Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a good book on nutrition

• 15-05-2009 1:38pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

Can someone please recommend a good book on nutrition?

It dosen't have to be phD level material but I would like a detailed / advanced read.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

It depends on what aspect of nutrition you are looking for. There are plenty of basic books about why you need fruit and veg and should eat brown rice regularly, but it sounds like you need something more advanced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

anita bean's - "the complete guide to sports nutrition" is good ! - bought a copy about 2 wks ago and some pretty good stuff in there

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for. Usually nutrition is something I read about at the end of a fitness book or article. I was thinking it would be a good idea to get a comprehensive reference to have at home on the bookshelf.

Stuff I'm interested in (but don't necessarily want to go into on this thread):

- how long before carbs/protein turn to fat?
    - how the body processes & responds to carbs/protein/fat

... and a million other things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

i actually looked into this before a bit (as I am also interested!) and had this saved in my wishlist @ amazon but I haven't bought it so can't personally recommend it or anything, but you can look at the TOC which gives you a bit of an idea.

http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Nutrition-Metabolism-Sareen-Gropper/dp/0495116572/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242401064&sr=8-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

This book is pretty good, I think one of the personal trainers in the fitness forums "prescribes" this book to clients.
    http://www.burnthefat.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

sports nutrition fundamentals/concepts: anita bean - complete guide to sports nutrition (6th ed.)

make sure to check for the latest edition, just went on release (april 2009: 6th ed)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

A website where you can get a lot of very technical questions answered is Lyle McDonald's site www.bodyrecomposition.com. He also has books on a lot of technical stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 davidf1412

I think this what you might want - it's great, accessible but sensible and serious. I use it in my work as a GP.

Food is Better Medicine than Drugs - Patrick Holford + Jerome Burne.

It's in Easons O'Connell St (basement) but should be widely available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 davidf1412

Optimum Nutrition Bible also good - Patrick Holford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

The Anabolic Diet in my sig is interesting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

Where do ya live Bossarky? If its Dublin check out your local library. www.dublincitypubliclibraries.ie
    If you have a look at the catalogue online you should find some decent stuff that you can reserve. That way you can check a few cooks out before you commit to buying any of them.
    There's some fad rubbish too but it should almost be obvious from the title.
    You can even sign up online, reserve a book and you'll get a phone call when its ready tens collection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Vampireskiss

This website will answer all your questions

www.precisionnutrition.com

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I will work through these and make a decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Hi,

this is a general college nutrition book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Human-Nutrition-Dietetics-J-S-Garrow/dp/0443041210/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242668570&sr=8-3 - I can look to see if I still have an old copy floating around - it is expensive but I loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lynnsback

Everyone studying or interested in nutrition should read The Diet Delusion by Gary Taubes. It is an amazing book. He delves deely into the science behnind nutrition. He explains why there are so many nutritional myths around. He shows very clearly how bad some of the science was and is.

It should be madatory for anyone working in the health field or anyone wanting to promote good health in themselves or others.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭samson09

The Optimum Nutrition Bible by Patrick Holford is a must read, it goes into detail but remains easy to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

BossArky wrote: »
    Hello,

Can someone please recommend a good book on nutrition?

It dosen't have to be phD level material but I would like a detailed / advanced read.

Thanks.

A good read for general overview and contemporary look at food is Michael Pollans 'In defense of food: an eaters manifesto'. very good read.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

lynnsback wrote: »
    Everyone studying or interested in nutrition should read The Diet Delusion by Gary Taubes. It is an amazing book. He delves deely into the science behnind nutrition. He explains why there are so many nutritional myths around. He shows very clearly how bad some of the science was and is.

It should be madatory for anyone working in the health field or anyone wanting to promote good health in themselves or others.

Could not agree more, the most mind blowing book I have ever read. It is really science based but incredibly well written. Seven years of detailed research pretty much covering every seminal scientific study on nutrition ever written. Five stars!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

lynnsback wrote: »

Sounds great, I'll but it this week, looking forward.

I read an interview with him today
    http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_interviews/eat_your_lungs_out_while_getting_leaner

rubadub wrote: »
    This book is pretty good, I think one of the personal trainers in the fitness forums "prescribes" this book to clients.
    http://www.burnthefat.com/

I looked for that in two bookshops and couldn't find it. Is it only available through the website? Amazon didn't have it either.
    DubFit wrote: »
    sports nutrition fundamentals/concepts: anita bean - complete guide to sports nutrition (6th ed.)

make sure to check for the latest edition, just went on release (april 2009: 6th ed)

Thanks DubFit. I just bought this on Amazon.
    hooplah wrote: »
    Where do ya live Bossarky? If its Dublin check out your local library. www.dublincitypubliclibraries.ie

London. My local library is fine... but a bit dated.

Thanks again everyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement