Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hybrid Sli is a load of B***s

Options
  • 15-05-2009 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Alright all,

Last night i decided to give hybrid sli a go on a my htpc. The issue I had was that it wouldn't spin the fan on my gpu but there was still power going to it meaning the 8800gts actually got too hot to touch. Anybody have this experience. Personally I'm giving up on it but would like to know if someone did have this issue and resolved it?

Req

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

HybridPower is only compatible with 9800GT and later. Hybrid SLI only works with the 8400GS and 8500GT. Anything else will try to BBQ itself :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

yeah its such a f**ckin nightmare cause its such a good idea that seems to have gone to waste but apparently microsoft are developing their own version. well i guess i'll have to sell the old 8800gts and use its waterblock as a paperweight.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Hang on- why is there a problem with the fan not running if you're on water and thus have no GPU fan to run in the first place? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭thepcgp

Can you post the full details of your system? Motherboard, optical drives, hard drives, processor, graphics card(s), system fans, and most importantly, power supply.

Are you able to feed 3.3V to the graphics card fan to see if it spins? Perhaps the fan is just burnt out. Otherwise this may be a power supply issue, i.e. you don't have enough.

Solitaire wrote: »
    Hang on- why is there a problem with the fan not running if you're on water and thus have no GPU fan to run in the first place? :confused:

No I have a water block for it but i had the reference hsf on the card as its in a htpc build and i sadly can't fit any rads in it
    thepcgp wrote: »
    Can you post the full details of your system? Motherboard, optical drives, hard drives, processor, graphics card(s), system fans, and most importantly, power supply.

Are you able to feed 3.3V to the graphics card fan to see if it spins? Perhaps the fan is just burnt out. Otherwise this may be a power supply issue, i.e. you don't have enough.

Well the power supply is a corsair 750watt and i don't have any way of getting a 3.3V to the graphics card. It was weird cause the card would randomly start spinning when I had it installed but only now and again. I'm going to throw it into one of the pcs in my house this week and see if it spins up, if not, i might do a mod job on it with a 120 mm fan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

requiem1 wrote: »
    It was weird cause the card would randomly start spinning when I had it installed but only now and again. I'm going to throw it into one of the pcs in my house this week and see if it spins up, if not, i might do a mod job on it with a 120 mm fan

Try using Rivaturner to control the fan speed.

Changed the cooler on my 4870 and the new cooler's fan would work hooked directly to the gfx card. (Arctic Cooling Accellero Twin Turbo)

On startup the fan would spin up and then stop dead.

Used riva turner with the fans still hooked to the gfx card directly: fans now work properly.

basic guide on howto use riva:
    http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalog/technical_support.php?cid=2&pid=101&part_id=178&aid=497&language=en

Without using Riva the card just wouldn't regulate the fans properly even though they were getting enough power through the gfx card to run.

i would give it a go.

uberpixie wrote: »
    Try using Rivaturner to control the fan speed.

Changed the cooler on my 4870 and the new cooler's fan would work hooked directly to the gfx card. (Arctic Cooling Accellero Twin Turbo)

On startup the fan would spin up and then stop dead.

Used riva turner with the fans still hooked to the gfx card directly: fans now work properly.

basic guide on howto use riva:
    http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalog/technical_support.php?cid=2&pid=101&part_id=178&aid=497&language=en

Without using Riva the card just wouldn't regulate the fans properly even though they were getting enough power through the gfx card to run.

i would give it a go.

Yeah that was my initial planning however stupid vista was complaining that the drivers weren't signed but i'll give it a go on one of the other systems and if it spins at boot up i'm happy to sell it on, along with the reams of other computer stuff occupying my house.

Anybody know where i can get something like a molex to gpu fan header just in case it is screwed? that or a 3 pin fan header to gpu fan header converter thingy? (I believe that's the proper technical term)

Anybody know where i can get something like a molex to gpu fan header just in case it is screwed? that or a 3 pin fan header to gpu fan header converter thingy? (I believe that's the proper technical term)

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/fullimage.php?image=12952

Look at the molex yoke at the bottom of the picture.
    got x1 with my Accelero.

As to where you would actually buy one? :confused:

Thanks bro much appreciated, i'd say maplins will probably have one or ebay if not but first things first I need to see if it operates normally and then go to new measures to cool it

Thanks bro much appreciated, i'd say maplins will probably have one or ebay if not but first things first I need to see if it operates normally and then go to new measures to cool it

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=98840
    Might do the trick.

• Advertisement
Advertisement