Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architect of UCD passes away

Options
  • 15-05-2009 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

From todays Irish Times:

"Funeral of architect of UCD's Belfield

The funeral of the architect best known for designing UCD’s Belfield campus is to take place this morning.

Polish-born Andrzej Wejchert first came to Ireland in 1964 aged 27. After graduation from Warsaw Polytechnic, he won the open competition to design the Belfield campus. He won an RIAI Gold Medal for his design, which included the sculptural concrete water tower and the formal lake.

On the strength of this success he set up a practice in Dublin with his wife Danuta called A+D Wejchert and Partners.

The firm’s projects included Ballincollig Community School, Cork, and the Helix arts centre at DCU.

The Wejcherts designed their own house on Church Road, Killiney, in 1982, putting solar panels on its roof. Andrzej Wejchert died at his home in Killiney on Tuesday. He is survived by his wife Danuta, his architect daughter Agnieszka, his son Michael, who is a structural engineer, as well as his three grandchildren Sasha, Rebecca and Jude.

His funeral takes place after 10am Mass today in St Stephen’s Church, Killiney, with burial at Shanganagh Cemetery."

Not everyone likes the design but he did make parts of UCD iconic, I remember being fascinated by the watertower when I was growing up. Never knew he did the Helix as well though.

RIP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

As much as Belfield looks like a concrete jungle now, can you imagine what it must have been like for students going to UCD for the first time in the 1960s? I didn't think the architect actually ended up living in Ireland afterwards. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

1213735340682_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

It actually looks really nice without the gorse outsite the library

... and no students :p

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭noelfirl

Makes me think that if it was possible to blast clean the surfaces or even give them a paint, some visual aesthetic could be given to it. The importance of the bright sunshine in that photo cant be underestimated though :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

graduate wrote: »
    1213735340682_1.jpg

Wow, nice photo. What year was that taken do you know?
    noelfirl wrote: »
    ...The importance of the bright sunshine in that photo cant be underestimated though :pac:

Agreed. With a perfect blue sky there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

The Admin Building was built in 1972, so the picture was in 1973 or so.

more here
    http://www.wejchert.ie/project_images.php?projectId=1&parentId=1

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'm actually love the design - it was very modern for its age, and unlike some visual atrocities like the Engineering Building it has aged very well.

Advertisement