Leopard print knickers (£3), Silk feel tie (st£9.50), Commerative M&S 125 cufflinks (£9.50)

Frisbee, beachball, socks, retro sweets & tea also apparently available.

Earlybirds queuing before opening will get peel and reveal tickets. Regional 'jackpots' to be won.

I personally don't really need any of those items but for 1c each I'll be stocking up on a few of them. You know why? Although they are useless to me individually collectively they'll make for some great stocking fillers at Xmas. And there's no way you'll be getting 5 Xmas stocking fillers for 5c come October :pac:
    Roll on tomorrow morning !
    *gets shin guards and hurling helmet from the cupboard*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

RATM wrote: »
    I personally don't really need any of those items but for 1c each I'll be stocking up on a few of them. You know why? Although they are useless to me individually collectively they'll make for some great stocking fillers at Xmas. And there's no way you'll be getting 5 Xmas stocking fillers for 5c come October :pac:
    Roll on tomorrow morning !
    *gets shin guards and hurling helmet from the cupboard*

Thank Christ I don't know you!
    ;)

mathie wrote: »
    Thank Christ I don't know you!
    ;)

Or my Xmas stocking fillers :D

At least 6 of the 20 items have "M&S 125 Anniversary" on them as well, which will make you look like Scrooges tighter brother when Christmas does come. :D

Mug, socks, teatowel, cufflinks, beachball, frisbee all have the above logo on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

fdevine wrote: »
    At least 6 of the 20 items have "M&S 125 Anniversary" on them as well, which will make you look like Scrooges tighter brother when Christmas does come. :D

Mug, socks, teatowel, cufflinks, beachball, frisbee all have the above logo on them.

Repackaging FTW :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭legend73

M&S are selling lots of different items for 1c each from wednesday 20th (2 million items across uk & irl), max 5 items per person, not available in every store

and all the proceeds are going to the Marie Keating Foundation, so hopefully people will donate more than just the 5c

2 million items /100 = €20,000 donation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

will this be on in Blanch tomorrow does anyone know??

Apparently it's all their Irish stores, so AFAIK yes Blanchardstown is included.

apparently excludes all "simply food" stores, so wouldn't be so sure about the likes of naas, dun laoighre & clarion quay

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Saucey-Susie

Whoever goes today can they let us know what its like, im heading down at lunch time. already seen loads of people with bags of stuff!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

The line at Liffey Valley is absolutely mental, I took one look, decided it wasn't worth it and went home. Do these people know what's being sold for 1c? I heard some woman saying it was brilliant because she could get dinners for the week for next to nothing :confused:

really? do people actually think everything is 1cent in store?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Leaderbored

phasers wrote: »
    The line at Liffey Valley is absolutely mental, I took one look, decided it wasn't worth it and went home. Do these people know what's being sold for 1c? I heard some woman saying it was brilliant because she could get dinners for the week for next to nothing :confused:

Large queues in the Whitewater SC in Co Kildare, but the items on 1c sale are simply the stuff advertised.

Unless she was referring to the 3 for 2 meal deals in the store itself, but there are no more of them than usual, and they're obviously unconnected to the 1c offer, as there is no standard food included in the 1c penny bazaar day.
    The only way that woman is going to feed her kids for a week for next to nothing is if she serves them up the 1c cans of Ginger beer and 1c packets of olde fashioned sweets 3 times a day (which, in fairness, wouldn't surprise me nowadays.)

As to the stuff itself: The passport holder is natty, lovely smell of leather, & the mugs are cute.The socks are well, just socks, but are grand for a spare pair for a penny. Everything's well branded as M&S 125 anniversary stock though, so if you're thinking of stocking up on gifts, you'd want to be sure that your family definitely have their heads in the sand, cos there'll be no disguising where you bought it & how much it cost.

(fair few people chucking extra fivers & euro coins into the charity buckets too.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Large queues in the Whitewater SC in Co Kildare, but the items on 1c sale are simply the stuff advertised.

