Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enda Kenny - Right man for Taoiseach?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

r0nanf wrote: »
    It is outrageous how people can decide that someone is not suitable before seeing them work. As per previous posts, he has united a party that was falling apart at the seams and has made good front bench postings. He could turn out to be a turd, but you cannot decide that just because you don't like the cut of him or whatever your 'scale of ability' is based on.

If you're going to talk about "credibility" apparently Cowen had plenty of that when Bertie passed on the torch. I am not a FG supporter, but I think the constant flittering of Kenny is senseless. He may not dole out the soundbites like Rabbitte did, or have the everyman bullsh*t mask of Bertie, or the bullishness of Cowen, but he has succesfully managed FG. For me that's worth a lot more.
    If you were an employer you wouldn't employ someone just on the off-chance that they might be good. You go on their track-record.

Kenny has had many years now to assert his credibility and he's done nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Marshy wrote: »
    FG definitely don't owe their current popularity to him, most of the electorate are turning their back on FF which was bound to happen and for many FG are the only other party capable of taking over. If anything they'd have a bigger lead without Enda, the fact he's lagging behind their figure in the polls says it all imo.

Thats speculation that they would have a higher rating if someone else was in charge of the party.

What is certain is a party that appeared finished after the 2002 election are now in a position that a lot of commentators and myself included thought they would never get to again. To say that FG owe that to FF demise alone is definitely wrong as there are a fair few other choices of party out there who could and should have taken advantage of the situation. Eamon Gilmore has the highest rating of any of the leaders in the latest poll yet Labours support has also slipped 4% in that same poll.

The person in charge during this rebuilding has been Enda Kenny so I think it is quite pathetic to say he is not entitled to lead the party into the next general election. For people to say he is untrustworthy or doesn't inspire confidence and other such baseless criticism without being tested especially given the so called leadership we have been subjected to in 20 years of FF government is rich and really quite sad showing the sheep like mentality that some have in this country.

Sean_K wrote: »
    Kenny is a worker, not a leader. Top bloke, but not someone you'll want to listen to on TV.

So your basis on whether someone is a good leader is whether they appear "good" on TV. Christ lets go the whole hog and have a show like maybe "Big Leader" where we lock them all in a house for a month and vote on whose the winner by phone poll :rolleyes:

gandalf wrote: »
    Thats speculation that they would have a higher rating if someone else was in charge of the party.

What is certain is a party that appeared finished after the 2002 election are now in a position that a lot of commentators and myself included thought they would never get to again. To say that FG owe that to FF demise alone is definitely wrong as there are a fair few other choices of party out there who could and should have taken advantage of the situation. Eamon Gilmore has the highest rating of any of the leaders in the latest poll yet Labours support has also slipped 4% in that same poll.
    Come on now, I don't think anyone's under any illusions that we're anything more than a two-party system. It's either one or the other along with whoever they have to drag in to make up numbers.
    The person in charge during this rebuilding has been Enda Kenny so I think it is quite pathetic to say he is not entitled to lead the party into the next general election. For people to say he is untrustworthy or doesn't inspire confidence and other such baseless criticism without being tested especially given the so called leadership we have been subjected to in 20 years of FF government is rich and really quite sad showing the sheep like mentality that some have in this country
    Kenny is a back-office man. No-one's saying he's not 'entitled' to lead the party into an election (whatever that means) but he will not make a good taoiseach. Like it or not the taoiseach is the face of the party. They need to perform on the spot. They need to have people on their side.

So your basis on whether someone is a good leader is whether they appear "good" on TV. Christ lets go the whole hog and have a show like maybe "Big Leader" where we lock them all in a house for a month and vote on whose the winner by phone poll :rolleyes:

I take it you're being facetious or do you not understand what it means to speak figuratively?

• Advertisement

I take it you're being facetious or do you not understand what it means to speak figuratively?

