Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Party candidate makes howler on Pat Kenny this morning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

killy09 wrote: »
    Im suprised the other opposition candidates did not put her to the sword on that blunder. Politeness? or they too did not know gas is a fossil fuel? :D

I thought heard tumbleweed blowing throught the studio after her comment.
    If some one of the guys had put her to the sword, they would be labelled sexist as critics of the mensa candidate from Donegal have :rolleyes:
    squonk wrote: »
    Anyone out there able to remember Mary White's stunningly stupid idea about putting energy efficient ratings on the number plates of cars? She was interviewed onthe Last word about it around 2 years ago or something. I believe it was along the lines of a sticker or soemthing like those ones that you see on German numberplates... but ithin I'm giving her too much credit here because I think it was more daft than that but I cant' remember the exact details. I'm choosing to ignore the fact that a vehicle's energy efficiency disimproves as it gets older...

Was she the muppet that proposed a lesser easier driving test for old folks since afterall they would drive slower on the way for the pension ?
    Or was she the moron that came up with idea of changing the side of the road we drive on at different times for different counties ?

Both of these ideas have definitely been proposed by politicians :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Cliste wrote: »
    I don't think that you're reading any of my posts fairly -Considering I compared her to Bush... I don't know how a anyone could be chosen as candidate if they don't know stuff like that, seems like a very very bad choice. I did say that it is clear that she is a very poor public speaker - PERHAPS the pressure meant she came out with that statement

Taking the opposite opinion here isn't easy to be fair. The Greens are getting it in the neck but I am putting forward my opinion that they are being unfairly picked upon. (Given the other parties that are around at the moment it's not a mad opinion to take)

To be fair to that candidate no party supporter of any hue would be pleased with how she performed. My comments are more general ones on your own defence of The Greens in this forum. In a lot of ways I don't think they can be defended.

Labour's Spring Tide is remembered not for what they might have achieved but for sleeping with the enemy. Across the water Labour have become virtually unelectable because they are seen as dirty.

It's not all about "look at our policies" which as far as I can see is the Greens' modus operandi. The public take far, far more into account and it is the little things that they said they would and wouldn't do that will be most remembered. And we do like to punish parties for perceived lies and slights. That's not irrational, that's just an average voter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

is_that_so wrote: »
    To be fair to that candidate no party supporter of any hue would be pleased with how she performed. My comments are more general ones on your own defence of The Greens in this forum. In a lot of ways I don't think they can be defended.

That is a completely different argument to this:
    is_that_so wrote: »
    Labour's Spring Tide is remembered not for what they might have achieved but for sleeping with the enemy. Across the water Labour have become virtually unelectable because they are seen as dirty.

It's not all about "look at our policies" which as far as I can see is the Greens' modus operandi. The public take far, far more into account and it is the little things that they said they would and wouldn't do that will be most remembered. And we do like to punish parties for perceived lies and slights. That's not irrational, that's just an average voter.

First off: My defence of the Greens in a whole number of threads is mainly because of the absolute illogical nature of the mud that is being flung at them. For instance there's another thread knocking about complaining that Green Party members are also part of an Taisce - the OP had forgotten about an Taisce by his 4th post - deciding to ignore the points made by a number of posters, and continued to attack the greens over a different topic.
    As for my general defence of the greens on other matters that are very much less excusable (and I must add I completely agree that they are inexcusable), I am giving the other side of the argument - which is needed to keep some of the threads alive given the out and out witch hunting that boardsies can be prone to. (Take our friend Raiser - he is a great ranter - has a brilliant way of putting things, really gets the emotions out, but if you peel back what he says there's nothing behind it - to disarm him you just ask for him to back-up what he says - thats not a good way to discuss things)

I definitely agree on your second point. The voting public can often not be logical about things (this works every way). I have said elsewhere that I think that it would be best for the continued existence and prosperity of the Greens that they take the current government down - the problem is how they balance it, I don't think that there was a hope in hell for them if they had left any time before the recession (cue cries of being an unstable party - they'd never be let near a coalition ever again) I think (and I hope that they do) bring the Government down AFTER these coming elections, when a clear mandate will exist for such a move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

One person, one vote. Then people would use it wisely rather than throwibg second votes aroung willy nilly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Was canvassed on the street by that Davidson woman the other day, told her I dont live in the area but she still had a chat, admitted she screwed up but came across as fairly decent, got the impression she isnt your usual career politician. seems she does community work anyway and only got into politics recently so she not "media trained" (sez the girlfriend who lives in the area).

