Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A little story I call it "Does it bother you" No pics included

• 15-05-2009 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭

Just day dreamin here passing time and this popped into my head.

About a week ago a I was floating around DunLoaghaire / Bulloch Harbour area and there were about , ya know , a million people walking about the place with cameras.

Now Id be a chatty type person so generally if someone was daudling(sp?) close by Id strike up a chat, "hey what you got on there" , "nice evenin for it", "ya want a biscuit and some diluted orange flavoured drink?" whatever, ye get the point.

So myself and this chap were havin a great chin wag when this other lad arrives, he has what can only be described as a feckin haymes of an amount of gear all strapped into one of these wheely cases....Ok says I to meself each to their own but a little over the top there... so the other lad Im chatting with proceeds to talk to this lad as we've been doin. Small talk and little jokes? Well, when I say the fella looked like some one had just pissed in his cornflakes.... Im not kiddin ya it was gas... he packed up his wagon and scuttled off down the pier with meself and the other lad in bits laughin.

So , I was thinking this chap with all his gear didnt fancy talkin to amatuer plebs like ourselves and he obviuosly fancies himself as a "real photographer"...its must be a terrible world he finds himself in when on any given street there's a DSLR enthusiast on the prowl....stalkin an unsuspecting world with an overpriced lense and a machine they know next to nothing about:pac:. Id imagine there are a lot of serious heads on here so.... does it bother you when people try and talk to you about your gear , the light , whats your lense all that jazz?.

I find people respond well to chocolate chip cookies by the way.

All the best
    Trev

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I guess he just wanted time to himself?
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

I don't mind at all when people come up to talk to me about anything camera related. Even last week in the media room in the RDS, one of the guys came up to me and asked me what I shoot with and where is the best place to get gear etc.

There's no harm in acknowledging someone instead of being a grumpy auld you know what. I deal with enough of them on a day to day basis when shooting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Trev M wrote: »
    does it bother you when people try and talk to you about your gear , the light , whats your lense all that jazz?.

Not at all. I love talking to other photographers, people who have an interest in cameras.

Sometimes, when out, you see someone else with an SLR, and there's a little nod between you. A sort of camera hello.

You can get in to some very interesting conversations when out, about cameras, lenses, ideas, etc. We can all learn more, and we all have something to teach too. You can pick up good tips and tricks from total strangers at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

It was you wasnt it?:pac::pac:
    Cabaal wrote: »
    I guess he just wanted time to himself?
    :pac:

Yeah ,ya see generally this is what I find with other people I meet who are taking pictures. I find the majority of "camera people" to be very sociable charachters....which to me is a little surprising cause Ive always considered Photographers kinda tortured artists if ya get me....I know its a huge generalisation there.. Since Ive started taking pics very recently , nearly every pre concpetion Ive had about photography has proved to be wrong hahah.

Paulw wrote: »
    Not at all. I love talking to other photographers, people who have an interest in cameras.

Sometimes, when out, you see someone else with an SLR, and there's a little nod between you. A sort of camera hello.

You can get in to some very interesting conversations when out, about cameras, lenses, ideas, etc. We can all learn more, and we all have something to teach too. You can pick up good tips and tricks from total strangers at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

I'm only an enthusiastic amateur, but I love chatting "Camera" stuff, and like you, could chat rubbish all day :D

But, I guess you need to pick the right time .........

3532653993_213b30475c_o.jpg

:D:D;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It was you wasnt it?:pac::pac:

lol, nope
    Never actually been up around the Dun Loaghaire :(

I've no problem with people coming up to me and talking to me, is always nice to have a chat

mrmac wrote: »
    I'm only an enthusiastic amateur, but I love chatting "Camera" stuff, and like you, could chat rubbish all day :D

But, I guess you need to pick the right time .........

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2081/3532653993_213b30475c_o.jpg

:D:D;)

Tap tap .... Alright mate , where could a fella get one of those jackets hahah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I'm always up for a chat, if I get pro i'll still always be very talkative.

You have to understand that the chap was probably on a deadline or needed a certain shot

Tap tap .... Alright mate , where could a fella get one of those jackets hahah

LOL - love that!

I think that you have to keep your sense of humour with photography, it helps when you make a mess of a shot!

• Advertisement

Perhaps you're right , I didnt get the impression he was on any deadline ...... maybe Im being a little harsh.

Let me ask you this.

Have you ever been in a position were your in work say, all of a sudden someone asks you a question you know nothing about?

For some unknown reason ya start to babble absolute garbage and stare intently at the subject matter, youre thinkin "what the hell am I doin", "what does all this crap do?"..... well if youve ever been in that situation you'll get were Im goin with this story , I think the character in question was a bit full of wind steam and ehhh his own importance.

Again though....perhaps youre right and Im being too harsh hehe

Tallon wrote: »
    I'm always up for a chat, if I get pro i'll still always be very talkative.

You have to understand that the chap was probably on a deadline or needed a certain shot

Thats true too, but then he doesn't want to seem like he doesn't know, so best to just leg-it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

Just day dreamin here passing time and this popped into my head.

About a week ago a I was floating around DunLoaghaire / Bulloch Harbour area and there were about , ya know , a million people walking about the place with cameras.

Now Id be a chatty type person so generally if someone was daudling(sp?) close by Id strike up a chat, "hey what you got on there" , "nice evenin for it", "ya want a biscuit and some diluted orange flavoured drink?" whatever, ye get the point.

So myself and this chap were havin a great chin wag when this other lad arrives, he has what can only be described as a feckin haymes of an amount of gear all strapped into one of these wheely cases....Ok says I to meself each to their own but a little over the top there... so the other lad Im chatting with proceeds to talk to this lad as we've been doin. Small talk and little jokes? Well, when I say the fella looked like some one had just pissed in his cornflakes.... Im not kiddin ya it was gas... he packed up his wagon and scuttled off down the pier with meself and the other lad in bits laughin.

So , I was thinking this chap with all his gear didnt fancy talkin to amatuer plebs like ourselves and he obviuosly fancies himself as a "real photographer"...its must be a terrible world he finds himself in when on any given street there's a DSLR enthusiast on the prowl....stalkin an unsuspecting world with an overpriced lense and a machine they know next to nothing about:pac:. Id imagine there are a lot of serious heads on here so.... does it bother you when people try and talk to you about your gear , the light , whats your lense all that jazz?.

I find people respond well to chocolate chip cookies by the way.

All the best
    Trev

A great post. I seem to have the sort of face that inspires people to tell me their life story. And it has turned out to be an asset when taking photos.

Not only do I not mind people talking to me, I have approached photographers on the street when what they are doing seems to be of interest.

Some years ago I even had a person ask me if I wanted to taked a photo of "the most handsome man here"... himself...

:D:D yeah , that why we were laughin , again I dont wish to be mean but it was kinda odd and got me thinkin. Its the simple things that amuse me:D

I must add at this point that Im a complete imbicile and what I know about photography could be put on a single piece of jax role.... triple ply mind you ....none or yer cheap Aldi stuff.

Thats true too, but then he doesn't want to seem like he doesn't know, so best to just leg-it

I know for sporting events, when guys have deadlines, they tend to be much less talkative. Also, the professionals tend to be quiet until they get to know you, or at least see you at a few events.

I would tend to be the same, but I'd always say hello, and if asked a question, I'd try to respond.

You have to find the line between having a chat, and distracting/disturbing someone.

Much more casual though out for landscape images, etc.

Thats Gas..... my best mate often says Im like fly paper for lunatics ... I always attract the odd balls . in fairness this lads came over to us and listened in on our waffle for a while...so ya know....caveat emptor or insert appropriate Cliche....jaysus Im like ronan keating on gift grub today.

Anouilh wrote: »
    A great post. I seem to have the sort of face that inspires people to tell me their life story. And it has turned out to be an asset when taking photos.

Not only do I not mind people talking to me, I have approached photographers on the street when what they are doing seems to be of interest.

Some years ago I even had a person ask me if I wanted to taked a photo of "the most handsome man here"... himself...

Ah yeah I accept of course what your saying...to put it in context though this was a casual evening arsin around ...

Id still have found out were that other lad got his jacket though....