Of course I was however I would love to hear what you mean when you say he won't make a good leader/taoiseach? All I have seen from you is that appearances are all that seems to matter in this case. Care to elaborate on what makes a good Taoiseach from your point of view?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Of course I was however I would love to hear what you mean when you say he won't make a good leader/taoiseach? All I have seen from you is that appearances are all that seems to matter in this case. Care to elaborate on what makes a good Taoiseach from your point of view?

I suppose if Enda was a thief like the present bunch in the FF party, people would nearly have more support for him. Not because he is an honest politician. Oh i hear someone on here saying "oh he wouldnt look good on TV" All of a sudden its a beauty contest. Cop on and face the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Well obviously I can't say it'd be higher for sure(and I didn't either), it'd just be very probable given the doubts people have over him.
    The person in charge during this rebuilding has been Enda Kenny so I think it is quite pathetic to say he is not entitled to lead the party into the next general election. For people to say he is untrustworthy or doesn't inspire confidence and other such baseless criticism without being tested especially given the so called leadership we have been subjected to in 20 years of FF government is rich and really quite sad showing the sheep like mentality that some have in this country
    Its hardly baseless criticism. He's been a TD for 34 years so I'd have thought thats more than enough of a backround to judge him on.

And can we please stop comparing him to FF here, they're totally irrelevant to this discussion. Kenny's either ready to step up to the mark or he isn't. It shouldn't be a question of Enda being an ok Taoiseach in comparison to someone who's messed things up before him.

And can we please stop comparing him to FF here, they're totally irrelevant to this discussion. Kenny's either eady to step up to the mark or he isn't. It shouldn't be a question of Enda being a ok Taoiseach in comparison to someone who's messed things up before him.

Well I am just using the party thats been in Government for 20 of the last 22 years as a benchmark of what is expected of a Taoiseach. Judging by them Enda is more than capable of doing the job and comparing to some with a lot more honesty as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭unwyse

enda was a politicion when i started working back in the seventies,hes a teacher by profession and hes done fcuk all in the interim period other than line his pockets like all the other cnuts. the point being, is that old hacks like him and for that matter *richard bruton[a millionaire like his brother] are well past their sell by date. its time for the likes of george lee and his supporters,to take the lead and drag this fcuked up country forward in the correct fashion and try to right the wrongs. fianna gael will do NOTHING if the current leadership is not displaced, and sooner rather than later. these are only local elections people, the real deal is coming when we as a people can get rid of ALL the also rans and elect real politicions who have the countrys interest at heart, not just their bank balances.Q; for what died the sons of roisin? WAS IT GREED.* bruton may be needed to breach the gap until such time as he can be safely be gotten rid of as part of the old guard.:mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement

Well I am just using the party thats been in Government for 20 of the last 22 years as a benchmark of what is expected of a Taoiseach. Judging by them Enda is more than capable of doing the job and comparing to some with a lot more honesty as well.
    Well lets not judge all the FF Taoisigh as a collective.

Its a separate debate but despite the controversies that linger with Bertie, I'd much rather trust him to sort difficult issues out than Enda.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Its a separate debate but despite the controversies that linger with Bertie, I'd much rather trust him to sort difficult issues out than Enda.

Well that's pretty much what's wrong with politics in this country. If it okay for the man at the top to be dishonest then it's okay for everyone. Kenny isn't charismatic but at least as far as we know he's honest, I'd rather Bruton but I'll happily take Kenny. Especially after the bunch of gougers we have now.

If we don't expect any honesty from our politicians we'll get exactly what we deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That's ridiculous.

Kenny is incompetent in his own right, it's nothing to do with the present government. Saying you don't like Kenny isn't a nod of support for FF.
    Kenny is a worker, not a leader. Top bloke, but not someone you'll want to listen to on TV.

It's time FG realised that he's holding them back.

