Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Touareg, Santa Fe or Qashqai?

• 15-05-2009 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Help please, which car would you pick and why. Have driven them all just can't make up my mind.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

There's a massive difference between all three jeeps there. The Touareg is expensive to run on fuel, will be the most expensive to tax and insure, and you'll lose whatever you pay for it when you want to sell it.
    The Santa Fe is probably the best of the three there, unless you want something small, in which case the Qashqai fits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Touareg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Or just buy a better to drive , better to look at and much more economical car ;)

Oh no what have I started ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

This is on a similar par to the passat vs celica thread! The only similarity is the fact these are considered off roaders.

The qashqai is the best car nissan have at the moment, well other then the gtr! But its small i thought. It is nice though and 1.5dci is only Š150 to tax i think.
    I've never driven the santa fe but it seems ok on the inside looks ok!
    The vw aint that nice huge disappointment imo. While the interior aint bad i think it would be outclassed by the super vw, name escapes me but if you've tge money to run the toureg you can afford that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

No, thanks, I'm driving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

What's important to you OP?

At the moment you're asking us "would you like cheese or a football?" :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

:mad: WHAT did you call me?

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

-Chris- wrote: »
    What's important to you OP?

At the moment you're asking us "would you like cheese or a football?" :p
    Stinky cheese or a burst football, at that.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I have a slight soft spot for the Qashqai even though I wouldn't buy one. It's the most car-like of the 3 (and the cheapest) so on that grounds it'd be my choice. It doesn't pretend to be a macho mud plugger.

Personally I'd go for an estate if I needed the space - Legacy, 5-series, maybe even a Passat. Like others said your choices are all over the place and a hankering for soft-roaders ain't gonna gain you much respect here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

Touareg or Touran?

vw_touareg_largo.jpg

touran_front.jpg

Apples and oranges, really, without knowing what you really want I can't tell you which you want.

• Advertisement

The Touareg for me anyway, Its in a different class compared with the other two. I would be comparing the Touareg with X5's etc not a Santa Fe or Qashqai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

No, definitely not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

The Touareg for me anyway, Its in a different class compared with the other two. I would be comparing the Touareg with X5's etc not a Santa Fe or Qashqai.

I'd compare the Touareg to this -
    bin-lorry-blaze-270.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Can only speak for the Qashqui, this is not a 4x4, but a crossover, therefore it is not in the same class as the other 2. The wife has a 1.6 petrol one. It's getting 8l/100klm, very comfortable to drive and fits 2 child seats in the back. Boot is ample, i.e. fits a weeks shopping and a buggy. Yes the 1.5Dci is only €156 a year to tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

But we're saying Qashqui is nicer to drive and cheaper to run than the other two.

Does the OP tow a horsebox? That'd figure into my thinking tbh...

OP, where have you gone?? We need your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Tiguan? Forrester? Outback? Freelander 2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I'd compare the Touareg to this -
    bin-lorry-blaze-270.jpg

Thats cute. Care to share why?

The Touareg, for an "urban" SUV is a competent off roader as well documented online. Its also bigger and has a better interior and a nice large range of engines to choose from. The very first 2.5TDIs had problems with interior plastics which was corrected. The 2.5TDI is also a bit smokey, but generally quite good as TDIs go. Touareg are in line with X5s.

The other 2 are high roofed cars / soft roader. Compare them to Rav4s and such.

My preference would be strongly in favour of a tasteful and versatile estate something, but I can still sit on the sidelines and see whats what with SUVs.

We have to assume from the choices that off road/towing ability is not important to the OP. The Touareg is a lot more expensive an ownership proposition, and it doesn't sound to me as though the OP would get extra value for their increased outlay. +1 on the estate.

Anan1 wrote: »
    We have to assume from the choices that off road/towing ability is not important to the OP. The Touareg is a lot more expensive an ownership proposition, and it doesn't sound to me as though the OP would get extra value for their increased outlay. +1 on the estate.

Yeah totally, which would lead me to believe that, like most people, what he is really asking is "which is the coolest / gets most road respect", irrelevant of it suitability.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Yeah totally, which would lead me to believe that, like most people, what he is really asking is "which is the coolest / gets most road respect", irrelevant of it suitability.
    Pretty much. Which is why Drummerboy08 (unless the OP is a builder stuck in 2006) has a point.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Gorill8

thanks for all the comments. I'm just looking to get something of a decent size, is safe and will accomodate more than 1 child with all their stuff(golf clubs too!). I like them all but haven't been blown away by the santa fe and have always been a vw brand man myself, just have to decide which one to get.
    i can afford to run the bigger engine, mpg is similar for the touareg and the santa fe, but the qashqai is much better for that purpose. I'm not going to be doing big mileage, about 10k km a year so the saving won't be enormous
    I also wanted to get the bigger jeep so should the family get bigger we won't be needing another new car/jeep in two years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

If it has to be one of those 3:

Touareg - heard reliability issues, not a bad yoke though. cost a lot more to run than the other 2

Qashqai - Had one as a company car, huge spec in them but I found it very uncomfortable, seats broke my back