I know for sporting events, when guys have deadlines, they tend to be much less talkative. Also, the professionals tend to be quiet until they get to know you, or at least see you at a few events.

I would tend to be the same, but I'd always say hello, and if asked a question, I'd try to respond.

You have to find the line between having a chat, and distracting/disturbing someone.

Much more casual though out for landscape images, etc.

Ah yeah I accept of course what your saying...to put it in context though this was a casual evening arsin around ...

Id still have found out were that other lad got his jacket though....

;) The answer about the jacket is that it's handed out to press as part of their media pack, for accredited photographers.

Yeah, the casual situation does tend to give more scope for conversation and exchange of ideas/information.

Oooooooooo:p

"Accredited Photographers"

Yeah I figured that, Id like a jacket for all the bits and bobs, tend to be pricey though...Of course I need bits and bobs first ....jacket later, then "accreditaion" and then.....finally ....when I have reached a stage of complete and perfect self actualisation I will smite all the amatuer pee-ons just as I have been smoted(figuratively speaking of course).... and thus the ever continuing never ending cycle of life continues.

Oooooooooo:p

"Accredited Photographers"

Yeah I figured that, Id like a jacket for all the bits and bobs, tend to be pricey though...Of course I need bits and bobs first ....jacket later, then "accreditaion" and then.....finally ....when I have reached a stage of complete and perfect self actualisation I will smite all the amatuer pee-ons just as I have been smoted(figuratively speaking of course).... and thus the ever continuing never ending cycle of life continues.

Actually, I have one of such jackets (not with big FIA or anything on it), and it cost me $30. I'll see if I can dig up where I got it from. Brilliant for walking about with gear, and better than using a bag.

• Advertisement

Sound.. that'd be great if you could pass on the info.... yeah the bag is a bit of a hassle , I hate having it hangin out of me...I need to be loose man....free to express my creativity...heh no more coffee for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Trev M - happiest man on the photography forum? :p

Here you go - http://www.procameragear.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=30

Make sure you order a larger size than normal. eg - normally I wear "L" jackets, but with this, I ordered "XL". Gives you room to wear a jacket under this, and also gives more room for lenses, etc.

Yes , my friends , I have arrived to shine a beam of happiness upon you all...my musings and ramblings are endless on a friday.

Here you go - http://www.procameragear.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=30

Make sure you order a larger size than normal. eg - normally I wear "L" jackets, but with this, I ordered "XL". Gives you room to wear a jacket under this, and also gives more room for lenses, etc.

Fair play much appreciated...cheap as cheaps just like ya saidn too!

Check out any local fishing sports shops. They have fishing waistcoats, between €10 - €40, that are ideal, and exactly the same as the pro gear stuff. Have a look on fleabay for "fishing waistcoat" :)

hahah fleabay - you make purchasing an article of clothing sound so appealing.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Didja ever notice how small the small talk can be, though?

Was out with the camera in the Phoenix park one day and a chap passed me with his SLR and we did the whole 'nod' thing. We met again and it got a bit arkward as he wanted to say something.

"...that's a lovely tree over there", he said pointing to a very ordinary looking tree.

And I had to respond to that! :pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I get approached a fair bit to be honest, like Anoulih, I attract them.

I actually love to have a proper chat about photography with someone who knows what they are talking about, sometimes I can give them tips and they can give me tips, works out great, what irritates the hell out of me is someone who THINKS they know what they are talking about and are all on about my mate has this and my mate said that, now that drives me insane.

I remember someone saying that a friend of his who uses a Nikon d700 has always used digital and never film although he has been in photography for circa 40 years as far as I recall. I responded by saying well what did he shoot with before digital as digital only came about in the last 10 years and I was told he shot with those hassle things, never film. 'This bloke is the real deal' I was told! I remember just walking away thinking, yes and pigs can fly! Now correct me if I'm wrong but even in the 70's these cameras worked with film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I just seem to attract the ordinary joe soap non photography mad men ... Conversation usually starts with them ambling up to me, with only 1 eye open to get a better view and then asking ... "Is that for d'telly ... when will it be on"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    I just seem to attract the ordinary joe soap non photography mad men ... Conversation usually starts with them ambling up to me, with only 1 eye open to get a better view and then asking ... "Is that for d'telly ... when will it be on"

lol I constantly get, which paper am I going to be in:D

Heh some people are ****e hawks with the waffle alright, I tend to be very up fornt very early in the encounter

"How are ya getting on, im talkin shots about 3 months , im trying out this new lense its a blah blah"...im tryin to get a nice sunset (zzzz) and some sneaky shots of the asian wimmins" ;).... ya know cut straight to the chase and it avoids getting that awkward nice tree comment.... if you think someone is full of **** , just tell them not to mention theyve seen you as the court order is still in force until your appeal date come through....that'll scarper them.

Trev M: I wanna go taking pictures with your, your awesome :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

Trev M: I wanna go taking pictures with your, your awesome :p

+1 to that!!!! :D

I'm not one for fancy gear. I prefer to spend more time on WHAT I'm shooting and HOW I'm going to shoot it than what I'm going to shoot it WITH. In my experience through the years I've come to the conclusion that some ''photographers'' are ''photographers'' cause it's an industry they can brag about the amount of gear they have. The amount of gear you have doesn't always guarantee you're a good photographer though.*

I've witnessed some ''photographers'' that take an eternity taking all their fancy schmancy ying-yangs** and sproogles** and wot-nots** out of their €500 camera bag just to choose a body and a lens. Earlier this year I stumbled on a protest rally and as I ambled back to the car to get my camera noticed a local pro arriving at the scene. I had returned, taken a good few shots, spoken to some of the protestors and was beginning to follow the march round the corner when the ''pro'' was still there, wrestling with all sorts of doo-hickeys** and thingy-ma-jigs**... I apologise for this in advance but he just looked like such a muppet. :rolleyes:

* I do not claim to be a better photgrapher than anyone with thousands and thousands of € worth of kit. I do however claim not to be worse. :p

**These are not actual names of photographic items.

You should write professional disclaimers

You have more asterix in there than an obelix comic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

You should write professional disclaimers

You have more asterix in there than an obelix comic

The award for ''Best use of an Obelix Comic reference'' goes to....**

**Tallon :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Actually I just remembered the one and only conversation I ever had with a full time pro ... he walked up to me and said ... "Your depriving me of a living"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I've chatted to a good few photographers(pro and not pro) before,During half time etc,But wouldn't even consider talking to them while the race/game is on,For one thing it's what they're there to do and two if they are polite they might talk to you for abit and miss the money shot.

When i was an the munster training session a few weeks ago i was in the terraces i was just framing a shot for a lineout when i heard a man next to me saying "If you ask him i'm sure he'll show you" Seconds later i got a tap on the elbow and a kid asked me if he could see some shots,I showed him and while i was scrolling through the pics i watched the last lineout be thrown and then the team move away :pac: I was slightly annoyed as i wanted to get a good shot of it but i decided to be polite.

Since then i've always considered before talking to a photographer if they're waiting to get the perfect shot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Actually I just remembered the one and only conversation I ever had with a full time pro ... he walked up to me and said ... "Your depriving me of a living"

Daft... the equivalent of a chef being annoyed because you know how to cook.

Ricky91t wrote: »
    I was slightly annoyed as i wanted to get a good shot of it but i decided to be polite.

I would have dealt with it differently. I would have said that I'd show him when I'm finished, and then taken the shots needed.

You can never recapture a missed moment, but you can always go back and show someone an image you captured earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I just love winding anal or gear precious photographers up.

"So, I've got a 1Ds MkIII and love using my 70-200 2.8L on it - It's suuuper sharp and autofocuses in milliseconds"

Me: "Oh... that's nice. I like using my holga"

Or just not saying anything, they'll usually make some reference to my "old cameras" or "Film - they still use that?"

Shur everyone knows film Hasselblads can't take good photographs anymore, they were superceded. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

....none or yer cheap Aldi stuff.

You obviously havnt tried the triple ply aloe vera then..........luxury personified:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I would have dealt with it differently. I would have said that I'd show him when I'm finished, and then taken the shots needed.

