Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leeks - really thin seedlings every time - where am I doing wrong?

Options
  • 15-05-2009 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭

I might try a different brand but perhaps its me and my method.

Sewing them indoors.

Do they need loads of light (note all other seedlings in the same room are ok)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

Leeks always come up very thin and grass-like. Plant them into their holes, water them in, and they'll fill out in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

Leeks always come up very thin and grass-like. Plant them into their holes, water them in, and they'll fill out in no time.

+1

...almost feel bad planting them out because they are so scrawny but they are tough little so and so's and will usually do fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭worded

Do you bury them deep? With some green still above ground naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

Make a hole in the ground about 9 inches deep - I find the handle of a broken spade perfect - just push the handle 9 inches into the ground. Then just drop your baby leek into the hole and do not fill in the soil around it - just fill the hole with water. The leek will grow and will fill out the hole quickly. Some people trim the top off the shoots of the leek to just below ground level as this helps stop birds pulling them out until the roots have established. Also, trimming the roots to a length of about 2 inches helps them to get their roots into the ground quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

Also, trimming the roots to a length of about 2 inches helps them to get their roots into the ground quicker.

Conflicting advice here - in case it's of interest...
    With leeks a good rule of thumb is to get the seedling about as thick as a pencil. Dib a hole about six inches deep using something like a spade handle and drop the seedling in. Water well and allow the soil to fall back in naturally.

The old method of trimming the roots and top before transplanting leeks is not actually a good thing and has been shown to be detrimental. It's a big enough shock to the plant being taken out of its seedbed!
    But I'm no expert, this is my first year growing veg and I planted the seed straight out in the patch a month or so ago, seedlings coming up now. Just need to get some netting to keep random cats from digging holes everywhere and disturbing the veg that's trying to grow! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I planted leeks into my veggie patch striaght from the pack last march and still nothing. I have given up on them as maybe the cold weather killed them.

So planted the new seeds in little containers in the shed yesterday where they get good sunlight to see if anything happens(more of an experiment for these now).

To stop the cats i just put black netting over my small patch
    Mot balls keeps cats away too, not sure if you can use them in veggie patch though

Advertisement