Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Curry Book.

Options
  • 15-05-2009 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭

Hey.

Just a simple recommendation. If you like to cook and you enjoy curries, get Madhur Jaffrey's Ultimate Curry Bible.

I got it a fortnight ago and I've been in curry nirvana since then. It's about €32.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Have it. Good recipe book. Not so good if you want to learn indian cooking from scratch, or to know why one combination of spices works and another doesn't.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Sparks wrote: »
    Not so good if you want to learn indian cooking from scratch, or to know why one combination of spices works and another doesn't.

Can you recommend a book/site for that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Sparks wrote: »
    Have it. Good recipe book. Not so good if you want to learn indian cooking from scratch, or to know why one combination of spices works and another doesn't.

I would recommend Curry, penned by various different writers and published by Dorling Kindersley, it goes into detail about the various spices used in different regions that eat curry.
    Well worth it IMO, and it is very reasonably priced.

Ponster wrote: »
    I wish. I bought the curry bible because I've been searching for a book that'd do a 'Good Eats' number on indian cooking. No luck yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The cinnamon club cookbook, ioqbal wahab. (Vivek Singh, the head chef at The Cinnamon Club, also contribues to the book that CJhaughey is recommending).

That goes into great detail of the nature of spices and the efforts the Cinnamon Club have made to turn curry into the Michelin Star territory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yes, 50 Great Curries of India by Cammellia Panjabi

It has a great introduction and lots of sides and relishes etc.

To be honest I dont think I've actually followed a curry recipe fully from it but rather use it as an Indian cooking reference book.

The sides are great in it - there's an amazing dahl recipe there.

I couldn't recommend this book enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

http://www.indian-recipe.org/curryforum/index.php?

Just bought this today...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Ordered it on Friday! Looking forward to having a go at some of the recipies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

let me know what you think.

It's worth taking the time to read all the stuff before the recipes .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I'm stuck in a rut curry-wise. I had a few recipes I used to use but I lost them. Looking forward to getting back into it, will let you know how I get on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

The cinnamon club cookbook, ioqbal wahab. (Vivek Singh, the head chef at The Cinnamon Club, also contribues to the book that CJhaughey is recommending).

That goes into great detail of the nature of spices and the efforts the Cinnamon Club have made to turn curry into the Michelin Star territory.

this is the best indian cookbook on the market atm. although having eaten there recently, the cinnamon club resturant is a long way off michelin star level.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Really, poor experience? Do tell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Wow, I forgot I started this thread. I have an arty picture of Jaffrey's book (taken by myself) on a blog post if anybody wants to ooh and ahh over it. The book's still going strong anyway. I've made about ten different curries so far. I'm having a housewarming party this weekend and I'll make a couple from it to have on the stove, ready for deployment after midnight when people get drunk and ravenous.

http://pauljkiernan.wordpress.com/2009/04/29/karwig_whites/

I must look out for that Cinnammon book. I would like to learn more about the theory alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

Really, poor experience? Do tell!

well i got the book about a year ago and had made many of the recipies. the recipies are fantastic imho and give great results. so my anticipation and expectation of this resturant was very high.
    I went on a romantic trip to london and brought the missus to benares resturant(atul kochhars michelin star) on the friday night. Benares food was astonishingly good, our best meal ever.
    two nights later we went to the cinnamon club. Amazingly, the food was very badly balanced, my curry was barely edible as it had a really awefull mustardy after taste. my wifes fish was undercooked and gave us both cramps soon after we left(we shared mains). our waitress was french and spoke pigeon english with a very heavy unintelligable accent.
    the building is an old library and inside in the dining room their are bookcases all around the outside. it gives a very formal feel and kills what should be a vibrant atmosphere, not to my taste.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I picked up a copy of the 50 Great Curries of India by Cammellia Panjab after some recommendations here. I'm going to mark about 10 curries to start with and cook at least 1 a week, this will help me avoid finding a couple I like and not exploring the book any further. The general info at the start is a good read too.

I noticed a lot of the recipes use powdered spices, cinnamon, coriander, etc.. Why are they not recommending grinding seeds freshly? Perhaps it's because people don't/won't grind them properly?

Any curries in particular I should head for first?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

It has a great introduction and lots of sides and relishes etc.

To be honest I dont think I've actually followed a curry recipe fully from it but rather use it as an Indian cooking reference book.

The sides are great in it - there's an amazing dahl recipe there.

I couldn't recommend this book enough!

I have this book too. Great book. Theres so much info at the start (first 60 pages) about all the spices and herbs.

Advertisement