Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traditional Cuisine in Cork

Options
  • 15-05-2009 8:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

Looking for a spot where I can grab some "traditional" cuisine... cabbage & bacon, ect. which may be available at a local pub? Tired of the same menu and more tired of hitting KCs (damn late nights)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Jhazon wrote: »
    Looking for a spot where I can grab some "traditional" cuisine... cabbage & bacon, ect. which may be available at a local pub? Tired of the same menu and more tired of hitting KCs (damn late nights)

My Mam's house:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Market Lane do a few traditional dishes like that. Ham hock and cabbage, sausage and mash on the menu. Very good quality food and service. Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

An Crubín across from city hall do all traditional food, only thing is they kinda market it as tapas so don't be expecting a big feed or anything, they're all lovely in their though so if you asked for a proper portion of something i'm sure it'd be fine.

Léan wrote: »
    An Crubín across from city hall do all traditional food, only thing is they kinda market it as tapas so don't be expecting a big feed or anything, they're all lovely in their though so if you asked for a proper portion of something i'm sure it'd be fine.

nice food alright, but t'aint cheap for what you're getting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Jhazon

I've experience An Crubín... not so fond of it. Found that most pubs outside of the city are my best supper options. Plus, after 5:30pm, there is little use of going to the city centre since everything is closed (except for some watering holes)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I'll second that re. The Market Lane, I turned off the place last year after mediocre service and meal one day - but a group of us were there last night on a friend's raving review, so I went along reluctantly and WOW - I had the most gorgeous Ham on the hock, served in a sauce that was tarragon and mustard (I think) yummy potatoes, fresh spring cabbage and cauliflower with cheese sauce. My mouth is still watering thinking about it - but I felt like somebody put a comfort blanket over me. It was an early bird menu for €20.00 I had French Onion Soup, delicious and light, the Ham main course, a little chocolate pot for dessert and coffee. Value for money - most definitely. Go and have that ham. J

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

+1 for the ham hock. Left me with a warm all over feeling too :)
    You can buy them in the English Market for a couple of € and I keep meaning to try it for myself.

Had the game pie, the second or third time I went and it was
    awful.

Saw dozens of steak on chips flying out of the kitchen the last time I was there.....most of the steaks looked crucified.....but I guess burnt to a cinder is popular. Was literally a big steak, lying atop a pile of chips!

They're hit and miss I think, but marks for effort. Wish they'd change the menu though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Jhazon

Where exactly is Market Lane? ...because I am now hungry!

Jhazon wrote: »
    Where exactly is Market Lane? ...because I am now hungry!

Towards the Parnell Place end of Oliver Plunket st. near Milano's pizza restaurant.

Advertisement