Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Comparative and Poetry Recommendations.

Options
  • 15-05-2009 3:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭

Rightso, only three weeks to go til the Leaving and it's time to get the finger out and start studying. I'm doing the LC as an external candidate and was wondering what everyone's recommendations would be for the comparitive, preferably short novels obviously. :P

Also what poetry should I study? Did the LC in 2007, is it the same poets up every year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

No there are new poets. Get yerself an 09 poetry book and it'll have the poets. Check the syllabus to see what comparative texts are on and pick three. Philadelphia Here I Come is a short enough play and any of the films will only take around 2 hours to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

oh lord you havent started them yet????:eek:
    get english key notes, yellow and orange book, has sample answers in it, learn off the cultural context and vision and viewpoint answers and a key moment for each is really important

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

leesmom wrote: »
    a key moment for each is really important

It is? :eek: I've never mentioned one and I get really high marks in comparative

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Bitta Cinema Paradiso will sort you out!:D

whether key moment comes up in theme v and v or cultural cont i do not know but my comparative teacher is a corrector and apparenlty they stressed the importance of key moments at that meeting thingy for correctors in athlone or wherever it is a while back , she does not normally try to predict across any part of the paper but stressed the importance of this

• Advertisement

http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2007/LC002ALP200EV.pdf theres an example of the key moment q in 2007 there is also a theme one on the 2006 paper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Piste wrote: »
    No there are new poets. Get yerself an 09 poetry book and it'll have the poets. Check the syllabus to see what comparative texts are on and pick three. Philadelphia Here I Come is a short enough play and any of the films will only take around 2 hours to watch.

Was hoping to only do one film tbh, any other ideas? Thanks in advance. :) The theme, V+V and cultural context were the ones we did in 6th year so thankfully they're up again. Suppose I'll check skoool for the syllabus, checked around before but couldn't find it.
    http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2007/LC002ALP200EV.pdf theres an example of the key moment q in 2007 there is also a theme one on the 2006 paper

I did the pessimism/optimism one, a brilliant answer, did it in the pre and only lost a couple of marks in it.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

whether key moment comes up in theme v and v or cultural cont i do not know but my comparative teacher is a corrector and apparenlty they stressed the importance of key moments at that meeting thingy for correctors in athlone or wherever it is a while back , she does not normally try to predict across any part of the paper but stressed the importance of this

We have heard the same thing, they made a big deal out of it in the chief examiners report, which apparently is the bible for correctors.

It also said that: in the single text there wasn't enough quotations, and in the poetry there wasn't enough emphasis on poetic techniques i.e. people were telling the story of the poem as such but not really analyzing it technically.

amacachi wrote: »
    Was hoping to only do one film tbh, any other ideas? Thanks in advance. :) The theme, V+V and cultural context were the ones we did in 6th year so thankfully they're up again. Suppose I'll check skoool for the syllabus, checked around before but couldn't find it.

I did the pessimism/optimism one, a brilliant answer, did it in the pre and only lost a couple of marks in it.:P

I'm assuming you're only looking to pass English seeing as you're only starting poetry and comparative now, so discussing two will be fine. In a lot of questions they say "at least two". Just dont choose the question that had one part where you discuss two and another part where you discuss another one.

I'm assuming you're only looking to pass English seeing as you're only starting poetry and comparative now, so discussing two will be fine. In a lot of questions they say "at least two". Just dont choose the question that had one part where you discuss two and another part where you discuss another one.

Going for at least a B as it happens. Ah well, I'll see what my sister's friends think would be handiest, thanks.

• Advertisement

If you're only taking English then maybe a B is possible by only starting poetry and comparative 3 weeks before the exam, if you're doing the whole LC though I wouldn't get your hopes up.

If you're only taking English then maybe a B is possible by only starting poetry and comparative 3 weeks before the exam, if you're doing the whole LC though I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Heh, we'll see. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭the_wheel_turns

Either Keats or Walcott will DEFINITELY be on the paper, if not the two of them.

Then either Montague or Longley, but not both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

Either Keats or Walcott will DEFINITELY be on the paper, if not the two of them.
    Why so sure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Assumptions aren't appreciated,thanks :)

The poets that are up are
    Elizabeth Bishop
    Adrienne Rich
    Derek Walcott
    John Keats
    Derek Mahon
    John Montague
    Philip Larkin
    Michael Longley.

In class,I studied Bishop,Rich,Montague,Mahon and Larkin,some better than others :) I'm pretty sure Bishop is coming up,but you can't really rely on that,so my English teacher said Montague is a good bet. And people have said Keats and Walcott are coming up,but I haven't studied them,so I can't really offer any perspective.

The films up for the Comparative are
    Richard the Third, Director: Loncraine
    Strictly Ballroom, Director: Luhrmann
    Inside I'm Dancing, Director: O'Donnell
    The Third Man, Director: Reid
    Cinema Paradiso, Director: Tornatore
    The Truman Show, Director: Weir Peter

I heard you can only do one....we did Strictly Ballroom,it's fairly straightforward :)

The other texts are
    Cat's eye - Margaret Atwood
    Kepler - John Banville
    Regeneration - Pat Barker
    Arthur and George - Julian Barnes
    Waiting for Godot - Samuel Beckett
    Circle of Friends - Maeve Binchy
    Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
    In Patagonia - Bruce Chatwin
    Fasting, Feasting - Anita Desai
    Spies - Michael Frayn
    Philadelphia, Here I Come! - Brian Friel
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon
    The Speckled People - Hugo Hamilton
    Under the Greenwood Tree - Thomas Hardy
    A Portrait of the Artist as a young man - James Joyce
    No Great Mischief - Alistair Mac Leod
    Life of Pi - Yann Martel
    The Lonesome West - Martin Mc Donagh
    The Crucible - Arthur Miller
    The Secret Life of Bees - Sue Monk Kidd
    Purple Hibiscus - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
    Plough and the Stars - Sean O'Casey
    My Oedipus Complex and Other Stories - Frank O'Connor
    Bel Canto - Ann Patchett
    The Bookseller of Kabul -Asne Seierstad
    Macbeth - William Shakespeare
    The Tempest - William Shakespeare
    Unless - Carol Shields
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain
    Old School - Tobias Wolff