What I found interesting/worrying about that Kenny debate is that she was the only one who opposed the selling of Bord Gais. If they are sold for €500m or whatever then WE THE F**KING TAXPAYERS are going have to buy it back, at the rate of €500m PLUS interest on the sh**es who buy it PLUS another healthy dollop for their own profits.

FFS have we learnt nothing in the past, sell the family jewels for s bit of short term gain? No bloody thanks.

• Advertisement

And whatever about candidates I find Yawn Gormless very very irritating (dunno why) :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Why would WE THE F**KING TAXPAYERS have to buy it back?

"WE", (the state) sell it to xyz company, probably someone like Shell, Total, Gazprom etc etc.

The ordinary Joe will then buy this gas back off xyz company over the next few decades at a higher rate then we sell it to them (market economics or whatever you want to call it).

Instead of controlling this natural resource we will pay more for it, the surplus/profit going overseas, the balance of payments taking a hit and generally being detrimental to the economy.

Its our gas, we put the infrastructure in place, we should benefit from it, not some private company.

We should try to learn from our mistakes with the Shell contract in Mayo and not do this.

There are also other examples of places where privatisation has not always worked, UK, Germany etc have examples.

This is why I do not think that we should sell Bord Gais, and btw I do not live in a house which is supplied with gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

bijapos wrote: »
    "WE", (the state) sell it to xyz company, probably someone like Shell, Total, Gazprom etc etc.

The ordinary Joe will then buy this gas back off xyz company over the next few decades at a higher rate then we sell it to them (market economics or whatever you want to call it).

Instead of controlling this natural resource we will pay more for it, the surplus/profit going overseas, the balance of payments taking a hit and generally being detrimental to the economy.

Its our gas, we put the infrastructure in place, we should benefit from it, not some private company.

We should try to learn from our mistakes with the Shell contract in Mayo and not do this.

There are also other examples of places where privatisation has not always worked, UK, Germany etc have examples.

This is why I do not think that we should sell Bord Gais, and btw I do not live in a house which is supplied with gas.

Sorry I am missing something here because my state owned gas bills are fcuking HUGE!!!

Yep they probably are huge, but they wouldn't get any smaller if Bord Gais were sold off, on the contrary they would (probably) go higher.

And at least at the moment the money ends up in the states coffers (whatever they do with your money after that is another thread too)

This is going rapidly off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

jmayo wrote: »
    I thought heard tumbleweed blowing throught the studio after her comment.
    If some one of the guys had put her to the sword, they would be labelled sexist as critics of the mensa candidate from Donegal have :rolleyes:

Was she the muppet that proposed a lesser easier driving test for old folks since afterall they would drive slower on the way for the pension ?
    Or was she the moron that came up with idea of changing the side of the road we drive on at different times for different counties ?

Both of these ideas have definitely been proposed by politicians :rolleyes:
    that was Donie Cassidy who proposed changing the side of the road we drive on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Yep they probably are huge, but they wouldn't get any smaller if Bord Gais were sold off, on the contrary they would (probably) go higher.

And at least at the moment the money ends up in the states coffers (whatever they do with your money after that is another thread too)

This is going rapidly off topic.

I think you are neglecting the fact that historically state run businesses are bloated and inefficient. A private company would probably cut the costs of bord gais and therefore maximise profits by lowering the overheads. My opinion is that the Banks and the hospitals should be state ran. Transport and energy should be private.

Privatisation might work sometimes, a lot of the time it has been regretted, depends if you want profit or a service.

