Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of IReland game...

• 15-05-2009 9:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I'll be back in Ireland 27th - 31st MAy ... was thinking of going to a LOI game
    (if tehre are any on then) to get a kickstart on my sport shots ...

what i might do is rent a 400mm f2.8 from Conns ... but can someone get me access to a game (press area) ? maybe a Bohemians game would suit best ?

I know there are some guys that post here that have press cards.... whats the story on getting a temporary one ?

RCD Espanyol and FCB have ignored my requests ... :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

No home games for the club I cover that weekend. Sorry.

Not surprised with FCB or Espanyol. Many large clubs require UEFA or press accreditation, and would also require proof of insurance.

It's not exactly simple to get an FAI press card, and I doubt they have temp ones.

One avenue of approach would be for you to contact any club directly and see what they say. I believe that some have started to check to make sure you have proper PL insurance.

With LOI games, you can certainly get away with using a 70-200mm lens, and wouldn't specifically need a 400mm f/2.8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

OK thanks,

im assuming they insist on insurance in case your gear gets damaged so they wont have to pay, surely they can just say your gear is at your own risk ??

How do you get a UEFA pass ?? is it a matter of money or a matter of being a creditied pro photographer ...?

The insurance is not for your camera, it's Public Liability - in case a player gets injured on your gear, or a fan trips on your gear.

I think for the Premiership in the UK, you require a minimum of 2.5 million of cover. I would say that the Spanish league would be similar.

UEFA tend to require you to work for press or be a member of a press association (such as ASJI).

wow!!!!

so it's hard for amateurs then ...

i must look up on joining them .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

For UEFA you have to submit images like a portfolio for them to assess and if you're up to scratch, you can register on their site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

Pats v Bray in Inchicore is your best bet.
    Contact the club beforehand.

Bohs are away to Cork City that weekend.

Have you covered football before?

Also, renting a 400mm f/2.8 won't be cheap.
    What body do you have?

kensutz wrote: »
    For UEFA you have to submit images like a portfolio for them to assess and if you're up to scratch, you can register on their site.

Still almost impossible to get accredited for anything, as you have to work for an agency, or major media organisation.

You may find it easier to cover a Division 1 game, rather than a Premier League game.

Have a browse at the LOI fixtures for that weekend.

City-Exile wrote: »
    Pats v Bray in Inchicore is your best bet.
    Contact the club beforehand.

Bohs are away to Cork City that weekend.

Have you covered football before?

Also, renting a 400mm f/2.8 won't be cheap.
    What body do you have?

yeah it won't be !!

Maybe ill stick with the 70-200 IS 2.8 , + 70-300 IS 5.6 ,,,

I have the 5D II ...

The 5D isn't ideal for sport.
    With the 70-200mm, you'll find that a lot of the action is too far away.
    The 70-300mm won't be much use unless the weather is good.

Despite the opinions of many, the League of Ireland is a serious league.
    There are places that you shouldn't sit and things that you shouldn't do.
    If I were you, I'd nail the photography side of things first, before you start to tackle the protocol of such sporting events.

The pitch at Inchicore is very tight and doesn't leave much room for manoeuvre.

You'd be better off going to UCD v Sporting Fingal, at the Belfield Bowl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Shels are playing Monaghan in Tolka on the 29th May, and doubt there would be any bother to take pictures at the match. If you want I can give you the Chairmans email address if you plan on heading along to the match, pm me for it if you want.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 mn-wergamers

Shamrock Rovers are playing Drogheda in Tallaght on Saturdayu night. For you to get in as a photographer you would want to contact the club first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

& What would you have to say to get access as a Photographer? I've done work for local papers & still have to sit with normal fans!

one2one wrote: »
    & What would you have to say to get access as a Photographer? I've done work for local papers & still have to sit with normal fans!

Ring the club and ask! All the contact details for Shamrock Rovers are here, most clubs allow photographers in no problems.. Once youse ask :)

I have phoned them before and always get the same " I will phone you back " .. :(

What would be the best question to ask them, that is most likely to get a 'Yes' answer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Ring the club and ask! All the contact details for Shamrock Rovers are here, most clubs allow photographers in no problems.. Once youse ask :)

It doesn't work that way MN, you generally need League of ireland media accreditiation and most clubs will not generally allow anyone who claims to be a photographer pitchside.

There are a number of us here who cover games and if the OP wants I;m sure none would object to bringing you along to a game and going through the protocols

soccerc wrote: »
    It doesn't work that way MN, you generally need League of ireland media accreditiation and most clubs will not generally allow anyone who claims to be a photographer pitchside.

There are a number of us here who cover games and if the OP wants I;m sure none would object to bringing you along to a game and going through the protocols

I would also love to come along to a game, as I am very new to this type of photography.

Cheers,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

hey im doing the kildare county game in newbridge on saturday your more than welcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

hey im doing the kildare county game in newbridge on saturday your more than welcome

Should see Saint Mel and myself at this game too.

whyulittle wrote: »

Will St Mel be back from Craven Cottage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

If he's heading over he should see me if I get my travel sorted out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

He was saying the other day he should be. I'll be at Station Road at any rate!

one2one wrote: »
    I have phoned them before and always get the same " I will phone you back " .. :(

What would be the best question to ask them, that is most likely to get a 'Yes' answer?

PM's...

I know someone who rang up and was allowed on! Then again it might just of been the fact that it was opening night. Anyways will you be in Tallaght urself? You always impress me with some photo's..

See ya there so Ken.

@mickn No, why would I go to a Rovers game if I'm not been paid to so do LOL

See ya there so Ken.

@mickn No, why would I go to a Rovers game if I'm not been paid to so do LOL

Didn't ya not do it for Rovers v Bohs 2 weeks ago? Oh and by the way how did ya know it was Mick Nolan :P

Am I that obvious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Yep, heading over on the Friday morning. Probably wont recognise you, seeing as I only know soccerc & whyulittle, so let a shout if you spot me! I'll be the only one in the Athlone Town hat & jacket :)

As for travel, I completely forgot where Craven Cottege was (Mrs Mel (to be) was in a car accident an hour before I was due to set off so I didnt make it to the last game there) so I just booked flight into Stansted. Got it for €25, happy days
    until I copped that its prob gonna cost more than that to get the train from there into London :(

Yes Indeedy :) Getting back on a 6am or something flight.
    whyulittle wrote: »

Yep, I'll be back in time for it. As opposed to Craven Cottege, I wont be the only one with an Athlone Town hat :)

Didn't ya not do it for Rovers v Bohs 2 weeks ago? Oh and by the way how did ya know it was Mick Nolan :P

Am I that obvious

I did but it was a paying job :D

...and yes, you are that obvious, remember us LOI fans are in the minority:D

Lol, true very true :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

any chance i could hook up with you guys saturday and experiment

set up
    canon 30d
    sigma 70-300 apo dg
    thx

hoganpoly wrote: »
    any chance i could hook up with you guys saturday and experiment

set up
    canon 30d
    sigma 70-300 apo dg
    thx