You can never recapture a missed moment, but you can always go back and show someone an image you captured earlier.

Had plenty of images i was happy with beforehand,And made the kid happy :pac:

If i was getting paid or planning to sell images or on the sideline it would of been different though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

I remember someone saying that a friend of his who uses a Nikon d700 has always used digital and never film although he has been in photography for circa 40 years as far as I recall. I responded by saying well what did he shoot with before digital as digital only came about in the last 10 years and I was told he shot with those hassle things, never film. 'This bloke is the real deal' I was told! I remember just walking away thinking, yes and pigs can fly! Now correct me if I'm wrong but even in the 70's these cameras worked with film.

Sort of an side-note to this thread.

First digital SLR here (c1991) - and it's not Canon :

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/Kodak/index.htm

The portable Digital Storage Unit had a gigantic 200 megabyte disk for storage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

hmmm when i'm out with a SLR, i find you do get people engaging with you some ok others like, i could do without at times! people seem to be more disposed to you in these situations - like posing or offering advise both genuine, usless or imaterial.

I like to use my little P&S too, out and about -nobody ever engages and generally ignore me or some (with bigger cameras) stare with disdain.

oh well :)

Just remembered I posted up this waffle, jaysus some great replies thanks for everyone chippin in, I dont feel so bad now heheh ....And yeah eh Im up for going out in to the world with anyone shooting stuff up, cynics , strange people who like to sit outside prisons, come one an all ... Im southside so anyone wants to meet up great stuff , I'll bring the rohypn.....I mean watery diluted orange drink :D(too much??).....

Rainbowsend..... Triple ply aloe vera?... Thats some serious ass pamperin going on there, only the best for your rainbows end then !!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭l pearse

RT-Ontario-Jacket_web.jpgIs that a lens in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me....:? :confused: (£50)

I cant help but feel Ive brought the tone of the board down here :rolleyes::pac:

Thanks for the link that Jacket actually looks pretty cool

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I cant help but feel Ive brought the tone of the board down here :rolleyes::pac:

Thanks for the link that Jacket actually looks pretty cool

Except for the bit about people outside prisons it was fine.

The other day while waiting on the East Link for The Samuel Becket bridge a chap in his mid 60's cycled up to me, points and laughs 'heh mine cost 20k and yours cost 4 and 6' (he had no camera with him and I had a box Brownie). I stared him up and down and then blew smoke in his face. Moments later I pulled an Olympus Trip from the pocket and he starts smirking again 'ah jayzuz now what've we got' he said. I said (with voice rising) - 'well you probably miss out on a lot of good shots because you're f-ing looking in the wrong direction!) I flicked my cigarette at him and roared 'NOW F!!! OFF'. I last saw him wobbling around the roundabout in a flutter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

humberklog wrote: »
    The other day while waiting on the East Link for The Samuel Becket bridge a chap in his mid 60's cycled up to me, points and laughs 'heh mine cost 20k and yours cost 4 and 6' (he had no camera with him and I had a box Brownie). I stared him up and down and then blew smoke in his face. Moments later I pulled an Olympus Trip from the pocket and he starts smirking again 'ah jayzuz now what've we got' he said. I said (with voice rising) - 'well you probably miss out on a lot of good shots because you're f-ing looking in the wrong direction!) I flicked my cigarette at him and roared 'NOW F!!! OFF'. I last saw him wobbling around the roundabout in a flutter.

I am glad to have finally met you in person at last ...! that was me -- :pac:

joking aside. I'd have more than likely wanted a spin off the box brownie.. as for the olympus trip, have one on the table at the moment awaiting new seals, still in their packet. - which I will get around too one day. As I know they have a brilliant lens.

I find old cameras tend to attract more attention. I would often be out with an old folder or a TLR or some crazy voigtlander - they made some really fun stuff. This has two reactions. DSLR users generally give it a dismissive look and seem to be threatened, a fleeting fear they might be missing something crosses their face. Or it might be that seeing a film user makes them feel less authentic.. i dunno.
    Joe Public just want a look with the odd one going " my dad had one of them .." and then you get that with a kind of wonderment and question are you too poor to buy a digital camera?

• Advertisement
Advertisement