On private energy, we see every time the price of a barrel of oil goes up the price of fuel goes up disproportionally. I just think for a short term gain we would be shafted long term. Gas Infrastructure is already there so we owe no one on this account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

doesn't seem this candidate comes from a environmentalist background, no bad thing.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

They were always doomed. Look what happened to the PDs.
    Although they got decimated, their leader is still high up in government (possibly as a form of punishment)
    Anyone out there able to remember Mary White's stunningly stupid idea about putting energy efficient ratings on the number plates of cars?
    Mary is great for the funny policy suggestions! She also wanted to create a two tiered driver licence system (at a time when the RSA is trying to improve the fatality stats) aimed at people living in remote areas and elderly people who rely on their cars to get through their daily tasks. Adding to that she suggested that this license is for those who get nervous when they sit the real driving test and who don't drive too far from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Cliste wrote: »
    There seems to be a huge illogical hatred of the Greens on boards - yet again this thread highlights it: "w@nkers" "morons"

I disagree it is not illogical or as your great leader would spout "irrational"
    The hatred as you call it displayed on Boards is just a snap shot of the general populations dislike of your party. You people are the closest thing to a political cult spouting your Green Mantra. As I said before there is no need for a Green party marginalising Ireland with economically damaging policies. Green issues will be dealt with and legislated for by the EU in the form of Eu directives which as members we will have to implement the sooner you are consigned to the history books the better for this country !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Darsad wrote: »
    The hatred as you call it displayed on Boards is just a snap shot of the general populations dislike of your party. ...

Given the way in which you attack the Greens (and don't do much else here) your claim about being part of the general population's view is about as convincing as Declan Ganley's pro-Europeanism.

The hatred as you call it displayed on Boards is just a snap shot of the general populations dislike of your party. You people are the closest thing to a political cult spouting your Green Mantra. As I said before there is no need for a Green party marginalising Ireland with economically damaging policies. Green issues will be dealt with and legislated for by the EU in the form of Eu directives which as members we will have to implement the sooner you are consigned to the history books the better for this country !

I'm glad that you believe that I'm a member of the Greens - however I'm not :eek: So it is not My 'great leader', my 'Green Mantra', My 'people', or indeed me that will be 'consigned to the history books' - Come on - Grow up, don't assume things about me.

I am not a member of the Green Party.

First off please explain how the Green policies are 'economically damaging'? (I think the bankers policies have been the real problem)*

Green Directives from Europe have not been heeded by the government Féach anseo

*I'm not defending them here per say - I am just curious, and plus it entertains me making people back up what they say with some facts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Mea Culpa folks..... I voted in the last general election for my local green candidate but I have seen the error in my ways.

But in my defence I voted green in the hope of them forming a coalition with FG & Labour to deliver a new government with a strong emphasis on envirionemtal protection and energy reform.

So picture me on my knees , arched backwards roaring at the sky "how could I have been so blind" :D

I wanted a government that would make the big decisions itself on the environment, but all we got was nanny state interference , telling me what car I should drive, what Light bulb I should use....

I wont make the same mistake again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

One person, one vote. Then people would use it wisely rather than throwibg second votes aroung willy nilly

Good point fred, it's called tactical voting. Vote for the candidate(s) you prefer then vote all the way down the list for candidates other than the ones you don't want to get in i.e. if you don't want FF or Greens to get in then vote for your preferred candidate(s) and then for everyone else bar them. This makes sure they don't get allocated any transfers, or more importantly that transfers go to their rivals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Good point fred, it's called tactical voting. Vote for the candidate(s) you prefer then vote all the way down the list for candidates other than the ones you don't want to get in i.e. if you don't want FF or Greens to get in then vote for your preferred candidate(s) and then for everyone else bar them. This makes sure they don't get allocated any transfers, or more importantly that transfers go to their rivals.

That's exactly what I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Mea Culpa folks..... I voted in the last general election for my local green candidate but I have seen the error in my ways.

But in my defence I voted green in the hope of them forming a coalition with FG & Labour to deliver a new government with a strong emphasis on envirionemtal protection and energy reform.

So picture me on my knees , arched backwards roaring at the sky "how could I have been so blind" :D

I wanted a government that would make the big decisions itself on the environment, but all we got was nanny state interference , telling me what car I should drive, what Light bulb I should use....

I wont make the same mistake again!

Thanks for posting that, it was exactly my position too. In fact my vote for the greens was also because they were the only party that expressly ruled out a coalition with FF.
    Never will I vote for them again

Before anyone jumps on me for this let me say that I have NEVER voted for the Greens, BUT, with the amount of people who I have spoken to, who write here and on other forums who state something along the lines of "I-voted-for-the-Greens-last-time-but-wont-be-doing-it-this-time" it would seem that the Greens should have a hell of a lot more seats in the Dail than the 6 they do now. :P

Btw, might vote for them in the locals this time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Before anyone jumps on me for this let me say that I have NEVER voted for the Greens, BUT, with the amount of people who I have spoken to, who write here and on other forums who state something along the lines of "I-voted-for-the-Greens-last-time-but-wont-be-doing-it-this-time" it would seem that the Greens should have a hell of a lot more seats in the Dail than the 6 they do now. :P

Btw, might vote for them in the locals this time :D

I love when someone cops the madness of boards. If boards was life we would have prostitution, cannibas and no churches in life. Thank god its full of mad people.

btt: I would vote greens only that they are daft! The only good green is patricia mckenna.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭squonk

Well I voted Green some way down in my prefs last time as I voted for the parties that I wanted to see replace the existing govt in the hopes that that would happen, and in the belief that the Greens would not go into coalition with FF. I was wrong and was very disappointed with what happened after that. I'd have maybe forgiven them had they turned out to be a relevant goventment party, but instead I've got CFL bulbs shoved down my neck, ridiculous talk of carbon levies which are going to cost me money for something I don't want. Dublin Bus is shedding services, I could go on. The one time Gormless had a chance to stand up and be counted over the incinerator in South Dublin, he backed well away very quickly on the orders of his bosses, and Trevor Sergeant, the only passable politician out of the whole lot of them has been assigned to the political equivalent of the hebridies. As a party they deserve to be wiped out. They are totally useless and I'm very much hoping that the majority of the electorate are of the same opinion as myself this time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

If boards was life we would have prostitution, cannibas and no churches in life.

Yeah, because it's not like prostitution or "cannibas" exist in life. Only on boards.

No churches? In fairness, what are you on about?

But anyway, back to the topic.

If I'd voted Green, I'd be feeling pretty betrayed by the Green leadership right now, and it would take a lot for me to ever trust them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

As a party they deserve to be wiped out. They are totally useless and I'm very much hoping that the majority of the electorate are of the same opinion as myself this time round.

Hear Hear !! although certain people on this forum wont have anything negative said of the Greens .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Some of us may come across as harsh on the greens and for that I do apologise.

I wont be voting for them again, but its not like I've ever voted FF in my life anyway.
    If I feel you have done a bad job I will vote against you.
    Personally I'm driven by pragmatism rather than idealism.
    And considering all our major parties are slap bang in the centre, it makes no odds anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Say what you like about Pat Kenny, but he's really a very adept political interviewer. I'd rate him far higher than Paxman and it's nice to see that he's returning to his 'core-business'.

He nailed one of the bankers recently when the banker said that politicians shouldn't run banks and PK said something along of the lines of "...and think that you've been doing a good job yourselves?".

• Advertisement

Hear Hear !! although certain people on this forum wont have anything negative said of the Greens .

Is that aimed at me!? Listen the fact of the matter is that half of the arguments aimed at the greens here are half baked and mad.

If people stuck with the sane arguments (Such as the Greens baking up FF's mad policies, and particularly the bus cuts - then they'd have a point).
    I love when someone cops the madness of boards. If boards was life we would have prostitution, cannibas and no churches in life. Thank god its full of mad people.

btt: I would vote greens only that they are daft! The only good green is patricia mckenna.

So you'll definitly not be voting Greens then!?!?

And yea - although use of 'Your Ma' is often to be seen in real life (AH), and ranting that would even put politics here to shame is prevalent in Irish society! (Try any community AGM - we can all learn how a good rant is done!)

Advertisement