Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI reg car stopped by Customs.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Technique

What gets on my goat is the lack of enforcement on the people from Northern Ireland who have moved across the border to Donegal in recent years. They're still all driving their NI cars. It's not as if they try to keep it hidden, as a drive around the new housing estates in any border village will testify.

It hurt me to pay €4k to bring my car across last year. It hurts me to pay €850 road tax each year. It hurts me even more to see the thousands who don't have to play by the same rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 crusader123

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

And there are problems North of the Border too.

http://www.derryjournal.com/journal/Rage-as-Donegal-drivers-targeted.5885690.jp

I was being driven across the Foyle Bridge which had a police roadblock last month and, like the Journal, noticed that only Donegal cars were being inspected: NI cars were waved on.

Hi Essexboy

I read this in the Derry Journal today about the harassment of the southern drivers. They claim it was over road tax being out of date but I would put it down to pure sectarianism - southern cars are easily recognised. Derry people had this for years during the troubles from these people. Makes no sense at all either given the boost to the local economy in Derry as a result of all those Donegal people coming over the border to shop. But then the guys doing this probably came from Coleraine or Ballymena !!

Don't let officialdom grind you down, I say, whatever side of the border you are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

eddie73 wrote: »
    yes the customs can stop and even take the car from you. They have powers to enter your home believe it or not.

Vrt has to be paid if you buy a car outside the republic and import it here. You have 24 hours to pay it, and if you dont, you face a fine of 200 euro per day.

You need the requisite documentation in order to pay it so if you are buying a car either privately or from an auction, make sure to get the V5 cert. The change of ownership documentation is handeled by the seller, who sends on your signature to the road authority.

Once you have paid the vrt in the revenue office, you are issued with a southern reg number, which has to be attatched within 3 days. The car can be taxed immediately after the vrt has been paid, not before it, so its important to have the V5 form to present to the revenue to pay the vrt.

Vrt costs in and around 2000 euro, and depending on engine size and emmissions, it could be slightly lower, or considerably higher (based on a 1.9 Litre engine).

And finally, the Customs and Gardai are really cracking down on vrt evasion, which can be done by using an address outside the country while living and working here.

Vrt is justified by the cheaper fuel costs here relative to UK and continental prices on fuel.

Talk about posting a lot of drivel, where did you pull your facts and figures out of exactly???

• Advertisement

Cannot understand this reply as I commented on Northern Customs not southern VRT. This stuff is over three months old.

However, I have researched my facts and figures, Farls, and so should you. Check out EU regulations on cross border trade. The ROI is in breach of these on VRT. It seems ROI only want EU (a la Lisbon treaty) when it suits them or when there is an opportunity to levy more tax on ordinary people to boost their collapsing economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Cannot understand this reply as I commented on Northern Customs not southern VRT. This stuff is over three months old.

However, I have researched my facts and figures, Farls, and so should you. Check out EU regulations on cross border trade. The ROI is in breach of these on VRT. It seems ROI only want EU (a la Lisbon treaty) when it suits them or when there is an opportunity to levy more tax on ordinary people to boost their collapsing economy.
    whos economy is collapsing ?

Hi getz

All of them by the look of it!

Sorry I'll be a little clearer...

They have powers to enter your home believe it or not.

They can enter your property, I didn't know they could enter your home though?

Vrt has to be paid if you buy a car outside the republic and import it here. You have 24 hours to pay it, and if you dont, you face a fine of 200 euro per day.

You should give this a read Governments VRT Leaflet

Where does it say 24hrs and 200 euro per day fine??

Once you have paid the vrt in the revenue office

You could just post in the forms

Vrt costs in and around 2000 euro, and depending on engine size and emmissions, it could be slightly lower, or considerably higher (based on a 1.9 Litre engine).

I've paid VRT on a 1.9 peugeot before that cost me 600 euro, a 1.6 citroen that cost almost 4k, a 2.5 litre mitsubishi that cost 5k but came down to 3k after an appeal and I've seen a 2.0 mitsubishi cost 22.5k on VRT alone :eek:

VRT is basically from 50 euro up.

Vrt is justified by the cheaper fuel costs here relative to UK and continental prices on fuel.

Ermmmmm...link???

An Irishman's home is his castle. Does that include his garage but?

• Advertisement

An Irishman's home is his castle. Does that include his garage but?

Stupid is as stupid does.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Settle down here lads.

crusader123 think before you post please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

The Customs and Excise Enforcement Manual is available online.

See http://www.revenue.ie/en/about/foi/s16/customs/enforcement/chapter-3-powers.pdf
    which says "Statutory powers of entry/search do not extend to private dwellings. However, these powers can be exercised in the garden, yard or driveway of a dwelling."

It also covers stopping vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dave_brent

I am from Donegal, living in the north, i was getting it from the police to exchange my ROI license to NI license...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭RodgerTheDoger

I have seen a lot of post around cars VRT north and south tax poilice checks etc...

The PSNI checking ROI cars I do not think is sectarianism, everything these days is becoming automated, in the UK they do not need to stop you anymore, they have machines that check your reg and they know right away if you car has insurance, tax, MOT / NCT etc... The loophole is that the ROI and NI are not yet a joint system so they cannot do this with ROI cars. The reason they do not stop the UK cars to check tax is cause they don't have to anymore.
    If your car is not street legal i.e. does not have insurance, tax or nct - in any country you can be fined - The problem in NI is that if this was a UK car - they would take your details and if you did not pay the fine they would come to your home and you would be summed to court to pay the fine - They cannot do this to people in the ROI but they can arrest them and hold them and hold the car until the fine is paid. Also they cannot put points on your licence they cannot even take you licence if you are caught drink driving, I know a few people banned in the UK and drive in the ROI and vice versa.

VRT is just a by product of rip off ireland, VRT is simply to stop people buying cars in the north - They say the need to cover import charges as ireland does not actually manufacture any cars. But all rubbish!

But at the end of the day if you do not pay it the Customs can come to your home and lift your car.

muffler wrote: »
    Settle down here lads.

crusader123 think before you post please.

Muffler, what do you mean. farls is being insulting here.

From my cold dead fingers, friend.
    I have seen a lot of post around cars VRT north and south tax poilice checks etc...

The PSNI checking ROI cars I do not think is sectarianism, everything these days is becoming automated, in the UK they do not need to stop you anymore, they have machines that check your reg and they know right away if you car has insurance, tax, MOT / NCT etc... The loophole is that the ROI and NI are not yet a joint system so they cannot do this with ROI cars. The reason they do not stop the UK cars to check tax is cause they don't have to anymore.
    If your car is not street legal i.e. does not have insurance, tax or nct - in any country you can be fined - The problem in NI is that if this was a UK car - they would take your details and if you did not pay the fine they would come to your home and you would be summed to court to pay the fine - They cannot do this to people in the ROI but they can arrest them and hold them and hold the car until the fine is paid. Also they cannot put points on your licence they cannot even take you licence if you are caught drink driving, I know a few people banned in the UK and drive in the ROI and vice versa.

VRT is just a by product of rip off ireland, VRT is simply to stop people buying cars in the north - They say the need to cover import charges as ireland does not actually manufacture any cars. But all rubbish!

But at the end of the day if you do not pay it the Customs can come to your home and lift your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This is essentially being discussed in another thread so no need to have both running concurrently. Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement