Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How safe is temple bar at 10.00pm

Options
  • 15-05-2009 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

I’m doing a course in Temple Bar for 12 weeks, it is only on for two nights a week, (Tuesday and Wednesday) and it finish up a 10 each nigh. I just want know how safe it is at that time as I’ll be travelling by myself .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

if you just keep yourself to yourself you will be grand. hands in pockets and head down sort of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

?

If anything happens one of the few thousand American tourists in the area will get it on camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Ha you'll be grand. That sort of pointless worrying only attracts attention. its like locking the doors when a scumbag walks past the car. They can hear the locks too....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 irishspark

Jesus guys its Dublin, not Baghdad. I can honestly say that the only trouble ever to rise from Temple Bar is the drunken idiots that stumble across your path with angel wings hanging from their backs, or big badges or stupid named t shirts " ....on tour"....
    Plus 10pm??? Sure thats the afternoon! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

This is probably the worst post I've ever seen. Hahaha, i mean the ****?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Although the fact may not fit in with the world view of most Dubliners, Temple Bar is easily the most dangerous part of the city centre. Tuesday and Wednesdays should be grand though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

latenia wrote: »
    Temple Bar is easily the most dangerous part of the city centre
    I agree - slippery vomit everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

BTW i'm coming from Country .

Although the fact may not fit in with the world view of most Dubliners, Temple Bar is easily the most dangerous part of the city centre. Tuesday and Wednesdays should be grand though.
    you would be right i am from dublin and you would be completely and utterly wrong in thinking that it is the most dangerous part of the city centre. I would think the boardwalk starting from eden quay and going east would carry much more risk...
    hate to think what way some posters would get by in an actual dangerous country?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

:pac:

As for OP, temple bar is one of the safest place to be in dublin so you've n othing to worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

As long as you carry some sort of concealed weapon, a can of mace and body armour you'll be fine.

What would make you think it's dangerous? Yes, there are a couple of incidents a week, but thousands of people drink there every week. In the past I've worked in more than one pub in Temple Bar. You've nothing to worry about.

While you're there go to the Porterhouse and drink some of the best beer in the city!

yes we are all knife wielding savages.... wait, thats Limerick :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I don't want the thread to degenerate into "what area is worse" thing, but the chances of being mugged, pickpocketed or getting punched for no reason by a stranger are higher here than anywhere else in Dublin.
    Someone mentioned the boardwalk, but the junkies there are only sitting around off their heads or buying smack. When they want to fund their habit, they head to Temple Bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I don't want the thread to degenerate into "what area is worse" thing,

[mod note]

It better not

also, people, please keep the posts civil :)

[/mod note]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've worked on the door's of most bar's & clubs in Templebar over the last 15+ years and would say with some confidence that its one of the safest places in Dublin.

OP you'll be fine, in fact around that time in the area is really nice and chilled.

But like everywhere else at night, just don't be a dummy and play be the usual big citytown rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

mach1982 wrote: »
    I’m doing a course in Temple Bar for 12 weeks, it is only on for two nights a week, (Tuesday and Wednesday) and it finish up a 10 each nigh. I just want know how safe it is at that time as I’ll be travelling by myself .

Its not that bad! Just make sure you dodge out of the way of all the projectile vomiters!:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I live in temple bar and never had any problems, its well policed cops going up and down regularly, the only problems you'll likely expierience would be if your out at 3 in the morning when the pubs close, lots of drunkeness then! But nah you'll be fine I'm sure just stay in the centre and avoiding the queys would be a good idea,

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

But like everywhere else at night, just don't be a dummy and play be the usual big citytown rules.

+1.

To be honest, I think some people should never be let out on their own as they seem to have 'victim' written on their forehead, and casual street crime seems to find them.

I've always felt comfortable walking through Temple Bar by myself. OP, if you do want to avoid it go up onto Dame Street out of Temple Bar and walk around it down by Bank Of Ireland and Trinity and along Westmoreland St. I wouldn't advise the quays if you feel anxious on Dublin Streets - Dame St is very well lit and always busy (but not as much up at the Christchurch end).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I don't want the thread to degenerate into "what area is worse" thing, but the chances of being mugged, pickpocketed or getting punched for no reason by a stranger are higher here than anywhere else in Dublin.
    Someone mentioned the boardwalk, but the junkies there are only sitting around off their heads or buying smack. When they want to fund their habit, they head to Temple Bar.

Do you actually have any stats to back any of that up? Certainl for being mugged I'd say temple bar is one of the safe places due to the high number of people always around, the security cameras and a usual very busy police presence. You'd be doing well to walk from one end of temple bar to the other without see police walking around.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Definitely grand OP, I've walked through at about quarter past 11 loads of times after gigs and stuff. It's only ever hen parties and Americans, more annoying than dangerous tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭unwyse

imho,not safe at all,and the later it gets the worse it gets. the secret is not to make eye contact with anyone and even then ,keep your wits about you. temple bar is a kip.:(:(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭lost_soul

It's very safe IMHO. I often walk through temple bar intentionally during the night as to me it feel much safer than walking down other streets in the city. There's always loads about and its very well lit. Nothing to be worried about. There's actually more of a buzz of excitement around the place than anything else!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

unwyse wrote: »
    imho,not safe at all,and the later it gets the worse it gets. the secret is not to make eye contact with anyone and even then ,keep your wits about you. temple bar is a kip.:(:(:(:(

I live in temple bar, so I'm sure I'd know a bit about the place :rolleyes: , its not a kip, lots of security and as has been said its prob the safest place in dublin, especially because I don't think they want the tourists not feeling safe :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

lol this thread is hilarious.

Temple Bar is grand. I don't know where all this crap is coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

unwyse wrote: »

Has anything ever actually happened to you in Temple Bar or are you just afraid that it might possibly one day maybe?

It's a hugely popular drinking spot so there's the usual rowdiness that that brings but as others have said, there's just too many people and a strong enough Garda presence that I've always considered it safe enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

temple bar at 10:00?

seriously you have no worrys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

oh no another emo thread

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

I work night shift and end up walking around dublin at all hours, walk between abbey st and around temple bar between mightnight and 6am.. no issues at all. Plenty of guards around the place, well lit, only trouble you are going to have is drunks but they're the same any town in the country so its no different really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,208 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

While I agree nothing major really ever happens in Temple Bar, the narrow 'main' street late at night gives the impression of being just an accidental nudged shoulder away from kicking off.

There is a marked difference between the crowd in, say, Galway city centre, where everyone seems out for a good time and Temple Bar where there is always an undercurrent of potential trouble.

That said, the OP will be fine. Ten is fairly early and people are not yet tanked up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Don't wear white socks and if you do make sure they aren't visible to people.

Besides for that Temple Bar is a fine area. Pleasant to walk around particularly as it is still BRIGHT past ten o'clock for the next 2 months

Advertisement