Santa Fe - GF's father has one. Best of the 3 imo, especially with a bit of spec like leather, etc. 2.2 version is a lot better

I'd also be looking at the Rav4 and the Honda Cr-v

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Gorill8 wrote: »
    thanks for all the comments. I'm just looking to get something of a decent size, is safe and will accomodate more than 1 child with all their stuff(golf clubs too!). I like them all but haven't been blown away by the santa fe and have always been a vw brand man myself, just have to decide which one to get.
    i can afford to run the bigger engine, mpg is similar for the touareg and the santa fe, but the qashqai is much better for that purpose. I'm not going to be doing big mileage, about 10k km a year so the saving won't be enormous
    I also wanted to get the bigger jeep so should the family get bigger we won't be needing another new car/jeep in two years

If you are a loyal follower of the church of VAG (no shortage of parishioners around here) just get an A4/A6 Avant instead, with one child a 2 ton soccer mom's SUV is a bit OTT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Victor_M wrote: »
    with one child a 2 ton soccer mom's SUV is a bit OTT.

What about an Allroad: loads of room, four-wheel-drive security, Audi quality but without the SUV stigma?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

+1
    If your looking for space and prestige, there's little to touch an A6 Avant

Zube wrote: »
    What about an Allroad: loads of room, four-wheel-drive security, Audi quality but without the SUV stigma?

I have one, really like it. However the TDI option is the old 2.5V6 TDI (which is rather antiquated and not very good) and the petrol version (which I love) is the MPG hating 2.7 BiTurbo.

There is also the fact there is a big premium on the Allroad over the A6. For the same cash you can get a newer shape A6 Avant with a sensible 2.0TDI engine. The premium is justified if you care for what it offers over an A6:

The AR excels at offroad ability (4lvl Air Suspension, same ground clearance as a Land Rover and above X5) and has a sweet wide wheel base the same as the range topping RS4/6 series Audi's. Lowest Setting is below an S6 and can be tuned lower via software. It can also wade through water, has protective metal shielding for the exhaust downpipes, plastic (ie easily replacable) arches and trim etc. Interior is at S class levels with Sat Nav, Bose Surround sound and Solar Sunroof common options. It was a true "crossover" vehicle and has bonus rarity points in my book, but OTT for the OP. The new 2008+ "A6 Allroad" (as they call it, there is an A4 Allroad now too) looks fantastic, but openly trades alot of the very practical utilitarian aspects of the original for styling and is equally as expensive as the original AR was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

If it has to be one of those 3:

Touareg - heard reliability issues, not a bad yoke though. cost a lot more to run than the other 2

Qashqai - Had one as a company car, huge spec in them but I found it very uncomfortable, seats broke my back

Santa Fe - GF's father has one. Best of the 3 imo, especially with a bit of spec like leather, etc. 2.2 version is a lot better

I'd also be looking at the Rav4 and the Honda Cr-v

Honda were advertising a nice price drop on the diesel CR-V a couple of weeks back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Tourag has most street cred, not up there with X5 or Q7 though

Quashqi is the cheapest and they now have a 7 seat version.

Santa Fe is probably the middle of the road choice, but is probably the best of the choices you have given us. Go for the new shape 2.2 with leather, auto box etc. It is a nice drive, the missus has one;)

thegen wrote: »
    Tourag has most street cred, not up there with X5 or Q7 though
    Maybe two years ago, big SUVs are desperately unfashionable now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭dazzerb

My wife has a 2004 Touareg. It drives and handles beautifully but man it drives me nuts will false positive dings and warning lights. Constantly tells you that I you have flat tyres, fuel cap is opened (when it is closed), airbags are faulty and then all the paint on all the plastic switches peels off so the interior looks like cr@p. Breaks and tyres do not last very long before you have to replace them either.

VW have fixed the broken items once or twice but the issues keep reoccurring. I would sell it but it is really not worth much anymore!

Hopefully newer models are better.

Again - brilliant to drive and does not handle like your typical SUV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Ericka

The feedback on this thread has been great, was thinking about going down this route myself. I wanted something economical though, so you've pretty much made up my mind for me. Quashqi it is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Gorill8

after all that we ended up buying a Honda Crv!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

There's a massive difference between all three jeeps there. The Touareg is expensive to run on fuel, will be the most expensive to tax and insure, and you'll lose whatever you pay for it when you want to sell it.
    The Santa Fe is probably the best of the three there, unless you want something small, in which case the Qashqai fits.
    I know this thread is dead but that's some very poor advice you're handing out there. The cheap and nasty Santa Fe will lose its value far quicker than the Touareg. They're one of the worst cars on the road. It's the Touareg for me each time. :)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Just a few things:

1.) why do people call them Jeeps? A Jeep is a make of vehicle, a brand. Not a type of vehicle. The Jeep brand which is manufactuered by AMC and owned by Chrysler.

2.) the Quascow is a hatchback, not a offroad vehicle, or a crossover, or a SUV.

Not to self - look at the dates of the original posts before having a rant. These people do not care now.

Advertisement