Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serial (F) to Serial (F)

Options
  • 15-05-2009 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

I am looking for a solution to connect a machine to PC over serial cable with a distance of 20 to 25 mts. Is this possible? I think there would prob be too much data loss over that distance with serial cable (and therefore a serial cable that length probably doesn't exist).

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

I've used 100Metres for serial connections with no problems. Suspect it migh depend on the data rate. For longer runs I use std CAT5 cable and teminations with Cat5 to serial plugs.
    remote_10s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

*before I say it... dont shout if I'm wrong!

I wanted something like this for a Juniper Olive box on VMware that I was running.
    Isn't the pinout the same as a "null modem cable"?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fr0g

Thanks ttm, where would you get a cable that length? I have tried 2 suppliers but was told by both that 25 mts was too long. The CAT5 to serial plugs is another option i might look into.

iRock wrote: »
    *before I say it... dont shout if I'm wrong!

I wanted something like this for a Juniper Olive box on VMware that I was running.
    Isn't the pinout the same as a "null modem cable"?

If you are referning to the picture they don't always come prewired. You get the two halves and wire up the pins anyway you want. They normally start out looking like this.....DB9M_RJ45.JPG
    ... and you put the pins or female sockets (theres both a male and female version) in the position you require.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

25 mtrs shouldn't be too long. I've wired CNC machines over longer lenghts with serial.
    You will probably have to make ( or get someone else to) the cables yourself.

This site has good info on pin outs of various configurations.
    http://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/cable/RS-232.html#pins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fr0g

After consideration I have decided to go with the CAT5/rs232 adaptor. I'm more comfortable with cabling CAT5. Thanks for heads up ttm

I think Fuzzy Clams link has all the info you need (and for iRock).

I seem to remember that the 3 wire "Simple RS232 null modem without handshaking" has worked for me in 99% of cases - mostly connecting up office PC's to CNC machines ;). So start with that and add the extra connections for handshaking if you find you need them. Better still get it working with a two metre long cable, laptop to serial device then open up the seral cable plugs and duplicate the wiring you need.

Radio Spares and Farnells have the serial/cat5 plugs (at least they always used to).

Advertisement