Now what does all that mean? He is or he isn't incompetent. Pulling a party back from a low of 32 seats to 51 seats is the kind of incompetence I'd love to have. The party, even with him is now heading for the high 30s. Either way neither he nor any other leader need to pander to the cult of personality, which is quite obviously informed by the recent American election. So if he's that incompetent, throw up some real examples for not voting for FG. If it's all about TV then let's get a reality show going to "Pick the Taoiseach" from the usual gaggle of Z list personalities.

unwyse wrote: »
    enda was a politicion when i started working back in the seventies,hes a teacher by profession and hes done fcuk all in the interim period other than line his pockets like all the other cnuts. the point being, is that old hacks like him and for that matter *richard bruton[a millionaire like his brother] are well past their sell by date. its time for the likes of george lee and his supporters,to take the lead and drag this fcuked up country forward in the correct fashion and try to right the wrongs. fianna gael will do NOTHING if the current leadership is not displaced, and sooner rather than later. these are only local elections people, the real deal is coming when we as a people can get rid of ALL the also rans and elect real politicions who have the countrys interest at heart, not just their bank balances.Q; for what died the sons of roisin? WAS IT GREED.* bruton may be needed to breach the gap until such time as he can be safely be gotten rid of as part of the old guard.:mad::mad::mad:

Thank you for sharing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Don't like Enda Kenny at all. He seems to spend all his efforts on negativity and little on offering solutions. Does not inspire, and is without charisma, it seems to me, to anyone outside Mayo.

TBH, I think he is the luckiest man in politics having not won the last GE.

Does he still get teacher's salary for his half hour 34 years ago that he spent in the classroom?

Are we living in the same country? Enda Kenny and FG seem to be the only party that are offering solutions. Need a reminder of two of their latest? Health Service Reform and Education Tax System. Two big problems in Ireland, which they are happy to be negative about BUT have came up with their own plan of action. Isn't that what an opposition party should do? The party which is all negative with no plans is Labour. Refuse to talk about plans, budget, finance reform etc. Dodge the bullet very much like dodge the bullet with going into power with Labour.

That's right, Fine Gael under the leadership of Enda Kenny have actually came up with what THEY THINK is the right plan of action for this country's future. They are the ONLY PARTY to do this so far.
    He has no credibility as leader of FG. And I'm obviously not alone in thinking that, only 1 in 3 people satisfied with him. That means there's a substantial enough number of FG supporters unhappy with him too.

Well, what would you expect? We had Bertie Ahern at the steering wheel of this country for years who was a "bundle of joy" and full of chat, smiles and a professional in front of the cameras. He wasn't a bad leader, it has to be said, in terms of keeping his party together and being good in front of cameras. It turned out he wasn't the best leader for the country. He gave us Cowen as a going away present.

Across the water we have Barrack Obama. A young, vibrant, new leader wanting to bring big change to his country. Very like what Enda Kenny wants to do, reverse and fix problems created by FF (you know, Obama wanting to fix problems caused by the older government).

Kenny has everything that Obama has, but the flexibility in front of the camera. That's the only area I see lacking in Enda Kenny, and to be honest, I couldn't care less if he looks like an eejit in front of the camera. What I want from a leader is someone who can keep his party in line, firmly, resolve any issues and bring together a party full of change and excellent ideas. That's what Kenny has done with his party. Cowen cant seem to control FF at all and the whole system is falling all around him. He selected a poor team and the country doesn't look like its going anywhere soon under his leadership.
    Did anyone expect the economy to disintegrate as quickly as it did? Some may claim to have foreseen it but even George Lee or David McW wouldn't pretend to have predicted everything that has happened. My point is that Cowen came in at a time when the economy was still functioning ok, so no I didn't see it coming. Don't get me wrong he's been a poor leader but its unfair to portion all the blame on him. Look at other countries in a similar boat to us now.

Ah the FF party line in action. Nobody expected it to be bad, sure, but lets remember that it IS this bad because of the FF government. Id say Bertie left because he had a fair idea what was coming. Cowen was in finance at the time. So things are bad pretty much everywhere but we are one of a very small few who are loyally screwed thanks to our government. Even so, putting all that aside and forgiving them with a pat on the back, there not looking like they can get us out of the problem. Disaster budget after disaster budget. Unfair cut backs and taxes.

