Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cement Mixer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

They have an almost identical one to that in B&Q Waterford for €240. Made by Belle in the UK. I bought a smaller model for €150 and it has done the job well. The smaller one is easier to move about. The one pictured in your post really needs two people to lift it onto its legs, unless you happen to be a body builder:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

I would go electric if at all possible as they are much quieter and the motor will last much longer than the petrol, which can be a bitch to start when on the stand and empty, u can pull the whole lot over easily. I have mine for 29 years and after 2 petrol engines am on a Belle electric motor.

They work quite well off the stand for small amounts.
    Just keep it clean. Dont do what they do on many sites, leave it ober night and then 'bate' the drum with a lump hammer in the morning

re being a 2 man job the drum comes off and if u put plenty grease on the shaft before you put the drum back on and hand tighten it, then it will come off easily. Dont put on the drum and then let the drum tighten by running the motor, it wont come off.

Finally, with the drum off the rest is unstable and may topple back on the handles.

Happy mixing.
    ps they are concrete mixers, not cement:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭harly1516

You dont need two people to lift it on and off its made for one person, you place the drum face down thats the part you put the muck in on the ground then stick the stand in to it then grab the handles and pull it back to you it very easy.
    The same taking it apart just pull it by the handles back to you slowly and let it down.

Dont buy the smaller one its a compleat waste of time you would mix in a barrow quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

harly1516 wrote: »
    You dont need two people to lift it on and off its made for one person, you place the drum face down thats the part you put the muck in on the ground then stick the stand in to it then grab the handles and pull it back to you it very easy.
    The same taking it apart just pull it by the handles back to you slowly and let it down.

Dont buy the smaller one its a compleat waste of time you would mix in a barrow quicker.

The above procedure will not work on some of the mixers because of the gearbox oil spilling out: it depends on the make and design so just be aware

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I've used the Belle mixer (on stand) in the past and found it very good, as suggested already keep it clean and give it a once over with some grease every now and then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 mossysheehan

Thanks everyone,

Ya, i think i'll go with the electric belle minimix 150L in B&Q. They don't have them back in stock in Waterford till next week. Mahon in cork only have em the odd time apparently. I'm not sure if its 110V or 240V. Belle make both. I presume they would both come with a standard irish domestic 3 prong plug? Whats the difference in 110V and 240V besides the obvious? Are there different connections? I have a generator that has a switch to provide either 110V and 240V. And a connection for it for a domestic plug. I presume this will do. Again thanks again everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Thanks everyone,

Ya, i think i'll go with the electric belle minimix 150L in B&Q. They don't have them back in stock in Waterford till next week. Mahon in cork only have em the odd time apparently. I'm not sure if its 110V or 240V. Belle make both. I presume they would both come with a standard irish domestic 3 prong plug? Whats the difference in 110V and 240V besides the obvious? Are there different connections? I have a generator that has a switch to provide either 110V and 240V. And a connection for it for a domestic plug. I presume this will do. Again thanks again everyone.

Yes the B&Q machines are 220 volt ac and have a standard 3-pin plug. They will run happily off the domestic mains. I'm not aware that B&Q sell the 110 volt model, but would be worth making sure when you buy. A 110 volt machine would use twice the current that a 220 volt one would, and might be too much for a small generator.

Advertisement