Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recipes without oinions or "chunky" bits

• 15-05-2009 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Robin132

Ok bit of a tough one (i think anyway!) basically i'm looking for ideas for dinners that dont include onions or really any veg of any sort :rolleyes: potatoes, mushrooms, peas and sweetcorn are ok but thats about it (maybe some carrots). I used to use jars like dolmio etc but they have chunky bits in them which he wont eat (same with the curry's etc) so is there any one who can give me recipes for the likes of curry without the onions (i think you need them for taste but i need to find away around this) and most other vegetables. i know most people will say just cut out the stuff he wont eat but it takes a lot of the taste away too..... thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

You could still use the jars but just blitz them with a handheld blender first.

Other than that you could blitz small amounts of the onions or veg he won't eat and keep it in a container in the fridge and use when needed.

Other than that if it's for instance a tomato type sauce or a curry that you are making, then cut an onion in half, rub it around the pan well and then use the pan. You get the flavour then without the bits. I'm guessing from your post that the flavour is okay as long as there are no bits?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Robin132

yup the flavour is fine its just the bits. I'm also trying to get away from using jars... i want to cook food from scratch, it always so much nicer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

Then just use any recipe and blitz :D

Leave the 'allowed' veg whole and blitz the rest into a sauce. You can't go wrong curry wise with something like onions, garlic, cumin, paprika, turmeric, chilli's (paste or sliced) and a tin of coconut milk and some stock. Boil them all up til the onion is soft and pour it over veg, meat, whatever for a curry.

Pasta sauce is the same...tin of tomatoes, some puree, a little sugar, onions, garlic and maybe a little chilli, boil it, then blitz it.

I wouldn't turn this into a industry for yourself tbh. Just follow normal recipes and either blitz the disliked chunky veg into a puree and add or if it's just something like onion, then use it as a flavouring by rubbing it in the pan first. You can do the same with garlic...it'll add the flavour but not the intensity.

only problem is i dont have a food processor or anything really like that nor do i really want to invest in one at the moment and i'm jsut trying to get something different to make

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Robin132 wrote: »
    only problem is i dont have a food processor or anything really like that nor do i really want to invest in one at the moment and i'm jsut trying to get something different to make

You can get small handblenders for less than 20 quid which will do the job. Unless you want to chop everything into nano-chunks. You're not going to get much flavour sans bits.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

olaola wrote: »
    You can get small handblenders for less than 20 quid which will do the job. Unless you want to chop everything into nano-chunks. You're not going to get much flavour sans bits.

Like olaola said, hand blenders can be very cheap, dunnes sell one for 8.50, argos have one for 7.50 and im sure tesco also sell a similarly priced model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Sorry if this seems like a daft question, but are you feeding an adult or a toddler?
    If it is an adult then I suggest getting them to pick out the bits if they don't like it, If you are feeding a toddler then I would buy a handblender as they are great for preparing foods now and into the future.
    Rather than just getting a stickblender try and get one that has a blender attachment they are much more versatile.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Sorry if this seems like a daft question, but are you feeding an adult or a toddler?
    If it is an adult then I suggest getting them to pick out the bits if they don't like it, If you are feeding a toddler then I would buy a handblender as they are great for preparing foods now and into the future.
    Rather than just getting a stickblender try and get one that has a blender attachment they are much more versatile.
    Not a daft question at all, i would be wondering the same myself :D its an adult (if it was a toddler i'd be making them eat their veg!!!). The problem with picking bits out is it really does take away any enjoyment of eating the food hence why i'm trying to cook things without them.
    I just realised i do have a stick blender at home :o but would never have considered using this... i always considered a blender to be one like a jug (you know the ones i mean) i might give blending some of them a try. thanks guys :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

just cook two batches 1 nice one for you and 1 minging bland version for the other person.

I have a rule when i cook at home. when i cook you eat what I eat otherwise cook for yourself.

my wife has some fussy friends but they tend not to be too fussy when im cooking. if you dont like it dont eat it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 simsim

he doesnt eat meat too ?
    why dont you make a roasted chicken pieces with rice or steak ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Just liquidise as mentioned. My brother balks at the sight of onions or if he found one in a curry yet loves curry sauce which is very oniony. I know 2 other mates who order curry from the chinese "with no onions", and again it is loaded with them. Weird psychological thing, I love winding them up, "mmm you can really taste the onions, can't you", they go mental in denial sometimes, very odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Grate the onions instead of chopping, that way you have the flavour in the dish but not the lumps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

It's often moreso the texture of an onion, I hate them unless fried or I can dice them down small enough I don't notice them, especially in pasta sauces and the like. Carrots I'd be the same if not worse with. Horrible texture and taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,054 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

simsim wrote: »
    he doesnt eat meat too ?
    why dont you make a roasted chicken pieces with rice or steak ?

I'm gonna guess that this person doesn't eat rice either!

OP Cow & Gate do a good range of ready meals that should be suitable for this person.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

OP Cow & Gate do a good range of ready meals that should be suitable for this person.!

and you could feed him while playing aeroplanes:D

ah open up heres the plane ah your a good boy eatn all your baby food:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

My suggestion would be to find a new boyfriend.

Jesus Christ, no way could I be dealing with a finicky eater like that. It's actually one of my pet hates in people. So juvenile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Honey-ec wrote: »
    My suggestion would be to find a new boyfriend.

Jesus Christ, no way could I be dealing with a finicky eater like that. It's actually one of my pet hates in people. So juvenile.
    +1000

Anyone in my household who behaved like that around food would be looking for somewhere else to live very soon. I assumed when I read the first post that it was a 2 year old child we were talking about here not a supposed "grown-up".

Ever watch "Freaky Eaters" on BBC3? That's the way you're heading if you pander to this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I'm with the last three, I'd give him a good kick in the h0le and tell him he should be happy that someone is going to the effort to make them food in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭thebullkf

+1

• I agree about picky eaters - so immature. Everyone has something they hate, but those people who dislike absolutely everything are so irritating. However, perhaps there is a genuine reason like illness/disability or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

This really is unbelievable stuff, I thought my house mate was bad; he's never eaten an apple/pear/potato/onion for example and mushrooms make up about 90% of his diet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,054 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If I'm honest, I was a very picky eater as a child.

I'd eat any meat, very plain white fish,potatoes, carrots, green beans, sweetcorn and that was about it!!
    No tomatoes, onions, rice, cheese,anything in a sauce (except my mothers stew).

Thing is, I used to complain about tomatoes and onions in things like stew and shepherd's pie but I didn't have a choice - only one pot was made for the family.

And the other thing is - I grew out of it and discovered the joy of food and cooking!!!

Despite my past (or maybe because of it) I have no time for very picky eaters - those who don't like things without tasting them.

I also find it odd that fussy children seem to universally love pizza.
    When I was a kid I wouldn't have eaten pizza for love nor money!!!

Advertisement