We know things have to be tough, but the current government cant seem to grasp how to do this and how to do it fairly.
    I could see Enda doing at least as bad a job tbh, I'd much rather have someone like Bruton at the helm.

How could he be any worse? All because he isn't good in front of a camera, you assume that means he is crap at everything else despite pulling his party from deaths doors and creating an excellent team, keeping them in line and offering real change (I mean actually offering change, not just blabbering on about it but not offering anything).. Seems to do that all very well, which Cowen cant. Isn't that what a leader SHOULD be doing? Forgive him for not being talented in every area.
    That's ridiculous.

Kenny is incompetent in his own right, it's nothing to do with the present government. Saying you don't like Kenny isn't a nod of support for FF.

It's time FG realised that he's holding them back.

FG are aware people are unhappy, but believe in him. They know he is a very good leader and are willing to accept he isn't that good in front of the camera. You cant have it all sometimes. He is much more then a office worker and a man behind the scenes. He offers very strong leadership skills and change, which is exactly what the public needs. He just isn't good in front of a camera, alas.

When you meet him in person, he is completely different as many have said. So that covers what other world leaders will/have thought about him.

Its time the people of Ireland realised what a leadership is all about.
    If you were an employer you wouldn't employ someone just on the off-chance that they might be good. You go on their track-record.

Kenny has had many years now to assert his credibility and he's done nothing.

Which Kenny are we talking about? It cant be Enda Kenny of FG, because he seems to have excellent credibility since becoming leader at least.

Cant see Bertie willing to take tough decessions though.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bookerboy

Give Enda a chance at the job.Can't be as bad as the fool we have at the moment.James Reily as minister for health also sounds like a major improvement aswell.
    There are some good people in FG so lets vote them in.

meglome wrote: »
    Well that's pretty much what's wrong with politics in this country. If it okay for the man at the top to be dishonest then it's okay for everyone. Kenny isn't charismatic but at least as far as we know he's honest, I'd rather Bruton but I'll happily take Kenny. Especially after the bunch of gougers we have now.
    I don't want to start talking about Bertie and going off topic, but were Bertie's supposed antics really that detrimental to the country as a whole? Thats not to say I condone what he's accused of but I for one wouldn't dismiss him simply as a dishonest Taoiseach and ignore his important part in such a successful time in this country.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

bookerboy wrote: »
    Give Enda a chance at the job.

Thats one thing. Im very happy with how Kenny has lead his party and how he has an excellent team. If he got into government and was terrible (excl. not being great on TV) you will find the party very quick to boot him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

I don't want to start talking about Bertie and going off topic, but were Bertie's supposed antics really that detrimental to the country as a whole? Thats not to say I condone what he's accused of but I for one wouldn't dismiss him simply as a dishonest Taoiseach and ignore his important part in such a successful time in this country.

berites biggest crime was his slavery to unions although slavery might not be the right word , he did get payback via three elections

Yes they were very detrimental. That's the point I'm making once you have a gouger at the top that filters all the way down. He started steering the ship in the right direction then quickly forgot which direction the ship was meant to go in which lead us here. We get what we deserve and until we change it'll never get better. It's a terrible shame that we don't seem to get it.

Sully wrote: »
    Kenny has everything that Obama has, but the flexibility in front of the camera. That's the only area I see lacking in Enda Kenny, and to be honest, I couldn't care less if he looks like an eejit in front of the camera. What I want from a leader is someone who can keep his party in line, firmly, resolve any issues and bring together a party full of change and excellent ideas. That's what Kenny has done with his party.
    But the bottom line is FG could basically be saying anything (within reason) and they'd still be popular at the moment. Thats no exaggeration, there are 2 main parties in the country who are pretty much the same party (centre right etc.). Labour are growing but they still will have no chance of getting into power by themselves.