Philadelphia is handy enough,IMO. [Edit: Philadelphia,Here I Come! by Brian Friel] Do not do Circle of Friends.
    The modes are Cultural Context, Theme or Issue and General Vision and Viewpoint. I did CC and TorI,but I've heard that Vision and Viewpoint is more straightforward.
    Good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭superLeetive

amacachi wrote: »
    Rightso, only three weeks to go til the Leaving and it's time to get the finger out and start studying. I'm doing the LC as an external candidate and was wondering what everyone's recommendations would be for the comparitive, preferably short novels obviously. :P

Also what poetry should I study? Did the LC in 2007, is it the same poets up every year?

So happy there's actually someone in the same boat as me!:)

Sat the LC last year but repeating as an external candidate this year. Only decided to register to repeat in Feb and haven't thought much about it since. Just opened my copy of MacBeth today and haven't even bought the poetry book yet.

Got a B2 last year but didn't do the Shakespeare Q on Paper 2 cos didn't even know the storyline so hoping for a B3 this year (hoping to go up in other subjects) considering I haven't started studying yet. Studied Mahon and Larkin for poetry last year and answered on Mahon for the exam, I got 49/50 (viewed script) so would be delighted if he came up again but looks highly unlikely.

Any tips would be much appreciated!

So happy there's actually someone in the same boat as me!:)

Sat the LC last year but repeating as an external candidate this year. Only decided to register to repeat in Feb and haven't thought much about it since. Just opened my copy of MacBeth today and haven't even bought the poetry book yet.

Got a B2 last year but didn't do the Shakespeare Q on Paper 2 cos didn't even know the storyline so hoping for a B3 this year (hoping to go up in other subjects) considering I haven't started studying yet. Studied Mahon and Larkin for poetry last year and answered on Mahon for the exam, I got 49/50 (viewed script) so would be delighted if he came up again but looks highly unlikely.

Any tips would be much appreciated!

Are you resitting the whole thing? Have to say it does sound like we're in a similar boat, got a ****load of books off a mate there yesterday. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 niallthegreat

Hey sat the leaving last year as well got a B3 last year actually think I can do better this year there isnt that much to go over its easier than people are saying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 wigsa

You're ****ed.And deservedly so.You're not funny,you're not a legend,you're not cool,you're a retard.And I hope you fail English.Particularly seeing as this is your 2nd time doing it,and you're actually stupid enough to think you can get away with doing the comparative 3 weeks before the exam.

I hope you enjoy your job stacking shelves and tesco,dunnes because that's where you're staying.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 284 ✭✭We

wigsa wrote: »
    You're ****ed.And deservedly so.You're not funny,you're not a legend,you're not cool,you're a retard.And I hope you fail English.Particularly seeing as this is your 2nd time doing it,and you're actually stupid enough to think you can get away with doing the comparative 3 weeks before the exam.

I hope you enjoy your job stacking shelves and tesco,dunnes because that's where you're staying.

You don't know this guy's story so why would you actually put in the effort of posting this shíte.

For all you know he/she could be an highly regarded literary critic. He/she probably isn't, but you sure don't know, so keep your ignorance to yourself - it will serve you better if you ever end up stacking shelves ;)

Also, your grammar is pretty poor so I'd work on that if I were you.

• Advertisement

I know people who got over 550 points by studying days before the exam. I know people who repeated and ignored studying certain subjects,and got 550 points. Just so you know,asshole, there is nothing wrong with stacking shelves. So,STFU. Calling someone you don't know a retard is actually the most retarded thing I can think of. Don't be such a judgemental asshole. Cop on. GROW UP. Oh,and the word is not "and"..it's "is." Just so you know,English ace.

Jesus,relax lads...ever hear of a bit of trolling??

I'm new hear so I said I'd start testing the water...

obviously everything's taken literally though so at least I know now...

Anyway,if the man/woman who I replied to took it as seriously as the rest of ye,I'm sorry,it was a joke.

I don't think I like boards...

^ Ah,you were joking? In your own wise words,
    "You're not funny,you're not a legend,you're not cool,you're a retard."

Oh,and I still maintain you should grow up. Even more,now,maybe.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 284 ✭✭We

Regardless, your both probably going to get banned for insulting people..
    If your going to do it, do it discretely..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Haha, similar to the classic "it's my first day'' excuse :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Jesus,relax lads...ever hear of a bit of trolling??

I'm new hear so I said I'd start testing the water...

obviously everything's taken literally though so at least I know now...

Anyway,if the man/woman who I replied to took it as seriously as the rest of ye,I'm sorry,it was a joke.

I don't think I like boards...
    If you know what trolling is, you should know that it's not allowed. Abusing other posters is against the rules of this website and if you have issues with this I suggest you find another message board on which to impart your evidently great wisdom.

Also, jokes are usually funny. Try to work on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 niallthegreat

Actually guys I really don't mind im studying law, im repeating in case I get the points for medicine ... besides I would like to see how wigsa gets on in the leavin then he can laugh

Actually guys I really don't mind im studying law, im repeating in case I get the points for medicine ... besides I would like to see how wigsa gets on in the leavin then he can laugh

Don't worry about me kid,I'll be getting my course,no worries.Might see you next year?Where you based??

Advertisement