Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is he registered to vote???

Options
  • 15-05-2009 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

Asking on behalf of a mate of mine who is just back from years abroad. He has lived and voted in different consticuencies across the country, but he is wondering who he contacts to find out where he is registered to vote in these upcoming elections and where to get his voting card.

I told him it was the last place he voted but he cant quite recall where that was. Is there anywhere he can contact to straighten it out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

If he's back from years abroad he can reasonably assume his name was wiped out when they did the big clearout about two years back.

Get him to download the form linked to from this post for people who aren't on the register, go to his local garda station today or tomorrow and get the form to his local authority post-haste. Despite the technical date for the close-off of additions being today, it's been publicised that they'll take them till Monday so let's hope that they meant it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

sceptre wrote: »
    If he's back from years abroad he can reasonably assume his name was wiped out when they did the big clearout about two years back

I left Ireland fully in 1994 and came back in 2005. Was still registered at the 1994 address when I returned (which I changed afterwards of course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

sceptre wrote: »
    Get him to download the form linked to from this post for people who aren't on the register, go to his local garda station today or tomorrow and get the form to his local authority post-haste. Despite the technical date for the close-off of additions being today, it's been publicised that they'll take them till Monday so let's hope that they meant it.

I did the above to be on the supplement register last week at a new address(as i was knocked off it before as i kept moving addresses, my new address is a stable one now :)).

Thing is, how do you know if you are on the register at all after submitting the form(RFA2)? I've checked www.checktheregister.ie and i am still not on it despite sending the form Garda stamped in last Wednesday.

Do they(council) send out a letter confirming it or is it just a case of turning up to vote at the polling booth and hope you are on the register?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

Agreed. Why do they make this so difficult?

Just out of curiosity I checked that website too and I am not on it either???

Advertisement