FG's problems after 2002 were greatly over-stated imo, they've always had a substantial enough base of support. Ok Enda has supposedly brought them together again but by the same token he also failed to get FG into power in 2007 when up until the last week they had the initiative.

Also I haven't seen much evidence of these excellent ideas coming from them like you suggest. Its mostly been just knocking everything the government do, rightly or wrongly.
    How could he be any worse? All because he isn't good in front of a camera, you assume that means he is crap at everything else despite pulling his party from deaths doors and creating an excellent team, keeping them in line and offering real change (I mean actually offering change, not just blabbering on about it but not offering anything).. Seems to do that all very well, which Cowen cant. Isn't that what a leader SHOULD be doing? Forgive him for not being talented in every area.
    That was a slight exaggeration, but I'd be very surprised to see him bring about much of an improvement if any.

You call his team excellent, but apart from a few names I'd see them as mostly unproven. And no I have heard very few decent ideas from them.

Just to clarify, its not just about his shortcomings in front of a camera. Thats a very facile way of looking at it. Its his failure to have a clear presence or stature as head of FG, be that through people seeing him on telly as unimpressive or just not impacting on people generally by other means.

• Advertisement

Yes they were very detrimental. That's the point I'm making once you have a gouger at the top that filters all the way down.
    Are you suggesting the bankers acted like they did because of Bertie? I don't think there's any way of proving that.

Yes they were very detrimental. That's the point I'm making once you have a gouger at the top that filters all the way down. He started steering the ship in the right direction then quickly forgot which direction the ship was meant to go in which lead us here. We get what we deserve and until we change it'll never get better. It's a terrible shame that we don't seem to get it.
    That's just silly.

Bankers and traders are always looking for ways to beat the market. Margins keep getting wiped by competition so they have to keep adapting. This is what caused the financial crisis. Greed. Same here, in the City of London and in the US. Absolutely nothing to do with Bertie. Ireland is not unique in crisis. London has it worse, the US has it worse. Their banks were up to their necks in it since it was their banks that were on the cutting edge of the products in question. Was Bertie the cause of their woes?

It could equally be argued that because of Bertie we had a more prudent financial climate and weren't burned as bad.

/protip: also a silly argument.

Are you suggesting the bankers acted like they did because of Bertie? I don't think there's any way of proving that.
    That's just silly.

Bankers and traders are always looking for ways to beat the market. Margins keep getting wiped by competition so they have to keep adapting. This is what caused the financial crisis. Greed. Same here, in the City of London and in the US. Absolutely nothing to do with Bertie. Ireland is not unique in crisis. London has it worse, the US has it worse. Their banks were up to their necks in it since it was their banks that were on the cutting edge of the products in question. Was Bertie the cause of their woes?

It could equally be argued that because of Bertie we had a more prudent financial climate and weren't burned as bad.

I'm not saying that at all. We were heading for a fall because the fundamentals of the economy were bad. They started out good but we lost our way pretty quickly. The global crises just made this worse but either way we had some serious problems once the bust eventually came. We voted, continually, for a government that were doing some very stupid and dangerous things with the economy but most of us didn't want to hear that never mind discuss it. It took falling to our knees for people to accept what was happening.

We voted for this, all of us and we got what we deserved. But judging from this thread we haven't learned very much. After the dodgy leadership, the dodgy dealings, the ****-ups and the cover-ups we're not sure we want Enda Kenny as Taoiseach. A ****ing block of used lard would have be better than what we've just had. I'd rather Bruton but some honesty will be very refreshing indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Well lets not judge all the FF Taoisigh as a collective.

Ah marshy a closet bertie fan and ffer are we. ?
    You are letting your objective veil slip :rolleyes:

QED FF and bertie fan.

And again.
    We have problems without the banks, our unemployment is not due to the banks antics. It is due to government allowing our economy become the one trick pony of construciton and over extending public spending based on transaction taxes from that unsustainable economy.
    That's just silly.

/protip: also a silly argument.

