Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A little story I call it "Does it bother you" No pics included

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

What a nice thread to read.
    First - talking to other photographers. I must say that most of the time it is nice to talk to other people with cameras. Especially when I see that they know what they are doing. However there are few snobs too. Especially when I was out "only" with my film camera. I had to reply to one of those snobs that I keep exercising dynamic range of the film to have it in eye for medium format camera. That helped, although I was not very honest.
    For the second, I do understand duty of photographer and I am not ashamed to ask for patience till I get the shot(s) I need. It can be said politely.
    The third issue is badge. I do not like badges, but something very very small attached to the camera should do the trick. It happened on many occasions that I saw pictures of the same event by other boardsies, but I didn't know them in person to talk to them. And there are quite few people I would like to meet and chat with. That is my understanding, that having some mini-badge could increase off-line communication with people here.

So, when are we going to pub again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

course there is the question - would one always want to be identified as a boards member :p - jk

i'm among other things a biker!! and the same thing happens on the road - that nod to a fellow motorcyclist, its an acknowledgement of sorts that we have the same interest etc. often if i'm parked the same thing will happen, other bike owners will sometimes come over and chat.
    I think the same often happens with people with cameras - sometimes they'll chat other times not, doesn't really bother me one way or another.

As far as a badge is concerned I think this was discussed a few years ago but never came to anything, not an awful idea! and its not like you wouldn't acknowledge a non Boards photographer, right? I dunno if it'd be much advantage down my part of the country coz there doesn't seem to be that many on from here.

Anyway i still have all the vector graphics for the Boards Photography logo so the design could be developed from those, they could be produced in different colours, shapes etc. The construction could be either embroidered which can be taken from computer generated graphics or screen printed which would yield pretty good results too, personally i'd go for embroidery which would be hard wearing and durable. I'd suggest maybe a light coloured logo on a dark background and the reverse as well to give peeps a choice or get the strap itself embroidered with the logo.

and at the end of the day, it's all about choice isn't it? like you dont have to have it and no one will think bad of you because of your choice.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Fionn wrote: »
    Anyway i still have all the vector graphics for the Boards Photography logo so the design could be developed from those, they could be produced in different colours, shapes etc. The construction could be either embroidered which can be taken from computer generated graphics or screen printed which would yield pretty good results too, personally i'd go for embroidery which would be hard wearing and durable. I'd suggest maybe a light coloured logo on a dark background and the reverse as well to give peeps a choice or get the strap itself embroidered with the logo.

Excellent idea. I suppose someone will have to get back on costs (red_ice?) and then we can just run a poll to see what people want. Not sure how we'd all pay (paypal?) but I'm sure we can steal the logistics from whatever the cyclists did :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

It's totally elitist, of course. Well, if you make people do some sort of death defying initiation ritual before you let them have a badge, that is.

Alternatively, you could wear this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

AnCatDubh wrote:
    That was my chat up line to Trish. Slick eh? I kid you not but lets just say she's now a moderator :eek:

With your wife and small army of kids standing beside you... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

elven wrote: »
    It's totally elitist, of course. Well, if you make people do some sort of death defying initiation ritual before you let them have a badge, that is.

Alternatively, you could wear this.

I dunno, sometimes I get annoyed when my complete misanthropy is confused with shyness. Now get off my lawn ! damn kids ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

This has to be one of the most fun and comical threads in a while ... aside from a few who view us as trying to be elitest. :D

So, aside from the badge idea ... we now need an elitest initiation rite, before we can talk to people. All non-members of our new elitest group must be shunned. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I've wandered up to a few photogs before and started conversations, I've also wandered up to photogs and asked were they on boards, to which I got a look that said "bord what you say get thee away"

I think the badge idea is nice, I can understand how it could be percived as elitist, but then people may just turn and ask what's this boards business where can i sign up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Paulw wrote: »
    So, aside from the badge idea ... we now need an elitest initiation rite, before we can talk to people. All non-members of our new elitest group must be shunned. :cool:

Absolutely. Right. Let's get this initiation together :pac:

Also, we need elitest badges in our sig's too, just in case there's any confusion online :pac:
    ...but then people may just turn and ask what's this boards business where can i sign up.
    Absolutely, I mean, it's good promotion for Boards aswell imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

and the same thing happens on the road - that nod to a fellow motorcyclist, its an acknowledgement of sorts that we have the same interest etc.

I did feel obliged to explain in the admin's drop box when requesting usage of the branding that when a photographer checks out another photographers gear - there is nothing sexual to it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Any updates?

I'm literally about to topple over the edge of my seat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

artyeva wrote: »
    When I was in Galway a few weeks ago, down past Salthill I saw a *gorgeous* young fella snapping away at the view I was... he had his smugmug strap....as did I.....

....but I didn't say anything.... :o

That would have been Mike then :P

I think a badge is a great idea :) Countless times I've been out and thought I recognised people from shots here but didn't have the gumption to ask. I think it'd ben great for us shy (ahem..) people. Maybe we could mention the year book? I'm on that buzz now with the pinned post :) Or SSF?

Oh and this was the best damn post here in ages! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭l pearse

What about a blue wristband :confused: With or without the logo.

http://www.astrix.ie/wristbands/astrix%20wristbands.pdf

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Or an over-the-shoulder sash, like a Peruvian president.

Styled facial hair.

berets at a jaunty angle

Red? Or black?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Yellow to be completely OTT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Powa to the [photography] People

wolfie_243x278.jpg

A definite boards.ie - the badge, the beret, and the secret hand movement.