Unless she was referring to the 3 for 2 meal deals in the store itself, but there are no more of them than usual, and they're obviously unconnected to the 1c offer, as there is no standard food included in the 1c penny bazaar day.
    The only way that woman is going to feed her kids for a week for next to nothing is if she serves them up the 1c cans of Ginger beer and 1c packets of olde fashioned sweets 3 times a day (which, in fairness, wouldn't surprise me nowadays.)

As to the stuff itself: The passport holder is natty, lovely smell of leather, & the mugs are cute.The socks are well, just socks, but are grand for a spare pair for a penny. Everything's well branded as M&S 125 anniversary stock though, so if you're thinking of stocking up on gifts, you'd want to be sure that your family definitely have their heads in the sand, cos there'll be no disguising where you bought it & how much it cost.

(fair few people chucking extra fivers & euro coins into the charity buckets too.)
    Granted all for a good cause and fair play to them for doing it, but seriously would you be arsed q-ing for 45 mins to buy any of the above tat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Get the sowing machine out! heh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Some interesting takes on all this from Twitter (Souce: TheBitterWallet.com):
    [samanthabandak] Walked past M&S just before 8am this morning - there were already about 100 people queuing up for the Penny Bazaar!

[FranieFrouFrou] wonders if people queuing realise that the Penny Bazaar at M&S only applies to a few select items, pack of knickers, bag of sweets etc

[iangclark] After 45min got to the front of M&S Penny Bazaar queue - worth it in the end. Nearly gave up…but waited.

[BlackSheepWales]Whatever u do don’t go to the M&S 125 yrs penny bazaar sale. There’s nothing worth having unless u want a frizzbe or a can of ginger beer.

[weecuppatea] There’s a queue the length of Glassford St waiting for M&S to open for their penny bazaar promo, like a blue-rinsed dawn of the dead

[maschaa] en waarom is er geen M&S penny bazaar in Nederland?! Alle kleding van M&S voor 1 penny, zal wel een gekkenhuis zijn daar!

[katelv] Is the M&S Penny Bazaar everywhere? I’m in Doncaster today. There’s no way I’m fighting Doncastrian women.

[TimeWasting] Sent my husband to M&S to investigate the penny bazaar. He wasn’t impressed and came back with nothing.

[EmmaLoodle] Penny Bazaar’s usually are just random stuff. Remember… It’s not just a garage sale, it’s an M&S garage sale!

[JonnyMackay] went to M&S and couldn’t find any evidence of a penny bazaar. except for the sign on the door advertising the event.

[mowallywong] It’s hardly an M&S penny bazaar when its starts outside New look and you have to sacrifice a days wage to queue

[twinklyspangle] the M&S penny bazaar was a load of crap - just a small selection of rubbish for a penny and a HUGE queue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

the queue in Cork at nine this morning.

3547760435_f619a1074c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

yeah.... im starting to wonder about it myself now :S

Though there was no queue outside the one at jervis.

May take alook on the way home...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 debfarr

just popped down to the M&S in blanch at lunchtime, only to find a sign saying 1p bazzar now over for today...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

deRanged wrote: »
    the queue in Cork at nine this morning.

3547760435_f619a1074c.jpg

Are those people for real??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

They sure want their ginger ale :)

I was just in the blackrock branch at lunch time. They had ginger beer and packs of rosy apple sweets. The sign had pictures of things like scarves, knickers, cufflinks - things that are worth paying a penny for!

The charity that they were collecting for was Blackrock Hospice so maybe it's different in each store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Ardent wrote: »
    Obviously real Cork republicans who know a bargain when they see one. Joke was on them when they got to the top of the Q though :D

Grafton Street Dublin now sold out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Ardent wrote: »

No. This is the Matrix.

Henry St. branch sold out.

the henry st branch said they have stock to sell between 9am and 10am tomorrow and friday too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Reminds me of the news story in the US that the day after the Superbowl, a popular fast food chain were offering free breakfasts.

PEOPLE TOOK THE DAY OFF WORK!!

I kid you not!

......like a blue-rinsed dawn of the dead.....

from Basquilles post re tweets on the subject.

I nearly choked on my lunch..:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement