Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lock for french door

• 15-05-2009 11:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to get a lock for the back door on my house, it's a double door but only one door opens during typical use, the other door can only be opened when the first door is open and some additional locks are opened in the door frame (standard enough door).

So I'd like to add a lock to the main door, one that does not look too bad but locks to the frame or the floor. It will not need to be accessed from the outside (thats the whole point TBH) I just want something to do the same job as a bolt, but it will have a key, it's just to help prevent the door being opened in 30 sec by having an extra lock only accessible from the inside.

I've included a pic of the door.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

hi stoner I see your in D7, If you drop in to central key on north fredrick street near parnell sq , the lads in there are very helpful and should sort you out,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

I have the exact same setup as you.

If you look closely at the opening side you regularly use, it locks when you lift the handle and turn the key to lock. When you turn the handle up you engage at least 3 notches on the frame to the other door and a bolt locks upward into the door frame at the very top and another bolt shoots down into the door frame at the very bottom. - thats 5 different locking points plus the normal lock bolt that goes accross into the other door at the key lock, so 6 locking points.

I got 2 different door and window firms to call out to my place to let tell me how i could "beef up" the doors as there has been a spate of break ins in our area recently.

Both firms told me on this particular door, the best way was to change the lock barrel (where the key goes in) to a (feck! i cant think of the name!), but it was a key barrel that has a special key that comes with a "key code card" for re ordering new/lost keys from the lock manufacturer. Also, if i changed the locks on the other two entrance doors in the house with this type of lock, the one key would do all 3 doors.

Maybe someone here could tell us the type of barrel im talking about as for the life of me i cant remember!

Anyways, stoner... i am going to go for this on all 3 doors (about 100 euro per door, but if you think about it, your door is very secure with 6 locking points, but the key barrel can be broken out very easily on bog standard pvc door locks!

Hope this helps and hopefully someone here will remind me of the name of the barrel lock i am on about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

how does the new barrel with the key code card avoid the ease of access/weakness issue u already highlight

u can get 3 barrels the same for 30 euro a door

Carlow52 wrote: »
    how does the new barrel with the key code card avoid the ease of access/weakness issue u already highlight

u can get 3 barrels the same for 30 euro a door

A door is only as secure as the lock on it.

if there is 6 point locking on the door, the door is very secure and it is going to be near impossible to "jimmy" the door open with a crowbar etc. But a cheap standard barrel can be drilled or picked in minutes thus rendering the door open within minutes and the 6 point locking no good as the barrel is broken out or snapped

Im not getting into a debate here on the ins and outs of locks and barrels - (i aint a locksmith)... i am only informing stoner with the information i have first hand. (its only right that i help out a fellow boardsie like stoner, with a query when i have been helped out by stoner on many queries of my own.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

thanks for all the info lads, I might pop down to central locks alright,

Access I have already changed the barrels to garrison ones, the same key does my front and back door, like you stated above they can't be pulled out with a grips and even if they get a grip there is a cut in the barrel to allow it to snap off and the lock stays intact in the door.
    I gave the crappy locks that were in the doors away, according to the lock smith and your good self they take about 2 mins to rip out.

However what they don't stop is the technique the s--mbags are using as shown on U tube and where they jam a key in and banjacks the whole thing and the door just opens.. *(according to the lock smith)

Dyno locks changed the locks on the doors for me, they did a decent and professional job

I'd just like something that will lock from the inside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Stoner wrote: »

Access I have already changed the barrels to garrison ones, the same key does my front and back door, like you stated above they can't be pulled out with a grips and even if they get a grip there is a cut in the barrel to allow it to snap off and the lock stays intact in the door.
    I gave the crappy locks that were in the doors away, according to the lock smith and your good self they take about 2 mins to rip out.

However what they don't stop is the technique the s--mbags are using as shown on U tube and where they jam a key in and banjacks the whole thing and the door just opens.. *(according to the lock smith)

Dyno locks changed the locks on the doors for me, they did a decent and professional job

Why not have the outer key entry point brazed over?

My question about paying 100 for a keycode key was based on no information in the post at that point about the barrel being of enhanced quality etc

Carlow52 wrote: »
    Why not have the outer key entry point brazed over?

Good point, my plan was to only use this new lock when we were out of the house or away as getting in and out of the house through that door has been helpful once or twice. So I'd have the door locked with the key most times, but when on holidays etc the bolt mec would be on.

Stoner wrote: »

garrison was the name i was looking for alright.

That good so if you have the locks changed to garrison ones already. I didnt know about the youtube vids though!

Just out of curiosity, can you remember what you were charged for changing the locks to garrisons per door or in total... just so i know if the two firms here are in and around the same price.

And is there any cons, (besides if you lose a key!)

sorry i cant help out with any more info... you're one step ahead of me at least with getting the locks done!

sorry Access, I can't remember, all i know is that with the front and back doors chnaged i needed less keys, each lock came with 2 keys. You should give dyno secure a ring, just reading the number off the keyring 8747844, they quoted me over the phone and I think they have a better system again if you are interested.

There are doors you can by that have a dead bolt system that this nethod can't be used on ( a window supplier told me about it) but my door is only 4 years old and i dont want to change the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Just for the record, I was broken into recently (they pulled / broke the barrell) and had my locks replaced with Garrison locks. As mentioned above, allegedly, they dont break as cleanly as some locks and some of the barrell is left behind making entry harder.

Replacement / extra Garrison keys can be got from Dyno Locks on Capel Street:
    http://www.dynolocks.ie/contact.shtml

12 euro, you just need your PIN/Card.

Muppet Man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

We have a double French double on our house.

However the lock and handle broke a year ago. The only thing that works in it now is the deadbolt.

The entire Handle and lock need replacing however I havn't a clue who to call or where you buy a replacement for a DIY job.

Could anybody help me out?

Advertisement