Ah it is all the world wide economic collapse that has resulted in our housing bubble fianlly running out of steam. Our housing market had already slowed before the real credit crisis struck.
    Ig uess it had nothing to do with over supply, and unsustainable prices :rolleyes:

The fact that our public spending had increased so much and our revenues were dependent on the taxes from this particular non sustainable sector i.e. construciton, is all the fault of the collapse of the world economy as well.

I see you are towing the ff party line.
    It is a worldwide problem, nothing to do with ff and their tax breaks for developers and investors and the great celtic tiger economy we built was based on us buying overpriced hosues in the ars*hole of nowhere.

Take the banks out of the equation and we have massive unemployment, we have huge fallen tax revenues and on the other side we have huge public sector spending.
    Whose fault is that ?

It is nice to see FF are continuing to concentrate on trying to sow seeds of doubt in the minds of people that Enda Kenny is a failure.

I guess they are tired of looking at their own failures, so they are trying to find ones in other parties.

I am not allowed discuss …

We voted for this, all of us and we got what we deserved. But judging from this thread we haven't learned very much. After the dodgy leadership, the dodgy dealings, the ****-ups and the cover-ups we're not sure we want Enda Kenny as Taoiseach. A ****ing block of used lard would have be better than what we've just had. I'd rather Bruton but some honesty will be very refreshing indeed.
    I hate to have to repeat myself but the question isn't if Enda Kenny would be a better Taoiseach than we've just had. Its a question if he's the right man for the job, ie. the best candidate.
    jmayo wrote: »
    You are letting your objective veil slip :rolleyes:.
    QED FF and bertie fan.
    Lol, if only I was, might've got a slice of all these supposed backhanders back when Bertie was around.

I'm not attached to any party.

I'd like if we could keep FF and the reasons that led to the recession out of the discussion here. They're not relevant to a discussion about Enda Kenny's credentials as possible Taoiseach.

We have problems without the banks, our unemployment is not due to the banks antics.
    Just to clarify this, the problems with the banks are actually contributing greatly to the growing unemployment. Just take the common scenario of viable smaller businesses who cannot get credit these days because the banks aren't giving it anymore.

But the bottom line is FG could basically be saying anything (within reason) and they'd still be popular at the moment. Thats no exaggeration, there are 2 main parties in the country who are pretty much the same party (centre right etc.). Labour are growing but they still will have no chance of getting into power by themselves.

Labour are doing a hell of a lot more talking pro and non negative about how they would sort the ****e out. They are also jumping on every single thing that is upsetting people and trying to support them, even when the people are wrong. Fine Gael aren't. Whos the party dropping in support?

Fine Gael are popular, not because they are the main opposition party and a lot of people dislike FF, but because overall people have been growing to like the party over the last few years. They have offered credible policy's. They have offered their solutions to how they would deal with the problems we face. If you read threads here alone, you will see more people being converted not because they dislike FF but because they like what FG have to offer. People have got so pissed off with the government (taking medial cards from the elderly, for example) in the last year that they looked for other party's to lead the government - thats shared out with FG and Labour.
    FG's problems after 2002 were greatly over-stated imo, they've always had a substantial enough base of support. Ok Enda has supposedly brought them together again but by the same token he also failed to get FG into power in 2007 when up until the last week they had the initiative.

Its very hard to beat down an extremely popular party with a very strong vote. The Bertie factory played a huge factor. I think FG done very well in the circumstances and were very close to clinching a victory. But the greens jumped into bed with FF to save the day and FG were left out in the cold. Giving them another few years to really build up their momentum and capitalise on their success.
    Also I haven't seen much evidence of these excellent ideas coming from them like you suggest. Its mostly been just knocking everything the government do, rightly or wrongly.

I gave two examples. Everybody knows it, its been said here and on TV, that FG are actually producing policy's and documents on top of any knocking they do. FG have welcomed different initiatives by the government where Labour have knocked. I think you are getting mixed up with Labour - constantly knocking the government and never offering anything in return.
    That was a slight exaggeration, but I'd be very surprised to see him bring about much of an improvement if any.

You call his team excellent, but apart from a few names I'd see them as mostly unproven. And no I have heard very few decent ideas from them.

Your anti-FG and not Kenny so. Most people think the party is great but are hard pushed to vote because of Kenny. You seem to have a mental block when it comes to FG and even if they offered the world you would say they didn't. This topic is about Kenny and really has no room for people who dislike the party overall. Why don't you do what you ask others and leave the conversation if your not going to stick to the topic? You cant debate reasonably if you dislike the FG party so much. This topic is about Kenny damaging the party by not being a possible decent leader and shouldn't be used as people who hate the party to jump in and have a go.
    Just to clarify, its not just about his shortcomings in front of a camera. Thats a very facile way of looking at it. Its his failure to have a clear presence or stature as head of FG, be that through people seeing him on telly as unimpressive or just not impacting on people generally by other means.

From what I read on Boards, VBrown and others, its very much to do with the camera. He is acknowledged to have a strong bench and policy - which is why people want Kenny out and replaced with Bruton. Giving them confidence to vote FG because they have a decent leader along with a great bench.

You are letting your objective veil slip :rolleyes:

QED FF and bertie fan.

And again.
    We have problems without the banks, our unemployment is not due to the banks antics. It is due to government allowing our economy become the one trick pony of construciton and over extending public spending based on transaction taxes from that unsustainable economy.

Ah it is all the world wide economic collapse that has resulted in our housing bubble fianlly running out of steam. Our housing market had already slowed before the real credit crisis struck.
    Ig uess it had nothing to do with over supply, and unsustainable prices :rolleyes:

The fact that our public spending had increased so much and our revenues were dependent on the taxes from this particular non sustainable sector i.e. construciton, is all the fault of the collapse of the world economy as well.

I see you are towing the ff party line.
    It is a worldwide problem, nothing to do with ff and their tax breaks for developers and investors and the great celtic tiger economy we built was based on us buying overpriced hosues in the ars*hole of nowhere.

Take the banks out of the equation and we have massive unemployment, we have huge fallen tax revenues and on the other side we have huge public sector spending.
    Whose fault is that ?

It is nice to see FF are continuing to concentrate on trying to sow seeds of doubt in the minds of people that Enda Kenny is a failure.

I guess they are tired of looking at their own failures, so they are trying to find ones in other parties.

Stop trying to derail the thread.

Seemingly you are incapable of objective analysis. One doesn't have to be a fan of something to observe and recognise when they're doing something right.

This thread is about Enda Kenny.

FF aren't sowing any seeds of doubt. Listen to him for 5 minutes and you'll have him copped.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Just to clarify this, the problems with the banks are actually contributing greatly to the growing unemployment. Just take the common scenario of viable smaller businesses who cannot get credit these days because the banks aren't giving it anymore.

Yes the banks lack of lending is causing great stress for smaller business, but even if you take the banks out of it, we have huge job losses from the collapse of construction whilst on the other side we have huge public spending due to our previous governments increasing employment in the sector and awarding big salary increases.
    Also a lot of big companies are closing or relocating becuase we are too expensive a location to do business and the tightening of global economy is bringing this matter to a head.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement

Yes the banks lack of lending is causing great stress for smaller business, but even if you take the banks out of it, we have huge job losses from the collapse of construction whilst on the other side we have huge public spending due to our previous governments increasing employment in the sector and awarding big salary increases.
    The only way the job losses in construction could have been avoided is if the jobs didn't exist in the first place.

The industry went into overdrive and employed a lot more people than it typically would. This gave a lot of people jobs that wouldn't have them otherwise. Now that the industry has crashed, these excess jobs are disappearing.

Had the industry not gone into overdrive, these jobs would never had existed and our unemployment would have been a lot higher all through the last few years.

Fine Gal would not have been able to sustain the levels of employment in construction.

Advertisement