Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MS Office 2007: Home and Student Edition (3 User Licence) E39.99 Dunnes Ashleaf S.C.

• 15-05-2009 11:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭

Dunnes Stores, Ashleaf S.C., Crumlin Cross, Dublin 12. have this on offer for E39.95 there are about 8 display box's on the shelf in the home office & electronics section in the grocery department on the ground floor.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

pauleoin wrote: »
    Dunnes Stores, Ashleaf S.C., Crumlin Cross, Dublin 12. have this on offer for E39.95 there are about 8 display box's on the shelf in the home office & electronics section in the grocery department on the ground floor.

Nice one- thats less than 1/2 the RRP........ Did you buy one? Is this what you were actually charged? Cheers- Shane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭brophs

None in Carlow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

Cheers, just grabbed one from there at lunchtime - €39.95;
    with
    Word 2007
    Excel 2007
    PowerPoint 2007
    OneNote 2007

no Outlook, Publisher or Access, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭ablelocks

does one need to be a student?

ablelocks wrote: »
    does one need to be a student?

In theory- yes, in practice, no. The 'home and student' licence allows you to install the software on up to 3 machines simultaneously. If you go over the 3 machines- for whatever reason- trouble.

Its more MS trying to get people to use its software than the free alternates that are out there. Nice price though.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭nobeastsofierce

Anyone try price matching this in any of the Big Box Shops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

not to detract from the bargain alert but... have you tried open office? its free - and improving all the time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

not to detract from the bargain alert but... have you tried open office? its free - and improving all the time!
    It's also a piece of ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭recycler1

cork45 wrote: »
    It's also a piece of ****.

@ nice1franko
    Not only is Open Office an excellent office suite, but it is now supported by MS Office 2007. The latest Service Pack (SP2), just released, provides native support for the Open Document Formats (ODF) used by Open Office. (I can confirm that this works well.)

@ cork45;60265496
    I suggest that you are (very) mistaken.
    Open office is now used by government departments and companies through the world - and its influence continues to grow.
    Further information at: http://opendocument.xml.org/book/deployments-public-sector

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

It's my point of view i don't give a toss who uses open office i'm well able to choose for myself instead of using it just because the the public sector is using it, It's still a piece of sh*t

• Advertisement

It's my point of view i don't give a toss who uses open office i'm well able to choose for myself instead of using it just because the the public sector is using it, It's still a piece of sh*t

In your opinion its a piece of sh*t.
    I regularly test software- I'm one of the lucky few who are paid to do so these days. I would have held views not dissimilar to yours until quite recently. I initially started using open office- because iCalc had odbc functionalities not present in Access and other common office products- such as the means to reverse engineer database schematics. The most apt comparison in the Microsoft suite would be Visio- and this is out of the reach of most people- purely on licence cost grounds.......

The current build of Open Office has incorporated new graphics engines with Anti-Aliasing- so graphs rendered are silky smooth. Programmes are far better incorporated with each other- akin to the way MS office products can talk to each other- plus with the latest MS Office SP, and the latest OO build- they can talk to each other without any difficulty whatsoever.......

I use both Open Office and MS Office on a daily basis (on a variety of platforms). Both have their place. Its possible to survive on either- quite happily- I have features in both that I hate more than I can express in words- but both very definitely have their place- its erroneous to write off either one or the other.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Does this apply to all Dunnes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

None available in dunnes in Galway either

• Registered Users Posts: 49 vf949

Got one in Dunnes Crumlin Cross last evening and I'd say still plenty available. Some deal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭denat

I use both open office and ms office daily at a very basic level. My employer provides both and intends to use open office exclusively soon - it's free.

I've had no problems with OO Calc - the Excel equivalent, however I dislike OO Write - the Word equivalent. The main quibble I have with Write is it's onscreen appearance - it's hard to define but, for me, there's just something wrong. Printed documents are fine though - no complaints.

I understand that some printing companies and websites say they have problems with OO documents but maybe this is a deficiency in their own software or an unwillingness to change.

Bottom line is; Open Office does the job for me and it's free. Great for home use. For professional use, and for the moment, I'd like to have MS Office available, just in case I ran into problems with customers/suppliers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Yeah, it's plenty good enough for me too. I'm a software developer so use it regularly enough.

That said, my missus is an accountant so she uses spreadsheets all day. I put OO on her new laptop and she just hates Calc - probably too used Excel.

If I was a student now I'd be using Open Source alternatives where possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭denat

If you choose to throw your money away needlessly, feel free. Some people might have a real need to continue using MSOffice. If you don't, you're as well off p1ssing your money against the wall - since you introduced the toilet analogy.

I'd certainly prefer to see the public sector using free software than paying ludicrous license fees to MS from our taxpayer money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

8 of these still available in Ashleaf SC this evening.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The reason many governments are starting to use OO, is not because it is free, but because the file format is open source and a standard.

With MS Office, there is no guarantee that a document you write today in Office, will continue to work 100 years from now [1]

With OO, even if the software disappears, the full spec for the file formats is still available, so in future the files could be converted to a new file format [2] readable by whatever software we have in a 100 years.

[1] Yes, governments often keep documents for hundreds of years (birth certs, etc.) and it is a great resource for historians. Historians are very worried about the use of proprietary storage, already some data from just 20 years ago can't be read any more, as the readers aren't made any more, many historians worry about a digital dark age.

[2] OO files are just xml files which are zipped up. If you change the OO extension to .zip you can unzip a OO file and look at the xml yourself. From the point of view of a software engineer and for historians this is far easier.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

That said, my missus is an accountant so she uses spreadsheets all day. I put OO on her new laptop and she just hates Calc - probably too used Excel.

I've read reviews by mathematicians which say calc is more powerful and accurate then excel. But if you have been using Excel all day, every day for years, like an accountant, it would be very difficult to change over and probably not worth the time expense.

But for the majority of normal people who only use office apps lightly, OO is perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Thank you OP. I found Ashleaf SC today and got a copy. They had 9 left then.

D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭pansyflower

Can these be used on a network? So could we buy say 4 of them and put them on a 12-machine network? For real students.

Advertisement