A combination of all three perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

I vote for only taking photos whilst standing on one leg, wearing a yellow beret at a suitably jaunty angle and maybe whistling a well known tune which could be decided with the time honoured boards poll.

My 2pesetas..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Styled facial hair.

Hmm. What about us girls then:confused:

I would vote for a badge. Even though I am not sure I would wear it all the time I already wondered myself several times if I met someone from here.

Well, unless we go for a badge, I'm sure we could come up with some sort of fake moustach that would do in the interm. Unless you'd mind taking photos with facial hair? :pac:

Would other ladies be jealous and feel your facial hair was elite in comparison :D

(time for me to go to bed and wait for the hangover... 4 hours.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

What I believe is the most viable option for a badge\patch\thing is a sticker.
    I believe some earlier in the string mentioned one being attempted.
    I think that they would be the lest expensive most easily replaced and can be place on just about anything.

Or we could get a bunch of these printed up from snap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭pauline fayne

Hi all , have had great fun reading through this thread . A badge seems like a great idea .
    So far I'm just a lurker on the photography boards who hasnt the nerve to put up any pics yet . I love looking at everyones photos and the enthusiasm of everyone involved makes me look forward to going out and taking loads more myself with my little digital and maybe putting some up soon ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Go for it Pauline! :D

Yellow berets and facial hair - classic...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Panhour

..the yellow one might go with the yellow beret!!
    mustache-masks.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

If we made it a Raspberry Beret we could have a theme tune too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

CabanSail wrote: »
    If we made it a Raspberry Beret we could have a theme tune too.

Watch out for copyright though. :D

Just wondering about this facial hair ... would that apply also to the female members? Could make things very distinct and different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

How about a Maori style facial tatoo, no sexual discrimination then. Something tasteful in the shape of an SLR (of your brand allegiance of choice obviously) maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Didnt a lot of people here order the smugmug strap? So we can safely say anyone in ireland with one is a boardsie......

I'd like a yellow badge too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Or this perhaps!

RIDISG4__1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

landyman wrote: »
    Didnt a lot of people here order the smugmug strap? So we can safely say anyone in ireland with one is a boardsie.....

I think we have a winner.

TJM wrote: »
    I think we have a winner.

Dont think so, people who bought that bought it for function, not knowing that there was going to be some sort of boards.ie flag to wave when you take pics.

I move for a beret with a badge on it...

Or a badge with a picture of the boards character with a beret, mustache and fake cigar and absolutely no reference to a camera.

Ang on.. Nearly there..

header_adverts.gif

Something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Panhour

maybe not, the idea is good, but on a quick glance, its a man with an open trench coat and something verts.ie....

...run........run.......run away!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

What the hell happened to this thread?

A lot, we're just waiting for keyboard cat to play it off and we're done.

:pac:

Tuesday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

I hate having no 'tinternet for a couple of days - you miss a great thread.

Badges are a must for fellow boardsies. We are not eleitest. Some users may prefere photocopier manufactures to the genuine article, but the users are genuine nerds.

I think rather than a girlie pink ribbon on the front of my lens, or a straw hat restricting the sun from gracing my scalp, we need a badge to put a friendly face to a fellow boardsie.

A small image displayed on the badge depicting a friendly boardsie in his / her daily photog robe would be lovley.

614E38733A92491A9BFD0C79E5CAF520-160.jpg

614E38733A92491A9BFD0C79E5CAF520-160.jpg

Double Win.

• Advertisement

sandwich board and a bell?

Sandwich+board.jpg

I ain't wearing no badge. There's no room on the parka what with all the Specials and The Beat badges too...it'd clash.

I'm going to be mincing around the Africa Fest in The Iveagh Gardens (it's free in) at the weekend and I'll be wearing a big over-the-shoulder sash I've just run up on the Singer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

;)

:)
    Stinking Badges
    :D
    whyulittle wrote: »
    ;)
    We don't want no stinking badges

Well if you dont want to be associated with the IN gang, you don't have to be. We're not embarrased to be called nerds boardsies :p

Well if you dont want to be associated with the IN gang, you don't have to be. We're not embarrased to be called nerds boardsies :p

You look like a muslim milf dressed like that Buzz.

What Brownie is that you have in your hand?

humberklog wrote: »
    You look like a muslim milf dressed like that Buzz.

What Brownie is that you have in your hand?

Is that not how we all dress when we go out with our cameras :o:p

Its a brownie that my dad owned. Its got the word imperial across the front, but I haven't been able to find it on the web. I've just stuck a roll into it yesterday to give it a whirl.

Is that not how we all dress when we go out with our cameras :o:p

Its a brownie that my dad owned. Its got the word imperial across the front, but I haven't been able to find it on the web. I've just stuck a roll into it yesterday to give it a whirl.

It is...just with more badges.

Is it 120mm or 116mm? I've been reeling off loads of 35mm in mine but no way of uploading until I get a scanner.

humberklog wrote: »
    Is it 120mm or 116mm? I've been reeling off loads of 35mm in mine but no way of uploading until I get a scanner.

120mm. Although it's not perfect, Al mentioned a while ago that he uses a type of light box to photograph the negs for the web. It sound like an interesting idea, given that most of us here wouldn't becessarilly have scanners.

• Advertisement

Coulda done with a badge/sash/hand signal/hair-band on camera*/distinctive whistle/Boards logo strap today.
    I was at the African Festival (brilliant) today and asked three different likely looking people if they posted on Boards. Very weird looks off 2 but one did say that her husband posts here...and then looked at me weird.

*not that one.

Advertisement